Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

Peter Pan (original 1911; edition 1991)

by J. M. Barrie, Scott Gustafson (Illustrator)

Member:Kaychaybug
Title:Peter Pan
Authors:J. M. Barrie
Other authors:Scott Gustafson (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (1991), Hardcover, 192 pages
Collections:Teen Spot YA Book Club
Rating:*****

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1911)

1910s (59)

English (240)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  All languages (247)
This was so fun to read, my introduction to Peter Pan was in 1955 when Mary Martin did the TV presentation. This follows what I remember of the TV performance as I remember it. It brought back so many nice memories. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Feb 25, 2019 |
I've always loved the story of Peter Pan and finally got around to reading the book. I think that it brought out the character of Peter more than I was used to and I really enjoyed that. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
This is honestly so wonderful. I read this mostly because I am writing a dark fantasy Peter Pan retelling (you can vote on a title here), but it really exceeded my expectations. I knew it would be enjoyable--it is a classic that has stood the test of time--but it was really a fantastic story told so wonderfully. It feels like it is being told to you, and it feels like there's even more to tell, which is probably why it has become so iconic. Peter's character is so interesting because he's almost an antihero sometimes, and quite similar to Hook in so many ways. If you've only seen the Disney movie, you really should read the book because it is significantly better in every conceivable way (except for the singing--there isn't a lot of singing lol). ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
A true classic and wonderment of the human imagination. ( )
  C_Hawke | Dec 30, 2018 |
Maybe I would have enjoyed this book more if I'd read it as a child, but as an adult I found it just annoyed me, tremendously, especially the character of Peter. I think this is one case in which the Disney adaption was better than the source. Seriously. ( )
  fuzzi | Oct 15, 2018 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Inspired

All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Mr and Mrs Darling and Nana rushed into the nursery too late. The birds were flown.
At the sight of his own blood, whose peculiar colour, you remember, was offensive to him, the sword fell from Hook's hand, and he was at Peter's mercy.

"Now!" cried all the boys, but with a magnificent gesture Peter invited his opponent to pick up his sword. Hook did so instantly, but with a tragic feeling that Peter was showing good form.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
Per WorldCat, ISBN 0805072454 is for a book by J.M. Barrie; not a video.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

--jeriahsharin

The classic story of the boy who never grew up, the girl who would be both his mother and partner, and all the wild imaginings of children let loose. Adventure, intrigue, pirates, roughousing, deep dark forests, magic, trouncing the adults on a regular basis, flying, fierce animals, pretty much everything is there. --wendp

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101026, 1400108667

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,414,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible