The Field Guide by Tony DiTerlizzi

The Field Guide (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Tony DiTerlizzi, Holly Black

Member:ilikethesebooks
Title:The Field Guide
Authors:Tony DiTerlizzi
Other authors:Holly Black
Info:Thorndike Press (2006), Hardcover, 144 pages
Rating:*****

The Field Guide by Holly Black (2003)

The Moorchild by Eloise McGraw (Bitter_Grace)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (fyrefly98, cmbohn)
    fyrefly98: Very similar stories (kids in a creepy old house learn to see magical creatures all around them), although I think Fablehaven skews just a little older than the Spiderwick Chronicles.
    The New Brighton Archeological Society by Mark Andrew Smith (FFortuna)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Hollerama)
    The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver (C.Vick)
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by David Sinden (FFortuna)
    The Various by Steve Augarde (avatiakh)

English (83)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Afrikaans (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (90)
After their parents divorce, twins Jared and Simon Grace and their mom and sister Mallory move into Aunt Lucy's falling down Victorian house. Simon is the animal lover, Mallory the athletic fencer, and Jared is always in trouble at home and school for his acting-out behavior. The old house seems to be populated with odd creatures playing pranks. Jared thinks he's found the answer when he discovers a book in the attic, "Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You." Soon the kids begin encountering boggarts, a mannikin, goblins, brownies and trolls.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Wish the books were longer. Seems like a couple chapters of one book than a book on its own. The illustrations were wonderful. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
It's possible that I would have loved these as a 9-year-old. However, as a 19-year-old, the first book hasn't captured my imagination enough to make me want to read the rest of the series - though I might check out the movie sometime. As another reviewer pointed out, it's a beautifully packaged little book, but it isn't exceptionally well-written. ( )
  TheEditrix | Jan 13, 2016 |
First of all, I think I should comment on the presentation of this book. I don't normally judge novels based on this but this is a work of art. I'm reading from the hardbacked version and it's certainly a keeper. It looks good on the shelf and is filled with wonderfully imaginative illustrations. I also love the way that it's all laid out to make it seem like a true story, with a photocopy of an original page from the guide book and letter from Holly Black explaining how she came by it. The book would certainly make a wonderful gift for a child and would earn a cherished place in their collect.

As for the book itself, I actually enjoyed it far more than I was expecting. The story is very light and quick to read and utterly brimming with imagination. The setting is incredibly memorable and the story certainly kept its target audience in mind, creating a simple premise that was easy to follow and yet maintained an element of mystery up until the final page to hold a pre-teen's interest.

The three main characters all had very different voices and so worked very well as a group, with Mallory as the tough older sister, Simon as the sensitive one and Jared as the trouble maker who nobody believed (even when he was telling the truth). I also liked the subplot about their parent's divorce as it added a bit of realism to their world, while at the same time explaining some of Jared's motivations.

The only thing that I found disappointing was the length. The book is incredibly short and, as the series is just a five part story, the sceptic in me felt a little like it was so divided in order to wring more money out of the buyer. Yet, I'd say it's still probably worth it in the end - it was a really fun read! ( )
1 vote ArkhamReviews | Jun 29, 2015 |
Such a cool book!

I absolutely loved the illustrations. They really brought the words to life.

This book is one of those perfect pieces of literature that, while written for young readers, can be enjoyed by adults as well. This is truly a book for all ages.

I have seen the movie adaptation of the series (three times, in fact) but I am still frantic to start the second book to find out what happens next. ( )
  CareBear36 | Mar 26, 2015 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DiTerlizzi, TonyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandmother, Melvina, who said I should write a book just like this one and to whom I replied that I never would --H. B.

For Arthur Rackham, may you continue to inspire others as you have me --T. D.
If someone had asked Jared Grace what jobs his brother and sister would have when they grew up, he would have had no trouble replying.
The strangest thing, however, was the subject matter. The book was full of information about faeries.

The room had a low ceiling, and the walls were covered in bookshelves. Looking around, he realized there was no door.

AR 4.2, Pts 1.0

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689859368, Hardcover)

The first book in a beautifully produced series of five, The Field Guide sets up the story of the Grace children--13-year-old Mallory and 9-year-old twins Jared and Simon--who with their mother move into the dilapidated Spiderwick Estate only to quickly find themselves sucked into a dark and fascinating world of faeries.

Superficially, the Spiderwick Chronicles smack of Lemony Snicket, with its "true story" setup and breathless warnings ("Go away/close the book/put it down/do not look"). But Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black owe no one for the intensely absorbing world they've created. Black certainly showed fey promise in her slightly freaky debut and DiTerlizzi has weird cred to spare, from his zany Jimmy Zangwow to countless credits for the Magic: The Gathering card game.

By combining their ample skill with thoughtful art direction and demanding production values, the duo has succeeded in creating a series with irresistible appeal. Each book promises a quick read, snappy plot progression, and dozens of DiTerlizzi's imaginative pen-and-ink drawings. So if you're drawn to The Field Guide at all, you might as well save yourself the trouble and make sure you have the second book (The Seeing Stone handy. (Ages 6 to 10) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

When the Grace children go to stay at their Great Aunt Lucinda's worn Victorian house, they discover a field guide to fairies and other creatures and begin to have some unusual experiences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,147,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible