People by Peter Spier

by Peter Spier

English (25)  French (1)  All languages (26)
I couldn't have predicted that my 9-year-old son would love this as much as he did. This was a read-aloud (more like an examination & exploration than reading) that spanned a week, and those moments were some that I will cherish more than anything else this summer so far. He has never been more engrossed in anything than this simplistic but brilliantly detailed presentation of "people": how we ARE. Spier shows us how people around the world vary in dress, ideas, systems (my son was amazed at different systems of rank), religions, travel and communication methods, food choice, etc. I feel that this book served as a virtual field trip that may have been comparable to a brief world tour. It was that good. The conversations these pictures ignited! ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This is a great book to demonstrate cultural diversity. They need to know that there is a big word out there with not just their culture in it. I think this book could be great to encourage accepting everyone even if they look and their culture differs from yours. ( )
  RaineyNicole | Apr 29, 2015 |
A story about the differences in us all. Great pictures.
  RachelHollingsworth | Apr 16, 2015 |
This book introduces multiculturalism in a very bright and colorful way! It describes what life is like for some of the millions of people on earth including everything from skin color to religions. It describes the different ways people like and do things and reminds us all of what it is like to be unique in our own ways.

Personal Reaction:
I thought this book was very eye-opening and informative. It was a great way to introduce multiculturalism.One of the things that grabbed my attention first was the cover because of how colorful it was and then just reading it was eye-opening. Reading and thinking about how everyone is different in their own way made me want to keep reading as all the pictures were very detailed and unique as well! With its age however, i do not think that many parents would be ok with their children reading it without their approval first as some of the content may be a sensitive subject that the parents may want to address first.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Each student could do a family research project on their own family or another famous person or family.

2. We could have a Multicultural Week where everyday of that week, we could research different cultures. We could play different games or try making food from each culture. ( )
  JacquelynTorres | Mar 23, 2015 |
This book would be a wonderful text to teach diversity. It shows how different the world is and how it makes the world beautiful and unique. This book helps students learn to be less ethnocentric about their own culture y reading literature.This book would be fantastic to use for readers response to literature. ( )
  Spinea1 | Nov 23, 2014 |
We all know that there are lots and lots of people in the world--and many more millions each year.

This book emphasizes beautifully the differences among the four billion people on earth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038524469X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:19 -0400)

Emphasizes the differences among the four billion people on earth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,961,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible