The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire…

The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 4) (original 1996; edition 2002)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:pakka
Title:The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 4)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

The Lunatic Cafe by Laurell K. Hamilton (1996)

English (56)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Czech (1)  English (60)
Shape-shifters are disappearing, Anita's getting serious with her werewolf boyfriend, and a jealous vampire is threatening Anita's life. The love triangle aspect got pretty tiresome, but the rest of the action was fun. I like Anita. I like how she's sort of a female version of a film noir detective, unafraid and cynical and witty. I hope the series doesn't shift to focus mainly on Anita's love life, because it's the suspense and fun that keeps me coming back, not the romance. ( )
  melydia | Aug 31, 2016 |
Fantastic. An exciting read that had me intrigued till the end. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
Oh, how life can get tricky. Anita may have thought Jean-Claude was old news, but the master vampire still believes he's ahead of the game, his hostility and jealousy growing in this twisted love triangle. Anita's relationship with Richard furthers, despite the fact he wants to rush into a heavy situation where she's just not ready enough to trust anyone completely.

It brings out an interesting aspect in Anita, as she has to come to terms with the monster side of Richard, not yet ready to face it - perhaps never ready - but not wanting to admit it to him or herself. On the other hand, he can't stomach her bloodthirsty ways and sees her as more of a monster than he is. The mixing of blood and water. Oh, yeah, and a female vamp Gretchen, who has the hots for Jean-Claude, would be happy to see Anita lying on the ground with her throat a bloody mess.

Anita isn't enthused to be recruited by Marcus, leader of the St. Louis werewolf clan, to track down eight missing lycanthropes. She has to consistently push through the testing of the furry clan and the power struggle streaming in the air between Marcus and her beloved. Still, she can't ignore the problem, especially when it may eventually damper Richard's personal safety.

To make matters bizarrely worse - life always sucks for this girl - she finds her friend, the cold-blooded assassin Edward, in her apartment. He's been hired to track down and kill the creator of a snuff video. It's awkward enough watching a sex tape with the strange man, but it's even worse when lycanthropes are behind the filming, and no one in Anita's new-found furry family is safe from the determined Edward. The scenes between these two are great, he's one of my favorites. Why can't we have more of this man in the later books??

As a member of the police's Regional Preternatural Investigation Team, she must battle the hinted suspicions dropped by head honcho Dolph, on what really happened to Harold in the cemetery. "There was blood all over that chair, Anita..."

Characters are as strong as ever, my heart keeps bursting and my loins grinning. Hot damn, Hamilton is amazing at building up suspenseful sex scenes! Story tension is top-notch, and she never shies away from blood, gore, and extreme violence. Although the twisted love triangle is present - and great too! - this is certainly still a horror series up to this point. Look into my magic wand and repeat after me: "Read the series, read the series..." ( )

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
MacLeod, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Trinity Dianne Hamilton, who has the most beautiful smile in the world, even at three o'clock in the morning.
It was two weeks before Christmas.

"YOU DON'T VOLUNTEER FOR SLUGFESTS WITH VAMPIRES. IT SHORTENS YOUR LIFE EXPECTANCY"

And you don't fall in love with a werewolf. It interferes with your work. Especially when you're a preternatural expert, like me. My business brings me up close and personal with all shapes and sizes of monsters. And not all of them want to kill me.

Take, for instance, the local pack of lycanthropes--that's werewolves to you. A number of them are missing, and they've come to me for help. Maybe because I'm dating the leader of the pack. I've survived a lot--from jealous vampires to killer zombies--but this love thing may kill me yet...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051513452X, Mass Market Paperback)

The zombie-raising business gets slow in December, so Anita Blake is starting to see some oddball cases. She's got a neatly typed list of eight missing lycanthropes given to her by Marcus, the leader of the local werewolf pack, who wants her to find them. The trouble is, Anita's occasionally furry boyfriend Richard is locked in a power struggle with Marcus. Jean-Claude, master vampire of the city and Anita's other love interest, is getting jealous as well. To top it off, Anita has to solve some horrific murders and keep her bounty-hunting friend Edward from killing Richard and Jean-Claude. Hamilton alternates between funny and fearsome in this larky series about a monster hunter with a few dark secrets.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

The local pack of werewolves comes to supernatural expert Anita Baker for help --probably because she is dating the leader of the pack--after a number of their pack comes up missing. Anita has survived a lot, from jealous vampires to killer zombies, but this love thing may kill her yet.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,638,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible