The Warded Man (Demon Trilogy, #1) by Peter…

The Warded Man (Demon Trilogy, #1) (edition 2009)

by Peter V. Brett

Title:The Warded Man (Demon Trilogy, #1)
Authors:Peter V. Brett
Info:Ballantine Books (2009), Trade Paperback
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:fantasy, 2012, demons, magic

The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (jm501)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another book with phenomenal world-building and complex plot told through the points-of-view of interconnected characters.
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (saltmanz)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Blood Song by Anthony Ryan (ajwseven)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (jancolsum)
    Frost Moon (Skindancer, Book 1) by Anthony Francis (infiniteletters)
    Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Both feature a mysterious, tattooed warrior whose exploits make him a local legend.
    Running With the Demon by Terry Brooks (infiniteletters)
    Foundling by D. M. Cornish (infiniteletters)

English (147)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (153)
This book was recommended via LibraryThing. It was one of the better ones it has suggested so far. There were a couple things I wasn't crazy about. How women were treated was a bit over the top. At the end of the book, a new language was introduced. It seemed forced and not needed as the story was going well without it. This is the first book for this author and it does impress me - very readable and cool plot / ideas. This is one of a five book series and I plan on reading the rest of them. ( )
  mainrun | Sep 26, 2016 |
I loved this book from start to finish. After my kindle suffered from a slight case of water related death, I had to look to my (large) selection of TBR books next to my bed. This is the one that intrigued me the most.

Ahem...."As darkness falls after sunset, the corelings rise--demons who possess supernatural powers and burn with a consuming hatred of humanity. For hundreds of years the demons have terrorized the night, slowly culling the human herd that shelters behind magical wards--symbols of power whose origins are lost in myth and whose protection is terrifyingly fragile. It was not always this way. Once, men and women battled the corelings on equal terms, but those days are gone. Night by night the demons grow stronger, while human members dwindle under their relentless assault. Now, with hope for the future fading, three young survivors of vicious demon attacks will dare the impossible, stepping beyond the crumbling safety of the wards to risk everything in a desperate quest to regain the secrets of the past. Together, they will stand against the night."

I love the idea of demons who rise at night and attack anyone foolish enough to hang around out there. It is such a cool, terrifying idea. And indeed the attacks are creepy and terrifying. The author, Peter Brett, does a great job of describing the attacks and the after effects of them. The world is nicely realised and feels lived in.

I was unaware when I started this book that it was part of an ongoing series, but I really look forward to reading the other books in the series! ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book a great deal. It was paced similarly to The Name of the Wind. The storyline was pretty good and the magic system decent. The ending lost my attention, but I will most likely eventually read the sequel. ( )
  KnivesBoone | Jul 29, 2016 |
Loved this book! Could not stop reading!!

In a world where demons rise at sunset to attack the humans who only have old wards carved and painted to create barriers to protect them, a boy watches his mother die and see a better way than hiding behind such protections.

The story of Arlen Bales as he grows from a young boy into a man is a fascinating one. The people he meets along the way, the demons he faces and destroys, the fighter and man he becomes. Highly recommended! ( )
  LongDogMom | Jul 17, 2016 |
First off - this book was LONG! Like I was getting to the point where I wondered if it would ever freeking end. Now that's not to say it was a bad book, because that is not accurate. There were just...lots of words.

The world created in the book is quite interesting. The society is like the Dark Ages of Europe in politics, society and religion however there is the interesting addition of demons that manifest and attack from sunset to sunrise every day. People are protected from these demon attacks by wards that are drawn upon – well – everything. Those that draw the wards are different depending on the location. For instance in a larger city they have Warders, part of a Guild, that people pay to draw wards. Each Warder, it seems, has their own set of wards they have discovered and/or mastered. Wards are drawn on walls surrounding the cities and on individual dwellings in the city. People are, it seems, required to offer succor (or allow strangers outside into their home) after dark when requested. In mid-sized places there are people who are Warders but don’t seem to be in a Guild, they ward around the towns and houses and what not. In smaller villages and hamlets almost everyone can draw wards, they ward their own property and help neighbors do the same.

These wards are purely defensive. History tells though, of a Defender and his armies, which had offensive wards that have been lost over time. It seems this world has evolved much like ours – from Dark Ages, to an age of Science and Innovation and then fallen again into the Dark Ages. Interesting commentary on the cyclical nature of humanity and civilization. There are many times I wonder when our society and civilization will collapse because it is only a matter of time – history has proven it over and over again.

Anyway, people no longer believe in these offensive wards and while not at all content they are resigned to being slowly killed off by demons.

Now, I’ll say again, this is actually a fascinating society and the world building is detailed. That’s one of the things I love about fantasy books, especially when done right. This author did it right and I was easily immersed in the society, their fears and their hopes and dreams, their despair. And God, overall it happens to be a pretty damn depressing place. People are being killed every night and that kinda sucks.

Fascinating society aside I spent this book reading and reading and reading and while there was a lot going on there was very little happening. Hmmm…maybe that doesn’t make sense. It’s like this. There was a lot of foundation building going on and we are introduced to the three people that seem to be the heroes of this book when they are children. They are all three different ages so there was a lot of history covered in the book. Arlen is the first one we meet, an 11-year old at the time, when there are huge losses in a demon attack in his hamlet. We follow him for quite a bit until we meet Leesha, 13-years old at the time, who is the daughter of a wealthy paper maker and warder in a small town. After following her for a while we meet Rojer, who is the 3-year old son of inn keepers in another small town. So we follow them all as children and as they grow up – the struggles they face, the choices they make and how their attitudes are shaped. When these three fuckin’ finally meet Leesha is 27, Rojer is 17 or 18 and Arlen is somewhere in his late 30’s I think, it’s never really clear to me.

For me the action really started to happen once these three meet up. It’s tense and unhappy and they don’t trust each other. Though Leesha and Rojer have known each other for a few months by the time they meet Arlen they are not best buddies or anything. There is a sort of love triangle which is not really well executed and doesn’t seem to go anywhere in this book either.

At this point I’m kind of torn because I did a lot of skimming prior to the three meeting up but there were interesting parts that helped you to understand how and why the characters developed as they did. I think the author was trying to set up why these three are uniquely set to work with each other and fight demons while rallying people. Arlen is a warrior, Leesha is a healer and Rojer is an entertainer; an unlikely trio yet completely believable. In the end though I’m left feeling that maybe half the words of this book could have been cut and I would have stilled enjoyed and understood it. It also ended abruptly. While not a cliffhanger per se everything was left unresolved with the exception of the commitment of the three to work together.

I’d recommend with slight reservations for fans of well-developed fantasy worlds who don’t mind uncompleted series. It appears there are three books right now and two more planned. At this point I don’t think I’ll go on simply because I’ve already go too many books to read and I keep buying more! I did enjoy this though.
  BooksTYK | Mar 27, 2016 |

Peter V. Brettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Otzi,
the original Warded Man
The great horn sounded.

Arlen paused in his work, looking up at the lavender wash of the dawn sky. Morning mist still clung to the air, bringing with its damp an acrid taste that was all too familiar. A quiet dread built in his gut as he waited in the morning stillness, hoping that it had been his imagination. He was eleven years old.
Variant Titles: The Painted Man (UK) = The Warded Man (US).

Sometimes there is very good reason to be afraid of the dark...

Eleven-year-old Arlen lives with his parents on their small farmstead, half a day's ride away from the isolated hamlet of Tibbet's Brook.

As dusk falls upon Arlan's world, a strange mist rises from the ground, a mist carrying nightmares to the surface. A mist that promises a violent death to any foolish enough to brave the coming darkness, for hungry corelings - demons that cannot be harmed by mortal weapons - materialize from the vapours to feed on the living. As the sun sets, people have no choice but to take shelter behind magical wards and pray that their protection holds until the creatures dissolve with the first signs of dawn.

When Arlen's life is shattered by the demon plague, he is forced to see that it is fear, rather than the demons, which truly cripples humanity. Believing that there is more to his world than to live in constant fear, he must risk leaving the safety of his wards to discover a different path.

In the small town of Cutter's Hollow, Leesha's perfect future is destroyed by betrayal and a simple lie. Publicly shamed, she is reduced to gathering herbs and tending an old woman more fearsome than the corelings. Yet in her disgrace, she becomes the guardian of dangerous ancient knowledge.

Orphaned and crippled in a demon attack, young Rojer takes solace in mastering the musical arts of a Jongleur, only to learn that his unique talent gives him unexpected power over the night.

Together, these three young people will offer humanity a last, fleeting chance of survival.

As darkness falls each night, demons known as the corelings rise, and three young survivors of demon attacks risk everything to recover the secrets of the past to defeat the corelings and stop their relentless assault against humans.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,832,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible