Peter Pan (100th Anniversary Edition) by J.…

Peter Pan (100th Anniversary Edition) (original 1911; edition 2003)

by J. M. Barrie

Member:KatKennedy
Title:Peter Pan (100th Anniversary Edition)
Authors:J. M. Barrie
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2003), Edition: 100 Anv, Hardcover, 176 pages
Rating:***

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1911)

English (205)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (211)
This is a beautifully written book that can make you forget the characters in it that you don't really like all that much.

“Can anything harm us, mother, after the night-lights are lit?” “Nothing, precious,” she said; “they are the eyes a mother leaves behind her to guard her children.”
-J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan p 26)
He could only stare, horrified. Every child is affected thus the first time he is treated unfairly. All he thinks he has a right to when he comes to you to be yours is fairness. After you have been unfair to him he will love you again, but will never afterwards be quite the same boy. No one ever gets over the first unfairness.
-J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan p 120) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Sep 21, 2016 |
I read this as a child, and then again as a teenager and still really liked it.

I think the original story is a lot different to what we remember as children, but Barrie writes well. I love that he donated all the proceeds to a children's hospital and I believe that's still being done to this day. I think it's important to remember that this book was of a certain time, though, and his depiction of First Nations people or natives is... uh, a little colonial. :|

So it might be important, if you want to read this book to your child, to actually talk about that and bring it up. (Or it's something I would consider.)

But Barrie is very good at creating worlds and an atmosphere and Peter Pan, as a novel, feels a little like C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. You can read it as a child, but enjoy it as an adult just as much, if slightly differently. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I think I am in a minority because I really don't like Peter Pan. Whenever I think of him, I get angry. The story is good, but my dislike of Peter Pan isn't going away. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
I loved this, a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it. Definitely deserves a reread.

Also, I loved the Disney Peter Pan, and Finding Neverland, but what in god's name was that horrendous live action effort they made a few years ago? Cheesy is not the word... ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
This is a necessary read if you care about fantasy, children's, British or coming of age literature. What happens when our " gay, innocent and heartless" children leave the nest? What happens if they don't? What does it take to survive childhood? This is vastly different than the Disney movie. Peter is villainous himself and somewhat demented. And so is Tinkerbell more than just stubborn. This is worth a read. On a side note, I think Johnny Depp may have used it as inspiration for Captain Jack Sparrow, as Barrie writes that "pirates have a touch of the feminism in them". ( )
  linenandprint | Aug 2, 2016 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Inspired

All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Mr and Mrs Darling and Nana rushed into the nursery too late. The birds were flown.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 1566197139 is a Barnes & Noble publication of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

--jeriahsharin

The classic story of the boy who never grew up, the girl who would be both his mother and partner, and all the wild imaginings of children let loose. Adventure, intrigue, pirates, roughousing, deep dark forests, magic, trouncing the adults on a regular basis, flying, fierce animals, pretty much everything is there. --wendp

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670841803, Hardcover)

"All children, except one, grow up." Thus begins a great classic of children's literature that we all remember as magical. What we tend to forget, because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd. The Darling children, Wendy, John, and Michael, live a very proper middle-class life in Edwardian London, but they also happen to have a Newfoundland for a nurse. The text is full of such throwaway gems as "Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds," and is peppered with deliberately obscure vocabulary including "embonpoint," "quietus," and "pluperfect." Lest we forget, it was written in 1904, a relatively innocent age in which a plot about abducted children must have seemed more safely fanciful. Also, perhaps, it was an age that expected more of its children's books, for Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense. In a typical exchange with the dastardly Captain Hook, Peter Pan describes himself as "youth... joy... a little bird that has broken out of the egg," and the author interjects: "This, of course, was nonsense; but it was proof to the unhappy Hook that Peter did not know in the least who or what he was, which is the very pinnacle of good form." A book for adult readers-aloud to revel in--and it just might teach young listeners to fly. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

The adventures of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 014243793X, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101026, 1400108667

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,107,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible