The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

The Warded Man (edition 2010)

by Peter V. Brett

Member:flint_riemen
Title:The Warded Man
Authors:Peter V. Brett
Info:Del Rey (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 480 Seiten
Rating:*****

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (jm501)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another book with phenomenal world-building and complex plot told through the points-of-view of interconnected characters.
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (saltmanz)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (jancolsum)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Blood Song by Anthony Ryan (ajwseven)
    Frost Moon (Skindancer, Book 1) by Anthony Francis (infiniteletters)
    Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Both feature a mysterious, tattooed warrior whose exploits make him a local legend.
    Running With the Demon by Terry Brooks (infiniteletters)
    Foundling by D. M. Cornish (infiniteletters)

English (129)  French (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (134)
Good first book of a series interesting magic system. The main character wasn't very likable. ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
This book ended up being much better than anticipated, and much darker than it appeared to be at first glance. The story starts with young characters, which usually means the story is going to be geared toward young adults, and thus lighter fare. It is not light fare. There isn't much gore or graphic language, but the setting and events are dark and serious, the characters are flawed, and bad things happen to good people.

The main character(s) are fully fleshed, and you will actually care about what happens to them. It is not a very nice world, and, as you can imagine, not very nice things happen in it. There is, fortunately, a very satisfying sense of "justice is served", even though this takes a long time to come to fruition. You will spend the better part of the book being frustrated with the unfortunate circumstances of the main character(s), and, perhaps, wondering how the different characters will tie together since each main character starts off in his or her own thread. Don't worry, they do come together in the end, and in a mostly believable way.

The setting, including the demons, are believably staged, and the people in the story behave in normal ways.

I bought the next book in the series as soon as I finished this one. ( )
  crazybatcow | May 4, 2015 |
Despite its flaws, any book that keeps you reading to 3am definitely has something.

I was very resistant to reading this book despite the good reviews and the regularity it popped up in my recommendations as one of my major dislikes are stories with children as main characters.
Twenty years removed from my teen angst, I find it difficult to relate to stories about teenage struggles of finding your way in the world, finding identity and dealing with adult oppression. The nervous fumbles of first love are just over worn and tiresome. These may be universal concepts, but as I age I find the perspective vastly different. My hopes, dreams, desires and fears are different 20 years on. But enough about me :->

This book covers the lives of three main characters - Arlen, Leesha and Rojer. At first this book was a major struggle. Peter V. Brett immerses us into the day to day life of Arlen,and I mean immerses. Fully the first quarter of the book is dedicated to Arlen's background. When it appears the real meat of the story is about to begin, we switch to Leesha, and with a groan I prepared myself for another extended play of Leesha's life. Thankfully, Leesha's introduction is shorter (though still around another 10%) and once again, just as the story seems set to take off, Rojer is introduced. Ugh. Rojer's introduction is mercifully brief. I felt as if I had started this book twice the opening half was so hard work. IMHO, I would have preferred two separate books as an introduction to the series, or a severe curtailing of a lot of unnecessary words. After all, you know that these characters will cross paths eventually. Ever heard the quote "Sorry this letter is so long but I didn't have time to write a short one"?. That is the book.

When the book finally gets going, I found it a very compelling read. Brett has created a really interesting concept in the corelings and he does a great job in describing small village life. I really felt like I was reading about the Dark Ages.

For me, this story is of the same ilk as Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I think Name of the Wind is a much meatier read with a stronger style of writing (I thought the first half of Name of the Wind was the best Fantasy I'd read since Tolkien), but I much preferred The Warded Man as a story. Why? Hmm..I'll need to compare the two.

Name of the Wind does a much better job of getting the story going with it's brooding atmosphere and mysterious characters. There's also a real deft touch to the prose that flows nicely, as opposed to the jolting staccato of overwrought ham-fisted adjectives in The Black Company stories. The Warded Man would really have benefited from this. Show, don't tell. I don't need, or expect a characters entire back story before the plot gets moving.

That said, the way The Warded Man tracks the struggles and experiences of the main characters created a much more natural progression of character development for me. In Name of the Wind, Kvothe's "struggles" hardly seem like that at all and are more a vehicle for demonstrating just how wonderful he is at everything so are hardly struggles at all. The characters in The Warded Man are likewise prodigy's of their own particular fields, but in a more down to earth way. For me, this made the characters far more interesting.

I found the 2nd half of The Name of the Wind become a poorly written young adult story that floundered poorly when the Romance was introduced. Unfortunately, this also affects The Warded Man, but far far later in the story - still the sudden development of a romantic element so soon after horrific events misfired very very badly and rang so unlikely. Why do fantasy and sci-fi writers handle romance so poorly? If it kills the story, get rid of it.

Given the amount of time spent detailing the back story of Arlen, the rapid shift to his young adult life was disappointing. He develops into a really cool character, but we miss so much of that development. That was the meat and potatoes of the story for me, and it was completely missing - will this be in further novels in the series? I'm with the author if he wants to shroud that period is mystery, but we could have seen more. Particularly as we'd suffered through so much of the dull unnecessary aspects of his young life. The jump betwen the boy and the man it a leap a little too far. It makes me further wish Arlen's story had been captured in isolation in a single volume.

I don't normally write so much, and though my review may sound negative, I really did enjoy this book. I guess I'm just frustrated at the potential it had to be a real corker. I haven't give much away of the actual story itself on purpose, suffice to say, I found the world events and hints of the lost advanced culture freatly to my liking. This book comes as close as anything in recent years to telling the story I want to read.
  StaticBlaq | Apr 26, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Enjoyed this title - good character presentation - some character development - interesting world with some world-building. I even found the characters to be somewhat likable so far. overall 80%

Judging by the reviews of the sequels, it looks like they are to be avoided unless I can't find anything better. ( )
  jason9292 | Nov 27, 2014 |
To Otzi,
the original Warded Man
The great horn sounded.

Arlen paused in his work, looking up at the lavender wash of the dawn sky. Morning mist still clung to the air, bringing with its damp an acrid taste that was all too familiar. A quiet dread built in his gut as he waited in the morning stillness, hoping that it had been his imagination. He was eleven years old.
Variant Titles: The Painted Man (UK) = The Warded Man (US).

Sometimes there is very good reason to be afraid of the dark...

Eleven-year-old Arlen lives with his parents on their small farmstead, half a day's ride away from the isolated hamlet of Tibbet's Brook.

As dusk falls upon Arlan's world, a strange mist rises from the ground, a mist carrying nightmares to the surface. A mist that promises a violent death to any foolish enough to brave the coming darkness, for hungry corelings - demons that cannot be harmed by mortal weapons - materialize from the vapours to feed on the living. As the sun sets, people have no choice but to take shelter behind magical wards and pray that their protection holds until the creatures dissolve with the first signs of dawn.

When Arlen's life is shattered by the demon plague, he is forced to see that it is fear, rather than the demons, which truly cripples humanity. Believing that there is more to his world than to live in constant fear, he must risk leaving the safety of his wards to discover a different path.

In the small town of Cutter's Hollow, Leesha's perfect future is destroyed by betrayal and a simple lie. Publicly shamed, she is reduced to gathering herbs and tending an old woman more fearsome than the corelings. Yet in her disgrace, she becomes the guardian of dangerous ancient knowledge.

Orphaned and crippled in a demon attack, young Rojer takes solace in mastering the musical arts of a Jongleur, only to learn that his unique talent gives him unexpected power over the night.

Together, these three young people will offer humanity a last, fleeting chance of survival.

As darkness falls each night, demons known as the corelings rise, and three young survivors of demon attacks risk everything to recover the secrets of the past to defeat the corelings and stop their relentless assault against humans.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,220,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible