Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Peter Pan (original 1911; edition 2009)

by J.M. Barrie, Tony DiTerlizzi (Introduction)

Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:Peter Pan
Authors:J.M. Barrie
Other authors:Tony DiTerlizzi (Introduction)
Info:
Collections:Your library, To read

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1911)

1910s (25)

English (171)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (177)
I loved this, a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it. Definitely deserves a reread.

Also, I loved the Disney Peter Pan, and Finding Neverland, but what in god's name was that horrendous live action effort they made a few years ago? Cheesy is not the word... ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
1. This is the classic story about Peter Pan coming to England and taking Wendy, Michael and John to Neverland to make Wendy his Mother. They fly and have many adventures and fight the pirates. At the end, Peter Pan defeats Captain Hook and the children fly home to reunite with their parents. The lost boys are adopted by Mrs. Darling. Peter Pan goes back to Neverland, stopping back for spring cleaning time when he remembers.
2.I really enjoy the imagination in the story and the way the author makes you feel as if you are a "fly on the wall" ; just watching everything from nearby. I think it would be an enjoyable story for children but would most likely be used as a read aloud story due to the vocabulary difficulty.
3. I think this story would fall into a family theme pretty nicely. It's an imaginative story with an emphasis on family and mothers. The age group for reading this story would be older; probably 6th-9th grade based on developmental level.
  samjanke | Oct 19, 2014 |
Peter Pan, Wendy Darling, Captain Hook, Smee, Tinker Bell and all other now famous characters make, what I believe to be, their first appearance here. Pan leads Wendy and her brothers off to Neverland and they have many adventures. And the narrator has a lot of opinions about what happens along the way.

All the movie adaptations make the story light and magical and innocent, but this book is actually very creepy in parts. There are some unsettling aspects, such as the idea that mothers flip through our thoughts when we're asleep and take out the bad ones or that Peter might just forget you after taking you on an adventure, leaving you stuck. There's the fact that battles are bloody and real and many other things that make this not the nice neat children's story that I expected it to be.

None of that even addresses the problematic representation of the "Indians," who are said to be of the "Picaninny" tribe. According to wikipedia, the term was once affectionate, which may be how Barrie thought of it when writing — but it has long been thought of as derogatory at this point, so that part doesn't hold up well.

That aside, Peter Pan is a great magical, adventure story. The characters are semi-one dimensional, but that suits the fairy tale tone. There's a reason the story has become a popular classic. ( )
  andreablythe | Oct 5, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I had of course seen the Disney movie, but it was years ago and I couldn't really remember much details about it. But when the group challenge on one of my forums requested books featuring pirates, this was the only book I could think of.

I was pleasantly surprised. I've found that quite some stories for children from the early part of the 20th century have become unreadable today (at least for children), but I didn't find Peter Pan boring. What I really liked was that it really reads as if the author was telling you the story (instead of you reading the book). I think children today might still like it.

Now that I've read this book I noticed all kind of things I hadn't when watching the movie (or at least had forgotten). Like, how terrible the children are for going away and (completely) forgetting about their parents, and what a bitch Tinker Bell is! I personally really liked the subplot with Captain Hook and the ticking crocodile. I read the free (and legal) to download version from Project Gutenborg, which is without the pictures, so I can't comment on them.

One point I couldn't help but noticing though is that at times it feel sexist. I know the book is one hundred years old and not to blame, as it was common to think that way around that time. But the idea that boys couldn't clean/behave themself unless there's a girl to tell them to do so. That all females are jealous of each other, and that - of course - Wendy doesn't help in the fight, for she is just a girl. In that respect, Peter Pan has aged less well. (But then again, he wanted to stay young forever :P) ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Beautifully written. This book was exactly how I imagined it would be. A boy who refuses to grow up technically kidnaps a bunch of children and takes them to a land where they too can never grow up. Also there are pirates, mermaids and Native Americans, because if you can't find Native Americans in Neverland then where can you find them? ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |

McCaffrey, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oliver, Maria AntòniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ormerod, JanIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unwin, Nora S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 1566197139 is a Barnes & Noble publication of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:29 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

Seven editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 014243793X, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,358,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible