The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

The Warded Man (edition 2010)

by Peter V. Brett

Member:flint_riemen
Title:The Warded Man
Authors:Peter V. Brett
Info:Del Rey (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 480 Seiten
Rating:*****

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

Recently added bypcollins, mark_wagner, private library, morwen04, katelyn124, ra912, kimberly--ann, Nickpickle05
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (jm501)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another book with phenomenal world-building and complex plot told through the points-of-view of interconnected characters.
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (saltmanz)
    Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Both feature a mysterious, tattooed warrior whose exploits make him a local legend.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (jancolsum)
    Frost Moon by Anthony Francis (infiniteletters)
    Running With the Demon by Terry Brooks (infiniteletters)
    Foundling by D. M. Cornish (infiniteletters)

English (118)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (122)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has a great set-up and the concepts of magic are well thought through and interesting but the ending really lets the book down. It is possible that the rest of the series makes up for the ending but I am not inclined to continue on. ( )
  morwen04 | Jul 24, 2014 |
Amazing book. Just amazing. ( )
  Me-chan | Jun 19, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite series and I can't wait for the fourth installment. I usually have a hard time describing it but I'll do my best. At one time mankind was in a battle with demons for control of the night. Eventually we developed battle wards and such and were able to beat-back the demon scourge enough that they ceased coming to our world. People became complacent and forgot the battle wards.
Unfortunately the demons didn't forget and after the numbers had increased they returned to slaughter mankind.
Most people cowered in fear, hiding behind protection wards at night but when one young boy - Arlen- witnesses his mother's mutilation and subsequent death due in part to his father's inaction and fear things change. He sets out on a journey to find people who battle the demons not just hide from them and his life is changed forever.
He becomes a man, the warded man and to many the Deliverer though it is a title he does not relish. In desperation after being betrayed by a friend and let for dead in the desert he wards his body to survive.

But there is a Krasian man who was once his Arlen's friend who fancies himself the Deliverer. He sets out to conquer, for what he thinks is the good of man, the other kingdoms for soldiers in his war against the demons.
Together with Leesha, a young healer and Rojer man who uses a fiddle to sooth the savage demons; Arlen must teach others to take back the night and control of their lives.

This is the debut novel of Peter V. Brett and it is a magnificent one. He is one of my favorite authors and his Demon Cycle series is worth every penny you will spend! ( )
  arhoads29 | Jun 8, 2014 |
I loved the first two thirds of this book, then felt let down by the ending, which is really unfortunate. The concept is fantastic, a world where demons rise up from the ground every night to hunt people. It's unique and wonderful and the way the culture is shown to have evolved as a result is also very well done at the beginning of the book. However, as the book progressed it hit a couple of my pet peeves and when a pivotal scene (for action and character development) takes place off the page I went from loving this book so much I couldn't stop talking about it, to not being sure I was going to finish it.

I did finish it, and I honestly think the beginning is so well-wrought it may make up for the things that bugged me in the end, but it is a pretty close call. I won't be picking up the sequel, which is something I would have never guessed I'd say 100 pages ago. ( )
  RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A really enjoyable read and a unique take on demon stories. Demons, or "corelings," have been a part of everyday life for everyone in the world for centuries, rising each night from the ground and killing anyone and anything not protected by magical wards. The best wards were lost centuries ago, when humanity believed they had won the coreling war, only to have the monsters arise once more when humanity was least prepared to fight back. Now every night, people cower in their meagerly-warded homes and pray the wards hold until dawn sends the corelings back to the "core," where they live. I couldn't put it down, and as soon as I finished it, I went on Amazon and bought the 2 sequels. ( )
  BeckahRah | May 1, 2014 |
To Otzi,
the original Warded Man
The great horn sounded.

Arlen paused in his work, looking up at the lavender wash of the dawn sky. Morning mist still clung to the air, bringing with its damp an acrid taste that was all too familiar. A quiet dread built in his gut as he waited in the morning stillness, hoping that it had been his imagination. He was eleven years old.
Variant Titles: The Painted Man (UK) = The Warded Man (US).

Sometimes there is very good reason to be afraid of the dark...

Eleven-year-old Arlen lives with his parents on their small farmstead, half a day's ride away from the isolated hamlet of Tibbet's Brook.

As dusk falls upon Arlan's world, a strange mist rises from the ground, a mist carrying nightmares to the surface. A mist that promises a violent death to any foolish enough to brave the coming darkness, for hungry corelings - demons that cannot be harmed by mortal weapons - materialize from the vapours to feed on the living. As the sun sets, people have no choice but to take shelter behind magical wards and pray that their protection holds until the creatures dissolve with the first signs of dawn.

When Arlen's life is shattered by the demon plague, he is forced to see that it is fear, rather than the demons, which truly cripples humanity. Believing that there is more to his world than to live in constant fear, he must risk leaving the safety of his wards to discover a different path.

In the small town of Cutter's Hollow, Leesha's perfect future is destroyed by betrayal and a simple lie. Publicly shamed, she is reduced to gathering herbs and tending an old woman more fearsome than the corelings. Yet in her disgrace, she becomes the guardian of dangerous ancient knowledge.

Orphaned and crippled in a demon attack, young Rojer takes solace in mastering the musical arts of a Jongleur, only to learn that his unique talent gives him unexpected power over the night.

Together, these three young people will offer humanity a last, fleeting chance of survival.

As darkness falls each night, demons known as the corelings rise, and three young survivors of demon attacks risk everything to recover the secrets of the past to defeat the corelings and stop their relentless assault against humans.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,647,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible