Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Peter Pan (original 1911; edition 2002)

by J.M. Barrie, Michael Johnstone (Adaptor), Chris Molan (Illustrator)

Member:moppety
Title:Peter Pan
Authors:J.M. Barrie (Author)
Other authors:Michael Johnstone (Adaptor), Chris Molan (Illustrator)
Info:DK Publishing (2002), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Classics, Children's, Pirates, Mermaids, Fae, Peter Pan

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1911)

1910s (35)

English (180)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (186)
This book seems to raise a great deal of conversation about the appropriateness for youth and just the overall ease of the story. I really enjoyed this book however. I enjoyed the adventuresome play and imagination that is used. While anyone who watches the Disney version first of this book, will most likely compare the book as perhaps a little slow, but I think it is a pertinent piece of literature. While the book does have some violence, so too does the movie and many other books our children read. I personally would use this book as a read a loud or just a book to read with my child. I feel the imagination that it took come up with the concept of this book and it can inspire conversation about what it is to "grow up."
  barquist | Jun 4, 2015 |
I could not finish this book. It didn't make any sense. It might have worked if Peter Pan's maturity level was just a little higher, but apparently he was like a five-year-old at best. Why the other kids would let a baby boss them around, I could not figure out. Even the Disney version portrayed him as at least more of a pre-teen. In the book, he is extremely capricious and doesn't have a sustained interest in anything or anybody, just a child going from one game to the next on a whim. ( )
  krista.rutherford | May 22, 2015 |
A perspectiva infanto-juvenil do mundo é muito bem trabalhada nestas divertidas aventuras na Terra do Nunca. Embora o final seja triste porque somente os alegres e juvenis podem voar, o livro sustenta uma qualidade mágica graças, especialmente, ao fantástico pequeno andrógino que assedia piratas e voa acompanhado de meninas de camisolas (ai Jesus!) ( )
1 vote jgcorrea | Apr 24, 2015 |
Celebrating 100 years of Peter Pan, this book is captivating not only through the sublime storytelling, but also with the beautiful illustrations to match it. Disney has nothing on these pages. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Reading it because Ruth Gordon made her debut in it in 1915, and I've never read it though I saw the Mary Martin production several times and probably the Disney version. It's a bit twee for me, seems like it's more for nostalgic adults than children, but I like that there are truly scary parts. Some reviewers have commented that it's too violent for kids; yeah, people get killed but it's all cartoon violence.
It's actually pretty weird and Peter is really an unpleasant guy if you think about it for very long, but from the perspective of a four year old I guess he would seem pretty cool. I think I would have liked him - I'd have wanted to BE him - if I'd had this book read to me then though I would have detested Wendy (still do, kind of) and hated all the stuff about Wendy mothering the lost boys.
I've also read J. M. Barrie and the Lost Boys: The Real Story Behind Peter Pan by Andrew Birkin so I know how messed up Barrie was.
  piemouth | Mar 17, 2015 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Inspired

All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Mr and Mrs Darling and Nana rushed into the nursery too late. The birds were flown.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 1566197139 is a Barnes & Noble publication of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 014243793X, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,901,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible