Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Finnikin of the Rock

by Melina Marchetta

Series: Lumatere Chronicles (1)

Though there were several incidences where I found myself going back to see if I skipped a page because things seemed to have happened that I never read or the situation/setting/timeline would change without much of a break, this was a very enjoyable book with some very interesting characters.

There is some language and some innuendo but nothing explicit. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
Ok, so I enjoyed this book. Some of it was admittedly frustrating...why must the two main characters be so headstrong? Ugh... That is somewhat of a common theme in this genre anyway so whatever. Let's move on. Looking forward to the next book in the series...but also finding it very bizarre that it's going to be about Froi instead of Finnikin and Evanjalin. ( )
  Prashna | Jul 29, 2016 |
Her books always confuse me, and this was no exception. I loved it anyway. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Long and rambly, I struggled to finish it. In the end I didn't care much about the characters or the action, and, having read it only a couple of weeks ago, I'm struggling to remember what happened. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |

Marchetta, Melinaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cummings, JeffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You who live safe
In your warm houses,
You who find, returning in the evening,
Hot food and friendly faces:
Consider if this is a man
Who works in the mud
Who does not know peace
Who fights for a scrap of bread
Who dies because of a yes or a no.
Consider if this is a woman,
Without hair and without name
With no more strength to remember,
Her eyes empty and her womb cold
Like a frog in winter.
Meditate that this came about:
I commend these words to you.
Carve them in your hearts
At home, in the street,
Going to bed, rising;
Repeat them to your children,
Or may your house fall apart,
May illness impede you,
May your children turn their faces from you.

-- If This A Man by Primo Levi
For Marisa and Daniela,
because I have always loved being a Marchetta sister...
(PROLOGUE): A long time ago, in the spring before the five days of the unspeakable, Finnikin of the Rock dreamt he was to sacrifice a pound of flesh to save the royal house of Lumatere.

Finnikin of the Rock and his guardian, Sir Topher, have not been home to their beloved Lumatere for ten years. Not since the dark days when the royal family was murdered and the kingdom put under a terrible curse. But then Finnikin is summoned to meet Evanjalin, a young woman with an incredible claim: the heir to the throne of Lumatere, Prince Balthazar, is alive.

Evanjalin is determined to return home and she is the only one who can lead them to the heir. As they journey together, Finnikin is affected by her arrogance . . . and her hope. He begins to believe he will see his childhood friend, Prince Balthazar, again. And that their cursed people will be able to enter Lumatere and be reunited with those trapped inside. He even believes he will find his imprisoned father.

But Evanjalin is not what she seems. And the truth will test not only Finnikin's faith in her . . . but in himself.

At the age of nine, Finnikin is warned by the gods that he must sacrifice a pound of flesh in order to save the royal house of his homeland, Lumatere. He stands on the rock of three wonders with his friend Prince Balthazar and the prince's cousin, Lucian, and together they mix their blood. And Lumatere is safe: but then the unspeakable!… (more)

222 wanted3 pay6 pay

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,233,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible