Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Peter Pan (original 1911; edition 2009)

by J.M. Barrie, Tony DiTerlizzi (Introduction)

Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:Peter Pan
Authors:J.M. Barrie
Other authors:Tony DiTerlizzi (Introduction)
Info:Puffin (2009), Edition: Elibron Classics, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1911)

1910s (24)

English (176)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (182)
Celebrating 100 years of Peter Pan, this book is captivating not only through the sublime storytelling, but also with the beautiful illustrations to match it. Disney has nothing on these pages. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Reading it because Ruth Gordon made her debut in it in 1915, and I've never read it though I saw the Mary Martin production several times and probably the Disney version. It's a bit twee for me, seems like it's more for nostalgic adults than children, but I like that there are truly scary parts. Some reviewers have commented that it's too violent for kids; yeah, people get killed but it's all cartoon violence.
It's actually pretty weird and Peter is really an unpleasant guy if you think about it for very long, but from the perspective of a four year old I guess he would seem pretty cool. I think I would have liked him - I'd have wanted to BE him - if I'd had this book read to me then though I would have detested Wendy (still do, kind of) and hated all the stuff about Wendy mothering the lost boys.
I've also read J. M. Barrie and the Lost Boys: The Real Story Behind Peter Pan by Andrew Birkin so I know how messed up Barrie was.
  piemouth | Mar 17, 2015 |
Peter Pan is every child's dream world written onto paper. Barrie perfectly captures the "innocent and heartless" mind of a child in the book. I think for young readers they embrace the belief in Neverland and for young adults they will to believe it all to be true. The descriptive nature of Peter Pan causes students to visual Neverland and the world that it is in the books and in their minds. To weave together subjects in a class room I think Peter Pan is a great book to do so. In a reading class the students will be challenged to read this book but also hopefully enjoy it. Using the "second to the right and straight on till morning" directions students could apply this to geography and practicing directions with landmarks. For a science lessons students can be directed to look to the sky and find the constellations Peter Pan and the children's flight went through. Since Peter Pan is such a fun tale for students I think they would enjoy lessons shaped around the book. ( )
  crieder95 | Jan 30, 2015 |
(6.1)
  mshampson | Jan 16, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I had of course seen the Disney movie, but it was years ago and I couldn't really remember much details about it. But when the group challenge on one of my forums requested books featuring pirates, this was the only book I could think of.

I was pleasantly surprised. I've found that quite some stories for children from the early part of the 20th century have become unreadable today (at least for children), but I didn't find Peter Pan boring. What I really liked was that it really reads as if the author was telling you the story (instead of you reading the book). I think children today might still like it.

Now that I've read this book I noticed all kind of things I hadn't when watching the movie (or at least had forgotten). Like, how terrible the children are for going away and (completely) forgetting about their parents, and what a bitch Tinker Bell is! I personally really liked the subplot with Captain Hook and the ticking crocodile. I read the free (and legal) to download version from Project Gutenborg, which is without the pictures, so I can't comment on them.

One point I couldn't help but noticing though is that at times it feel sexist. I know the book is one hundred years old and not to blame, as it was common to think that way around that time. But the idea that boys couldn't clean/behave themself unless there's a girl to tell them to do so. That all females are jealous of each other, and that - of course - Wendy doesn't help in the fight, for she is just a girl. In that respect, Peter Pan has aged less well. (But then again, he wanted to stay young forever :P) ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Inspired

All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Mr and Mrs Darling and Nana rushed into the nursery too late. The birds were flown.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 1566197139 is a Barnes & Noble publication of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:29 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 014243793X, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,573,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible