The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire…

The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 4) (original 1996; edition 2002)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:pakka
Title:The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 4)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

The Lunatic Café by Laurell K. Hamilton (1996)

Recently added byArlieS, MissyTaylor, private library, sraedi, etbm2003, Zombz, ushatten, shantedze, dianek93, Annarose.Foley

English (43)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (46)
Anita Blake's life is far from dull when she starts dating a werewolf and continues her assisting the police. In "The Lunatic Cafe" Blake is trying to find out who is killing lycanthropes. As with the previous books in the series, nothing (or should I say no one) is quite what they seem. ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
I've read/listened to this series many times and I still enjoy it. Every time I come back to the early books, I'm reminded that Richard was always a pain in the ass.

This book has witches, lycanthropes, vampires and stupid humans in it. It also has Edward who will always add fun to a party. The books with Edward in them are always way more interesting and only get better throughout the series as we learn more about him.

The series character list grows a lot in this book. We meet Raina, Gabriel, Marcus and most importantly, Jason. We get to see more into the werewolf and other shifter communities. We also see Richard's beast show its head as well. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
Anita Blake has a new case brought to her through several angles – shapeshifters are going missing, disappearing without a trace. And when you’re a person who can change into a vicious predator with a grip that can rip a person in half, it’s difficult it disappear without a trace.

The police also have a man, a human, who has been savaged by a massive, wild animal with human intelligence. Unfortunately the shapeshifters and police aren’t sharing information, leaving Anita to work both sides as best she can

But there’s also Anita’s love life. Her relationship with Richard has depend but she has her own doubts about settling down – and, the more she learns about lycanthropes, even more doubts about being with Richard at all. And that’s without the complication of Jean-Claude, master vampire of the city who is determined to win Anita’s affections one way or the other; Gretchen, a vicious vampire who is besotted with Jean-Claude and determined to remove the competition and, of course, Marcus – Richard’s packleader who would love to see his second in command dead

I love how the story works in this book. We think it’s answered – but no, there’s more! And there’s more! Ok maybe 3 is a bit of a stretch for coincidence, but I like that there isn’t just one pat answer. That just because you’re working on one dramatic mystery doesn’t mean that the whole world will now centre on that mystery to the exclusion of everything else and not everything has a single, simple, clean answer.

And, again, it’s paced well – with enough twists and revelations to keep things interesting without it being convoluted. We have side-plots but they all come elegantly together. We also, unfortunately, have the Gretchen storyline that adds nothing – I think it’s a clumsy insert to drag Jean-Claude into the story somehow rather than serving any story purpose. Still, despite that the story flows, is never boring, is coherent and keeps you reading without pause.

I love the world still and there’s some wonderful development into the nature of shapeshifters and shape shifting – the many methods and what each means. We continue to have suggestions of supernatural creatures from around the world, from every culture and every mythology, albeit we still have a western focus on the dominant characters. In all it’s broad and it’s exciting.

I’m increasingly clinging to Ronnie as a character in these books because Anita is surrounded by a lot of men. Lots and lots of men. Lots and lots and lots of men. Other than Ronnie and bit parts, the only other women we saw in this book were Raina (evil and tangentially attached to Anita’s man) and Gretchen (unstable and jealous of Anita’s man). Admittedly part of this stems from already having read the series and knowing what’s coming so I can see the early pattern emerging - but here is the foreshadowing of the future women of Anita Blake’s world.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
As with Circus of the Damned, I enjoyed the book. Also, as with the 3rd Anita Blake novel, I felt that it was not as well written as it could be.

The stories are very intriguing and, despite their flaws, help keep the reader interested in reading. They have a very intense nature that keeps you entertained and wanting more. Reading them almost becomes an addiction.

That being said, I really disliked in some places where entire lines (even paragraphs) were lifted from previous novels and placed in The Lunatic Cafe. I understand that this story is supposed to be narrated by the same character as the other books, but it seems like other phrasing could have been used. The repetition was a bit unnerving. The over-describing that was done in previous books seemed to be kept in a minimum in this book, but there were some parts where it seemed that too many lines were being used to describe meaningless aspects of the book.

Despite the description issue and the repetition, I still plan on continuing on with the series. Hopefully, it will either get better or I will grow accustomed to the writing style. ( )
  janersm | Sep 19, 2013 |
Anita getting threatened and/or attacked, as she wise-cracks her way from one situation to another, kills the occasional supernatural creature or human, and solves the case (maybe "current crisis" is a better phrase). ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacLeod, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Trinity Dianne Hamilton, who has the most beautiful smile in the world, even at three o'clock in the morning.
It was two weeks before Christmas.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051513452X, Mass Market Paperback)

The zombie-raising business gets slow in December, so Anita Blake is starting to see some oddball cases. She's got a neatly typed list of eight missing lycanthropes given to her by Marcus, the leader of the local werewolf pack, who wants her to find them. The trouble is, Anita's occasionally furry boyfriend Richard is locked in a power struggle with Marcus. Jean-Claude, master vampire of the city and Anita's other love interest, is getting jealous as well. To top it off, Anita has to solve some horrific murders and keep her bounty-hunting friend Edward from killing Richard and Jean-Claude. Hamilton alternates between funny and fearsome in this larky series about a monster hunter with a few dark secrets.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:22 -0400)

The local pack of werewolves comes to supernatural expert Anita Baker for help --probably because she is dating the leader of the pack--after a number of their pack comes up missing. Anita has survived a lot, from jealous vampires to killer zombies, but this love thing may kill her yet.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible