The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

The Warded Man

by Peter V. Brett

Recently added byShaidz, aeromaxtran, NineLarks, private library, Farbenfinsternis, bookqueenshelby
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (jm501)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another book with phenomenal world-building and complex plot told through the points-of-view of interconnected characters.
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (saltmanz)
    Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Both feature a mysterious, tattooed warrior whose exploits make him a local legend.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (jancolsum)
    Frost Moon by Anthony Francis (infiniteletters)
    Running With the Demon by Terry Brooks (infiniteletters)
    Foundling by D. M. Cornish (infiniteletters)

English (120)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (124)
I don't know how this book was rated so highly, maybe people see something that I'm not reading. But I thoroughly disliked this book. I read 250 pages into the book, skimmed through the second half, and then decided it was worth any more of my time.

It has potential, yes. The concept of demons at night and wards to stop the carnage is fascinating. Not new, but still lots of potential. The rise of humanity against an oppressor. Also not new, but there is a lot you can do with it. So none of my problems were with the premise. I just could not freaking stand the characters!
They were all just so stupid, so unrealistic. I hated everyone. I don't think there was a single character that I liked.

The parents and adults were always worthless. Cowards or bitter liars and hypocrites. The main protagonists were always so self righteously obnoxious in how right they were. Arlen kept calling his dad a coward. And while, yeah, it's true, it was so fake. Arlen has been with his dad since he was little. And then all of a sudden he comes to the realization that his dad is a coward for doing the same things he's always done. What? There was no change that made Arlen realize those points. Nothing to imply that Arlen would not agree at least a little with his parents's opinions. It was all just too clear cut. Arlen was right. His dad is a coward. Everyone is a coward for not fighting back. Arghhh are you serious?! I hate one dimensional characters. There was absolutely no sympathy for the father. And when the main character is always "right", I feel like its a cop- out. Nobody can be always right. And it makes for an annoyingly perfect character.

Same with that girl Leesha. Her mom is a crazy whore and hypocrite that hates her. Her father is a wimp. Leesha is always in the right. Boring. And what is this characterization of female characters? Is every girl a whore or something? And does sexuality define every girl? Apparently so in this book.

And where is the freaking plot? I kept looking for it, but there was just so much character background I just stopped caring.
I wanted to learn about wards or clever plots. Not about how these characters were always right against other stupid villagers.

One star. I can't even finish this book. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

One star. I can't even finish this book. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has a great set-up and the concepts of magic are well thought through and interesting but the ending really lets the book down. It is possible that the rest of the series makes up for the ending but I am not inclined to continue on. ( )
  morwen04 | Jul 24, 2014 |
Amazing book. Just amazing. ( )
  Me-chan | Jun 19, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite series and I can't wait for the fourth installment. I usually have a hard time describing it but I'll do my best. At one time mankind was in a battle with demons for control of the night. Eventually we developed battle wards and such and were able to beat-back the demon scourge enough that they ceased coming to our world. People became complacent and forgot the battle wards.
Unfortunately the demons didn't forget and after the numbers had increased they returned to slaughter mankind.
Most people cowered in fear, hiding behind protection wards at night but when one young boy - Arlen- witnesses his mother's mutilation and subsequent death due in part to his father's inaction and fear things change. He sets out on a journey to find people who battle the demons not just hide from them and his life is changed forever.
He becomes a man, the warded man and to many the Deliverer though it is a title he does not relish. In desperation after being betrayed by a friend and let for dead in the desert he wards his body to survive.

But there is a Krasian man who was once his Arlen's friend who fancies himself the Deliverer. He sets out to conquer, for what he thinks is the good of man, the other kingdoms for soldiers in his war against the demons.
Together with Leesha, a young healer and Rojer man who uses a fiddle to sooth the savage demons; Arlen must teach others to take back the night and control of their lives.

This is the debut novel of Peter V. Brett and it is a magnificent one. He is one of my favorite authors and his Demon Cycle series is worth every penny you will spend! ( )
  arhoads29 | Jun 8, 2014 |
To Otzi,
the original Warded Man
The great horn sounded.

Arlen paused in his work, looking up at the lavender wash of the dawn sky. Morning mist still clung to the air, bringing with its damp an acrid taste that was all too familiar. A quiet dread built in his gut as he waited in the morning stillness, hoping that it had been his imagination. He was eleven years old.
Variant Titles: The Painted Man (UK) = The Warded Man (US).

Sometimes there is very good reason to be afraid of the dark...

Eleven-year-old Arlen lives with his parents on their small farmstead, half a day's ride away from the isolated hamlet of Tibbet's Brook.

As dusk falls upon Arlan's world, a strange mist rises from the ground, a mist carrying nightmares to the surface. A mist that promises a violent death to any foolish enough to brave the coming darkness, for hungry corelings - demons that cannot be harmed by mortal weapons - materialize from the vapours to feed on the living. As the sun sets, people have no choice but to take shelter behind magical wards and pray that their protection holds until the creatures dissolve with the first signs of dawn.

When Arlen's life is shattered by the demon plague, he is forced to see that it is fear, rather than the demons, which truly cripples humanity. Believing that there is more to his world than to live in constant fear, he must risk leaving the safety of his wards to discover a different path.

In the small town of Cutter's Hollow, Leesha's perfect future is destroyed by betrayal and a simple lie. Publicly shamed, she is reduced to gathering herbs and tending an old woman more fearsome than the corelings. Yet in her disgrace, she becomes the guardian of dangerous ancient knowledge.

Orphaned and crippled in a demon attack, young Rojer takes solace in mastering the musical arts of a Jongleur, only to learn that his unique talent gives him unexpected power over the night.

Together, these three young people will offer humanity a last, fleeting chance of survival.

As darkness falls each night, demons known as the corelings rise, and three young survivors of demon attacks risk everything to recover the secrets of the past to defeat the corelings and stop their relentless assault against humans.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible