Peter Pan (100th Anniversary Edition) by J.…

Peter Pan (100th Anniversary Edition) (original 1911; edition 2003)

by J. M. Barrie

9,268192323 (3.99)358
Title:Peter Pan (100th Anniversary Edition)
Authors:J. M. Barrie
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2003), Edition: 100 Anv, Hardcover, 176 pages

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1911)

1910s (33)

English (185)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (191)
Let's talk about Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie. I couldn't believe that up until this year I had never read this book. I knew the story, of course, but I had never actually read it. I remedied that and I am so glad that I did. Also, I'm glad that the version that I picked up included a biography of Barrie and the Llewelyn Davies family. I always think it's interesting to read about the history behind the writing of a book and how that shaped the characters, storyline, etc. For those unaware, Peter Pan is the story of a little boy who doesn't want to grow into a man. He's acquired a sort of mythology over the years and serves as an emblem for all that is carefree imagination. However, there is a darker side to the story. He's unable to truly feel and his memory is so poor that he is likely to forget you from one moment to the next. It's chilling if you examine it too closely. The illustrations in the edition which I have are stunning and really lent to the overall feel of the story. (I recommend that when purchasing any book with illustrations that you examine them closely because crappy illustrations can seriously dampen the effect of a good book.) When talking film adaptations, I was torn between the animated Disney version and the live action film with Jason Isaacs and Jeremy Sumter. I like them both for a variety of reasons. The Disney version is pure nostalgia for me. I find myself humming 'following the leader' more often that I care to admit. The live action is visually striking and shows the vulnerable side of Peter which I think is important. I think it says something about the versatility and logevity of a book if it's continually being adapted to film and the stage. I highly recommend you read this children's classic if you get an opportunity. ( )
  AliceaP | Nov 13, 2015 |
I have loved the movies of Peter Pan for years, but had never read it. I knew I would enjoy Barrie's novel; I just wasn't sure if I'd like it more than the adaptations. And, as usual, I felt the original was the best out of all. It is told by a narrator who sometimes interjects his thoughts or references the reader, yet does not interact with the characters in the novel (think of Scrooge and the ghosts of time who peak into, but cannot disturb, the scenes playing out). Peter Pan is not all full of childhood wonderment and fairy tales, there is a darkness to it as well. Peter kills the Lost Boys when they grow to old or when they disobey him and all characters in Neverland hunt and slain each other, sometimes for sport. Peter himself can be extremely self-indulgent and brash, yet all children look to him as leader and follow him regardless. I believe this portrayal added to the wonderful dimensions of Peter Pan and life on Neverland. I think the longing to never grow up, to experience adventure and to live within a wild dream, is something all children (and many adults) experience, and Peter Pan allows a glimpse into what that may look like. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I think I am in a minority because I really don't like Peter Pan. Whenever I think of him, I get angry. The story is good, but my dislike of Peter Pan isn't going away. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
The story is about a young girl named Wendy who, along with her younger brothers, enters a magical, imaginary world called Neverland, a place where children don't grow up. Wendy is to be the “mother” of the lost boys. They have many adventures in Neverland which includes pirates, fairies, and Indians.

Personal Reaction:
This was another one of my favorite books as a child. I introduced this book to my two year old niece last year and Tinkerbell has become her favorite character. She was even Tinkerbell for Halloween last year. I believe this book is a great for young children that sparks the imagination and introduces them to a different world of possibilities.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. As an extension of the story, I could have the children write their own scene that takes place in Neverland.
2. In the classroom, I could have each child write a journal entry about an imaginary world of his or her own and include a drawing.
  Stacie_Larsen | Oct 29, 2015 |
This was one of the first books I read in preparation for my first year as an English undergraduate. It was part of a module called Landmark Texts, focusing on books that had influenced other similar works, as well as numerous film adaptations.

We were informed by our tutors that "Peter Pan" wasn't strictly a children's story. Certainly there are adult themes, which sits somewhat creepily with me, considering the amount of child characters that are involved.

Anyway, maybe this would've appealed to me had I read it in childhood, though it's hard to say. I can say that as an adult I was glad to see the back of it. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Oct 16, 2015 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Mr and Mrs Darling and Nana rushed into the nursery too late. The birds were flown.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 1566197139 is a Barnes & Noble publication of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 014243793X, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101026, 1400108667

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible