Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Peter Pan (original 1911; edition 2002)

by J.M. Barrie (Author), Michael Johnstone (Adaptor), Chris Molan (Illustrator)

Member:moppety
Title:Peter Pan
Authors:J.M. Barrie (Author)
Other authors:Michael Johnstone (Adaptor), Chris Molan (Illustrator)
Info:DK Publishing (2002), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Classics, Children's, Pirates, Mermaids, Fae, Peter Pan

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1911)

20th century (64) adventure (149) British (69) British literature (60) children (265) children's (425) children's books (68) children's classics (76) children's fiction (100) children's literature (244) classic (432) classics (338) England (51) fairies (114) fairy tales (80) fantasy (798) fiction (868) illustrated (79) juvenile (63) literature (101) magic (66) Neverland (66) novel (100) own (57) Peter Pan (209) pirates (173) read (118) to-read (124) YA (49) young adult (73)

English (158)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (163)
I have seen the Disney version of Peter Pan before but never read it. I enjoyed it much more than the video. I listened to a Librivox recording of the book and I think the book lends itself well to being listened to. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 21, 2014 |
Totally charming! Jim Dale's audio narration is superb! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Scot and I read this one out loud...it was really good! Again, this classic is better than the movie! One of my favorite images..."Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter when she was tidying up her children's minds. It is the nightly custom of every good mother after her children are asleep to rummage in their minds and put things straight for next morning, repacking into their proper places the many articles that have wandered during the day. If you could keep awake (but of course you can't) you would see your own mother doing this and you would find it very interesting to watch. It's quite like tidying up drawers. You would see her on her knees, I expect, lingering humorously over some of your contents, wondering where on Earth you picked this thing up, making discoveries sweet and not so sweet, pressing this to her cheek, as if it were a nice kitten, and hurriedly stowing that out of sight. When you wake in the morning, the naughtiness and evil passions with which you went to bed have been folded up small and placed at the bottom of your mind and on the top, beautifully aired, are spread out the prettier thoughts, ready for you to put on.” ( )
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
i thought i would enjoy it more...

Tink was seriously annoying, the boys kind of annoyed me as well - but Peter, dear Peter annoyed me most of all - he was so ignorant! ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |

Kinkaid, EricIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCaffrey, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oliver, Maria AntòniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ormerod, JanIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:29 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 014243793X, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,577,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible