Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Peter Pan (original 1911; edition 2002)

by J.M. Barrie, Michael Johnstone (Adaptor), Chris Molan (Illustrator)

8,819178341 (3.98)317
Member:moppety
Title:Peter Pan
Authors:J.M. Barrie (Author)
Other authors:Michael Johnstone (Adaptor), Chris Molan (Illustrator)
Info:DK Publishing (2002), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Classics, Children's, Pirates, Mermaids, Fae, Peter Pan

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1911)

English (172)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (178)
A fun re-read, which had everything to do with the book being offered for free as an e-read, watching the "Once Upon a Time" Peter Pan subplot on Netflix , and reminiscing about my childhood, and nothing to do with the rather dreadful redo of the play that aired while reading this. I just can't unseen Christopher Walken's Captain Hook being carried off stage left by his band of pirates. I'd forgotten how much fun Barrie's language is, and how charmingly the story tells itself. ( )
  bookczuk | Dec 19, 2014 |
Read for Classic Fiction Novel Assignment.
  gmustain | Dec 7, 2014 |
This is a timeless classic that will have any reader wishing they could be ten again. I found the major themes of the book to be about what it means to grow up, and the fear of losing your childhood wonder. Moreover, I have a very personal connection to this story as it was the one book I and my great grandmother loved to read together. Lastly, because this was originally a play the book really relies on dialogue and think it would be a wonderful to use it for readers theater within upper elementary. ( )
  kberryman44 | Dec 5, 2014 |
Summary: Peter Pan is a great children’s picture book that lets the child explore their imagination. Peter Pan is a young boy that did not grow up. His siblings Wendy, John, and Michael fly away with Peter Pan to Neverland. In Neverland, an imaginary world, they meet Indians, pirates and a ticking crocodile. Peter Pan endures many adventures by coming across different fantasy characters.

Personal review: This book is a great fantasy book for young children. This book reminds me of my childhood because my kindergarten teacher always had us draw pictures to see our view of the book we just read. Now that I think back, we always drew after we read children’s books that were fantasy books.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have the students draw their very own Neverland world.
2. Ask the students what three people they would bring with them to Neverland.
  kwander | Oct 23, 2014 |
I loved this, a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it. Definitely deserves a reread.

Also, I loved the Disney Peter Pan, and Finding Neverland, but what in god's name was that horrendous live action effort they made a few years ago? Cheesy is not the word... ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Inspired

All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 1566197139 is a Barnes & Noble publication of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:29 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 014243793X, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,507,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible