The Field Guide by Tony DiTerlizzi

The Field Guide (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Tony DiTerlizzi, Holly Black

Member:ilikethesebooks
Title:The Field Guide
Authors:Tony DiTerlizzi
Other authors:Holly Black
Info:Thorndike Press (2006), Hardcover, 144 pages
Rating:*****

The Field Guide by Holly Black (2003)

The Moorchild by Eloise McGraw (Bitter_Grace)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (fyrefly98, cmbohn)
    fyrefly98: Very similar stories (kids in a creepy old house learn to see magical creatures all around them), although I think Fablehaven skews just a little older than the Spiderwick Chronicles.
    The New Brighton Archeological Society by Mark Andrew Smith (FFortuna)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Hollerama)
    The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver (C.Vick)
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by David Sinden (FFortuna)
    The Various by Steve Augarde (avatiakh)

English (77)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Afrikaans (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (84)
Short and simple, but oh so good. The three Grace children perfectly compliment each other, and the descriptions perfectly match the excellent illustrations. There are some very chilling elements to Spiderwick, which is expected since it's Holly Black. But even though I got a few shivers down my spine, I'd still feel comfortable giving this to a younger reader. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 3, 2014 |
The main characters are Jared, Simon, and Mallory.
Jared Is the one that opened the book.
The book is about a guy named spiderwick.
Spiderwick is the guy that made the book.
The book basically says that everything magical is real.
They kind of have a little war with trolls.

This book to me is not really that good in my opinion.
There is just much stuff.
The story-line is weird.
I think this series is base for a smaller audience.
Well it took me one hour to read it.
So that probably explains it. ( )
  JaredC.Blue4 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Three siblings, Grace, Jared, and Simon move into an old house, belonging to their aunt, with their mother. Jared discovers that there is an angry fairy in the house who is terrorizing the family. He takes it upon himself to find the fairy and make things right. This is a very magical and gripping book. Spiderwick Chronicles is an engaging read for a middle aged child who is interested in magic and fairies, especially because there are maps and pictures that throughout the book. Although there are magical elements in this book, the fantastical creatures are friendly and innocent. Personally, I was happy to see that there was a strong female lead. ( )
  natalienichols | Mar 4, 2014 |
The original reason I didn't read this book is because of all how it looked like simply a ripoff of the popularity of Series of Unfortunate Events. However, when the movie came out, I went and saw it and thought the story line was really cool so I decided to finally pick it up (plus I found out one of the coauthors was Holly Black, and I really loved her other books).
While this book does have some, almost painful in their obviousness, similarities to Unfortunate Events, by the end of this short installment I had fallen in love with the original parts of the story. I also thought that the fact that the book was only 128 pages long might make it easier for younger readers to get through; this is one thing that might, perhaps, make it better then Unfortunate Events.
As compared to the rest of Black's books, this work is slightly better then some of her attempts flying solo. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
I can't remember what I thought of this book - I read it so long ago!
I think I liked it?... I remember nearly going out of my mind when the library didn't have the last one, anyway...
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DiTerlizzi, TonyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandmother, Melvina, who said I should write a book just like this one and to whom I replied that I never would --H. B.

For Arthur Rackham, may you continue to inspire others as you have me --T. D.
If someone had asked Jared Grace what jobs his brother and sister would have when they grew up, he would have had no trouble replying.
The strangest thing, however, was the subject matter. The book was full of information about faeries.

The room had a low ceiling, and the walls were covered in bookshelves. Looking around, he realized there was no door.

AR 4.2, Pts 1.0

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689859368, Hardcover)

The first book in a beautifully produced series of five, The Field Guide sets up the story of the Grace children--13-year-old Mallory and 9-year-old twins Jared and Simon--who with their mother move into the dilapidated Spiderwick Estate only to quickly find themselves sucked into a dark and fascinating world of faeries.

Superficially, the Spiderwick Chronicles smack of Lemony Snicket, with its "true story" setup and breathless warnings ("Go away/close the book/put it down/do not look"). But Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black owe no one for the intensely absorbing world they've created. Black certainly showed fey promise in her slightly freaky debut and DiTerlizzi has weird cred to spare, from his zany Jimmy Zangwow to countless credits for the Magic: The Gathering card game.

By combining their ample skill with thoughtful art direction and demanding production values, the duo has succeeded in creating a series with irresistible appeal. Each book promises a quick read, snappy plot progression, and dozens of DiTerlizzi's imaginative pen-and-ink drawings. So if you're drawn to The Field Guide at all, you might as well save yourself the trouble and make sure you have the second book (The Seeing Stone handy. (Ages 6 to 10) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:45 -0400)

When the Grace children go to stay at their Great Aunt Lucinda's worn Victorian house, they discover a field guide to fairies and other creatures and begin to have some unusual experiences.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,992,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible