Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Peter Pan (original 1911; edition 2002)

by J.M. Barrie (Author), Michael Johnstone (Adaptor), Chris Molan (Illustrator)

Member:moppety
Title:Peter Pan
Authors:J.M. Barrie (Author)
Other authors:Michael Johnstone (Adaptor), Chris Molan (Illustrator)
Info:DK Publishing (2002), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Classics, Children's, Pirates, Mermaids, Fae, Peter Pan

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1911)

Recently added byJammiGo, zuzene, fairyofdark, private library, hippiecmt, vandbenj, Keelz09
1910s (58)

English (207)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  English (214)
A classic tale about children being whisked away by Peter Pan. Adventure ensures and victory ensures from positive thinking and imagination.
  CNealon | Dec 4, 2016 |
I think I am in a minority because I really don't like Peter Pan. Whenever I think of him, I get angry. The story is good, but my dislike of Peter Pan isn't going away. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Summary:
I think most people know what this book is about. If they have not read the book then they have seen the movie. For those of you who do not know the story of Peter Pan, it is about a boy who lives in a far away place called Neverland. He flies to earth to meet some new friends and to take them back with him. There, he meets Wendy, John and Michael and tells them about Neverland. As Peter explains to Wendy, he ran away to Neverland because he wanted to always be a little boy and to have fun. The three decided to go with him to Neverland so Wendy can be a mother to the Lost Boys, a gang of boys who live with Peter. They go on a crazy adventure and end up running from captain hook. Wendy and her brothers got to meet Tinker Bell who is a fairy in Neverland. At the end of the story they win the battle against Captain Hook and then Peter Pan flies the three kids back to their home where he promises to visit every Spring.

Personal Reaction:
I love this book and the creativity that takes place. I remember as a kid I would always hope Peter Pan would come take me to Neverland with him. This story is a fantasy but it gives a perspective of a boy who never wanted to grow up and just wanted to have fun the rest of his life. I think no matter who you are or how old you are, you always have that kid self in you.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.) This is a great story for kids to get into. I would have a day where we did nothing but have fun and just be "kids.'

2.) This book is a great way for kids to get involved and still have fun. I would have the kids go outside and take turns "following the leader" and see if each student can take so many different directions. ( )
  Jasmine.Afable | Oct 24, 2016 |
A delightful tale for the young and young at heart. Adapted and retold many times in film and other books, the story of Peter Pan is one that will live in our hearts forever. If you've enjoyed any of the adaptations, I highly encourage you to go back to the source and read the original. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Oct 4, 2016 |
This is a beautifully written book that can make you forget the characters in it that you don't really like all that much.

“Can anything harm us, mother, after the night-lights are lit?” “Nothing, precious,” she said; “they are the eyes a mother leaves behind her to guard her children.”
-J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan p 26)
He could only stare, horrified. Every child is affected thus the first time he is treated unfairly. All he thinks he has a right to when he comes to you to be yours is fairness. After you have been unfair to him he will love you again, but will never afterwards be quite the same boy. No one ever gets over the first unfairness.
-J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan p 120) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Sep 21, 2016 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Inspired

All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Mr and Mrs Darling and Nana rushed into the nursery too late. The birds were flown.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 1566197139 is a Barnes & Noble publication of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

--jeriahsharin

The classic story of the boy who never grew up, the girl who would be both his mother and partner, and all the wild imaginings of children let loose. Adventure, intrigue, pirates, roughousing, deep dark forests, magic, trouncing the adults on a regular basis, flying, fierce animals, pretty much everything is there. --wendp

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 014243793X, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101026, 1400108667

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,721,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible