Finnikin of the Rock (The Lumatere…

Finnikin of the Rock (The Lumatere Chronicles) (edition 2011)

by Melina Marchetta

1,5071127,528 (4.06)1 / 81
Member:KateAveryEllison
Title:Finnikin of the Rock (The Lumatere Chronicles)
Authors:Melina Marchetta
Info:Candlewick (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

This one's darker than the usual YA fantasy - curses and genocide and diaspora kick it off and it is the heros' journey to reunite his dying people ten years later. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I purchased this book from Amazon to read with @fictitious.fox as a #buddyread. All opinions are my own. I am not going to rate this book because to be honest I didn't finish it. While the writing was tolerable I felt the book was too much fantasy. It felt overboard with sorcery and witchery and just over the top. I was reading it in small doses until about 150 pages in when I just said no more. It reads a lot like Game of Thrones meets Skyrim or some such thing. I am a fan of neither so therefore had a hard time being drawn into this one. It is a book my teenage son might enjoy he likes high fantasy and while I can enjoy some this one was not one I enjoyed. Finnikin's world is shattered after the killing of the King and his heirs and 10 years later Finnikin and his mentor are lead to a novice prophet of sorts that claims she has spoken to the heir, Balthazar. Evanjalin claims Balthazar is alive and will lead Finnikin to him so that they together can figure out how to reclaim the throne, well after they undo the curse of course. Review also posted on Instagram @borenbooks, Library Thing, Goodreads/StacieBoren, Amazon, Twitter @jason_stacie and my blog at readsbystacie.com
  SBoren | Apr 7, 2019 |
The book takes time to build up. It certainly didn't suck me in from the beginning. In fact, the first time I read it, I thought it was rather dull/slow paced. But I was so wrong. About halfway through the read is when things started picking up and they just kept going 'till I found myself at the close. The latter half of the books in this trilogy are what makes it so good. I was so moved after the end of each of these books. Each never failed to captivate me by the end and left me emotionally distraught. I think, to enjoy these, you have to be willing to put in the ground work and be patient because Marchetta knows what she's doing. She has a plan, and she's taking us all there in good time. ( )
  crickethot | Mar 6, 2019 |
Nope! I made it 16 pages before I gave up, and I never do that. It was written as well as I wrote when I was 12. Which was horrible. No complexity, no character development, not even a clear backstory in the supposed backstory prologue. The characters suck, the story sucks, it all just sucks. Byyyyeeee Finn! Glad I didn't buy you!
Update: kept trying to read. It's not happening. I don't care about any of the characters. They're boring and pointless. ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
If I could describe this book in one word it would be, "Beautiful". If I could describe it in two I would have to say, "beautiful" and "moving". Not only is this an amazing fantasy novel, but it is a moving work that really captures the ferocity of the human spirit and the strength of hope. READ IT! ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |

Marchetta, Melinaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cummings, JeffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wren, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You who live safe
In your warm houses,
You who find, returning in the evening,
Hot food and friendly faces:
Consider if this is a man
Who works in the mud
Who does not know peace
Who fights for a scrap of bread
Who dies because of a yes or a no.
Consider if this is a woman,
Without hair and without name
With no more strength to remember,
Her eyes empty and her womb cold
Like a frog in winter.
Meditate that this came about:
I commend these words to you.
Carve them in your hearts
At home, in the street,
Going to bed, rising;
Repeat them to your children,
Or may your house fall apart,
May illness impede you,
May your children turn their faces from you.

-- If This A Man by Primo Levi
For Marisa and Daniela,
because I have always loved being a Marchetta sister...
(PROLOGUE): A long time ago, in the spring before the five days of the unspeakable, Finnikin of the Rock dreamt he was to sacrifice a pound of flesh to save the royal house of Lumatere.

Finnikin of the Rock and his guardian, Sir Topher, have not been home to their beloved Lumatere for ten years. Not since the dark days when the royal family was murdered and the kingdom put under a terrible curse. But then Finnikin is summoned to meet Evanjalin, a young woman with an incredible claim: the heir to the throne of Lumatere, Prince Balthazar, is alive.

Evanjalin is determined to return home and she is the only one who can lead them to the heir. As they journey together, Finnikin is affected by her arrogance . . . and her hope. He begins to believe he will see his childhood friend, Prince Balthazar, again. And that their cursed people will be able to enter Lumatere and be reunited with those trapped inside. He even believes he will find his imprisoned father.

But Evanjalin is not what she seems. And the truth will test not only Finnikin's faith in her . . . but in himself.

At the age of nine, Finnikin is warned by the gods that he must sacrifice a pound of flesh in order to save the royal house of his homeland, Lumatere. He stands on the rock of three wonders with his friend Prince Balthazar and the prince's cousin, Lucian, and together they mix their blood. And Lumatere is safe: but then the unspeakable!… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,720,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible