Love and Other Natural Disasters by Holly…

Love and Other Natural Disasters

by Holly Shumas

Eve is eight months pregnant when she discovers that her husband has been having an affair. She kicks him out but has trouble finding support amongst friends and family because Jon was having an emotional affair, not a physical one. A lot of people don't think it counts as an affair since he didn't sleep with the other woman, but Eve feels betrayed all the same. This is an interesting spin on an affair story because Shumas is a marriage therapist, so it's not a fluffy read - there's a lot of interesting information to be learned. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Is an emotional affair really an "affair?" I had never thought about it, but after reading this book, I have to agree that in some ways it is more intimate than a physical one.

Eve, 8 months pregnant, mother to a toddler, and enjoying a family Thanksgiving finds her husband whispering on the phone to a "friend." The rest of the book (a little too long) is what ensues with this couple,the birth of their daughter, her two best friends: one about to get married, the other a free spirit that finds her brother attractive, and a lot of therapy. ( )
  coolmama | Dec 2, 2010 |
This book was a quick read. I found myself really wanting this couple to stay together, and in the end, was really disappointed with how the book ended. I realize that this topic hits close to home for a lot of people, but some resolution would have been good to see, rather than the build up of everything. I could have done without the mother and brother characters in this book. I thought that the writing was very well done, but felt that there was still an element missing, which left me wanting more. ( )
1 vote jdy | Jan 11, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is my first Early Reviewer review, I'm a bit nervous!

This book deals with the fallout of an emotional affair carried out via phone and e-mail. To me it seemed a little bit like the thought behind the book was "Hey, emotional affairs are a hot new topic just ripe for having a novel written about them!" While that probably wasn't the case, I really got that vibe and it put me off a bit.

I agree with the reviewer who thought they were in for a "man-bashing" novel at first - it really seemed like it was going to be a typical woman-gets-revenge-on-cheating spouse novel, which I've had enough of. But as the story unfolded, we see both Jon and Eve's perspectives. Unfortunately, I didn't particularly like either character. While I think it's probably quite a realistic portrayal of the ugliness of such a situation, neither character behaved particularly well or was particularly likeable, in my opinion. Jon did come off the worst, - first as a liar, then as a whiner, and then very angry.

My favourite character was Charlie, Eve's younger brother who comes to live with her as a nanny. He turns out to be wonderful with the kids and turns his formerly layabout ways around.

As other reviewers have mentioned, it is thought-provoking, as neither Jon nor Eve are "right." It's also a journey of self-discovery for them both. Overall, I found that the author put perhaps a bit too much of her counselor roots into the book and, as another reviewer mentioned, it's rather depressing. But the book does end on a cautiously hopeful note, which is at least something and it's better than having everything solved neatly, which would not have been realistic. ( )
  tinylittlelibrarian | Aug 10, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't able to finish this book. Not because it wasn't well written, the subject matter just hit too close to home. I hope to pick up the author's previous book and give it a try. ( )
  jules72653 | Aug 3, 2009 |
Some years, I gaze around the Thanksgiving table and I feel almost painfully grateful for my own bounty, for the abundance that is my life, for everything that brought me to this moment, with these people, inside this light.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:33 -0400)

Eve is eight months pregnant and in the middle of a Thanksgiving celebration when she discovers that her husband Jonathan has developed an intimate relationship with a woman over the past year. Jonathon asserts his innocence (an affair involves physical intimacy, and he didn't have any), while Eve feels deeply betrayed by the emotional connection he shared with someone else. What Jon has done seems so terrifyingly out of character that Eve finds herself questioning her entire reality. Did she ever really know Jon at all? Was their happiness together a lie? Is emotional intimacy more forgivable than sexual intimacy? And can their marriage survive?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Holly Shumas's book Love and Other Natural Disasters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Holly Shumas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,090,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible