Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

Peter Pan (1911)

by J. M. Barrie

1910s (57)

English (236)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  All languages (243)
I decided to finally read the actual story of Peter Pan as I have only known Disney's version which is a personal favorite from Disney's movies. I really enjoyed the story and found it delightful and filled with adventure. It has its charm.
  mjlizro | Aug 11, 2018 |
Narrated by Jim Dale
  JennyArch | Aug 2, 2018 |
"All children, except one, grow up."

Peter Pan's tale is timeless. It's the story of a boy who never grew up. It's about how some ordinary siblings learned to fly and went off with Pan to Neverland - a place of immeasurable wonder and danger. Filled with Lost Boys, Redskins, Pirates, and Fairies - Neverland is a place children go in their sleep. But one little girl, Wendy, wakes up to find Pan in her room and is taken off with her brothers, John and Michael, on an adventure.

I never really liked Peter Pan's story. I've never really been interested until I fell for the Once Upon a Time adaption of him. Pan is cruel and selfish in the show and while Peter Pan in his original story isn't cruel, he is pretty selfish. He's described as being cocky and that's the one trait that Captain Hook sees in him that he hates. It seems to be the reason why Hook wants to kill Peter Pan other than the whole flinging his hand into the ocean thing. It's also the trait that gets everyone so fascinated by him and wanting to follow him on his adventures. Peter Pan could be a bit too cocky for me. I'm not surprised he was chased by Hook and his gang of pirates. He likes to think other people's ideas are his. He has no manners that way. And he also always forgets things or people like they don't even matter which frustrated me. Nobody mattered but him or they mattered only because they provided him with some use. I feel like Barrie was eluding to how all children are. He even called Wendy and her brothers selfish because they forgot about their parents and just assumed they would happy to see them without any consequence. They created a lot of pain in the hearts of their parents and they didn't seem to care until reminded how selfish they were being.

I was not expecting Wendy to be the way she was. I knew she was taken to Neverland to tell stories and be the Lost Boys mother but, she took to it so well - like she was actually their mother - that it bothered me. It's like she saw herself with no other function but to keep after these kids. She didn't even fight like Tiger Lily, the "Redskins" chief's daughter. Tiger Lily was more of a strong heroine than Wendy and she was hardly in the story. There's nothing wrong with being a mother or having that sense to be motherly but Wendy was disappointing nonetheless for me.

"It liked my arm so much, Smee, that it has followed me ever since, from sea to sea and from land to land, licking its lips for the rest of me."

Hook and his pirates were as devious and as menacing as I had hoped. Hook was especially dangerous and vicious with even his own crew. He cut down a crew mate with his hook when the pirate simply walked into him. His fear of the crocodile was just as I had hoped as well. It was like I was watching the movie version of him, scared out of his wits when he heard the tick tock from the clock in the beast's belly.

The Lost Boys were an interesting bunch... I don't think there was much time spent with them to be able to significantly identify one boy from another - except Tootles who was very humble and sweet. Tootles reminded me of Smee. Both were kinder than the people they hung around or just had this likable quality about them.

Tinkerbell was hardly around either. I really didn't like her depiction because I love the new adaption of her so much. All she said was "Silly ass!" all the time... Such great character development... She was also drawn in this particular 100th edition of Peter Pan and Wendy too big. She just didn't look right to me. Wendy also looked strange in some pictures as well. But all the other illustrations? They were amazing. They just were beautiful and the amount of illustrations was great.

"He had ecstasies innumerable that other children can never know; but he was looking through the window at the one joy from which he must be forever barred."

I loved the ending of the story. It was the perfect conclusion to Peter Pan because it wasn't a conclusion really. It cements upon the idea of having a boy who never grew up as a main character as well as a story full of magic and possibilities. I know I didn't really like most of the aspects of the story but no matter what I needed to read this book. How could I live my life without reading Peter Pan? ( )
1 vote AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
About 50 years ago I saw the Broadway show starring Sandy Duncan as Peter Pan. It was much better than the book! 176 pages 3 stars ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Jul 7, 2018 |
I knew the basic story of Peter Pan; still, I was a little surprised at just how dark the book is. I loved the writing style, and the adventure and excitement, but the ending and Peter in general made me sad.

I tried to read this with my 6-year-old, but had a hard time keeping his interest. He loved the illustrations and interactive elements of this gorgeous edition. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Jul 3, 2018 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Inspired

All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Mr and Mrs Darling and Nana rushed into the nursery too late. The birds were flown.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
Per WorldCat, ISBN 0805072454 is for a book by J.M. Barrie; not a video.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

--jeriahsharin

The classic story of the boy who never grew up, the girl who would be both his mother and partner, and all the wild imaginings of children let loose. Adventure, intrigue, pirates, roughousing, deep dark forests, magic, trouncing the adults on a regular basis, flying, fierce animals, pretty much everything is there. --wendp

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101026, 1400108667

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible