Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Peter Pan (original 1911; edition 2002)

by J.M. Barrie (Author), Michael Johnstone (Adaptor), Chris Molan (Illustrator)

Member:moppety
Title:Peter Pan
Authors:J.M. Barrie (Author)
Other authors:Michael Johnstone (Adaptor), Chris Molan (Illustrator)
Info:DK Publishing (2002), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Classics, Children's, Pirates, Mermaids, Fae, Peter Pan

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1911)

English (169)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (175)
Beautifully written. This book was exactly how I imagined it would be. A boy who refuses to grow up technically kidnaps a bunch of children and takes them to a land where they too can never grow up. Also there are pirates, mermaids and Native Americans, because if you can't find Native Americans in Neverland then where can you find them? ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
I think I am in a minority because I really don't like Peter Pan. Whenever I think of him, I get angry. The story is good, but my dislike of Peter Pan isn't going away. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 3 stars

Had a review, logging out by mistake ate it. Better than The Little White Bird only because the plot didn't meander quite as far at random, but not what I'd thought it would be. Disney definitely sanitized this, but instead of being shocked, all I could see was how weak Wendy constantly was. She could have been a puppet, for all the difference it made, being nothing more than a "mother" Mary figure. Still, it served the purpose it needed to for the story, so... there's that, at least. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
I loved the beginning and end of this book, with the poignant reflections on the pain both of letting children grow up and of losing them before they're grown, but feel uncertain about the middle. I remembered pretty quickly why I stopped reading this aloud to my daughter when she was four or five when the Lost Boys shot Wendy out of the sky.

The whole thing is just so violent, what with killing pirates and being eaten by crocodiles and Tinkerbell's homicidal jealousy of Wendy. My inclination is to shy away from the book because of this, but when I sat and really thought about it, it's really a sort of childish violence. It reads like the kinds of games my otherwise nonviolent children play together around the house as they work out the intense emotions of childhood and try to make sense of their world.

This book reminds me that my own kids have the same kind of melodramatic, violent imaginary play going on as they pretend to hunt and skin animals and protect their couch cushion fort from enemies. I think I feel uncomfortable with the book because I've not figured out just how to reconcile my own children's sometimes not-so-peaceloving playtime themes.

Well, whatever my own hangups are with the book, my kids enjoyed it. I can psychoanalyze myself on my own time. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 14, 2014 |
Not your Disney version of the story. The illustrations in this edition, while nicely done, are illogically placed. I was pleasantly surprised by the seriousness and adult content of the story. In the end, I was left with a sad impression not of the boy who never grew up, but the boy who was never forgotten. ( )
  Bradley_Kramer | May 15, 2014 |

McCaffrey, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oliver, Maria AntòniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ormerod, JanIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unwin, Nora S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 1566197139 is a Barnes & Noble publication of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:29 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

Seven editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 014243793X, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible