Destiny: Gods of Night by David Mack
Half a decade after the Dominion War and more than a year after the rise and fall of Praetor Shinzon, the galaxy's greatest scourge returns to wreak havoc upon the Federation--and this time its goal is nothing less than total annihilation. Elsewhere, deep in the Gamma Quadrant, an ancient mystery is solved. One of Earth's first generation of starships, lost for centuries, has been found dead and empty on a desolate planet. But its discovery so far from home has raised disturbing questions, and the answers harken back to a struggle for survival that once tested a captain and her crew to the limits of their humanity. From that terrifying flashpoint begins an apocalyptic odyssey that will reach across time and space to reveal the past, define the future, and show three captains--Jean-Luc Picard of the U.S.S. Enterprise, William Riker of the U.S.S. Titan, and Ezri Dax of the U.S.S Aventine--that some destinies are inescapable--Publisher.… (more)

Complicated, interesting and mysterious!

Mack weaves a complicated story,weaving back and forth in time to introduce the Caeliar, what K think are going to be the anti-borg. ( )
  mrklingon | Apr 22, 2019 |
Star Trek Destiny #1: Gods of Night by David Mack is the first part in a trilogy which was a journey from beginning to end. Firstly, let me start by saying that when I initially ordered these I did so not realizing that they were written quite a few years ago which did cause me some confusion early on. (I bought them at a discount rate as an ebook set so I really should have put 2+2 together.) Secondly, let me give you the heads up that I didn't have (because I really went in blind, ya'll) that you need prior knowledge about The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, AND Nemesis (which is the one I had not seen (and still haven't seen)) if you want to have any hope of following along. If you haven't seen these you are going to be 1. lost and 2. very much spoiled for future events.

Now that that's all out of the way let's delve into the meat and potatoes of the plot of this book. Like most books that begin a series Gods of Night really lays down a lot of foundation for future action. And there is a lot of information to get through because there is a mess load of time travel back and forth with many, many different characters. (Hint: I didn't love this.) The reader follows 4 different Starfleet crews through multiple time periods which are denoted at the start of each new chapter. You have to be paying a lot of attention and since I read these as ebooks I found it a bit more challenging. Basically, the Caeliar are chanced upon by the Columbia and her crew and found to be so much more technically advanced that there is no chance of overpowering, negotiating, or escaping. The Borg are back and instead of assimilating they have changed their mission to one of annihilation. The Federation is trying to muster up the forces to stop the Borg without any success and the crew of the Columbia are just trying to get back home. SO many characters and so little time (ha time travel pun). I didn't love this book but I did continue the series because by the time I'd gotten to the end of this segment I was too invested to stop...and I'm glad I kept going because by the third book the action was intense, guys. (Wait til you get to the end!) For Gods of Night a 6/10 but check for the reviews of Mere Mortals and Lost Souls in the coming weeks to see what I thought of those and my overall series rating. ;-)

Quick rundown of details:

The Columbia captained by Erika Hernandez, the Aventine captained by Ezri Dax, the Titan captained by Will Riker, and of course the Enterprise captained by Jean-Luc Picard. The aliens encountered: the Borg and the Caeliar. The times explored: too many to recount. ( )
  AliceaP | Dec 10, 2018 |
Wonderful read, and it was great catching up with all the characters from the various TV series and books.

Can't wait to read the second novel
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
I try to shy away from Star Trek books, since most are just so poorly written, but I tried my luck and was richly rewarded!

This entire trilogy is just awesome! It's Trek at it's best. Besides the typical trek writing, my other fear was "Oh great, another book about the borg, the Enterprise narrowly escaping and saving the day" but was pleasantly surprised that that wasn't the case (well of course to some degree it was LOL), and along the way, huge things happened that were just awesome.

If you're a sci fi fan, but leery of Trek books, give this series a shot, it's a good read! ( )
  jwilker | May 23, 2018 |
It's been a long time since I've read a Star Trek novel. With the severe lack of real Star Trek in video format (no, the reboots don't count), I needed a fix. I tend to avoid the novels because they are not cannon and at times contradict the shows and movies, but after spending half my life with these charcters they've become like family that I haven't seen lately. I needed to find out what's been going on with the Enterprise crew since "Nemesis" and the DS9 personel after "What You Leave Behind". I tried STO and it was interesting and fun, it didn't feature the characters I wanted to read about, so I, reluctantly, turned to the books. It took a little research to find a good starting point, and while God's of Night isn't the beginning by any stretch, it does tie in several crews from various novel series, so it seemed a good place to get a feel for what has been happening in the various series.

When I began reading, I was slightly let down by some of the characters dialogue, mainly Sisko and Picard, but I understand that dialogue for an established character is hard to write and the rest of the characters were pretty good so I kept going. What I found was an interesting story using main and secondary charcters from the last four series. It kept me engaged (hehe) right up to the last page, where it ends in typical Star Trek style. It gave me my fix and now I'm ready for some more. ( )
  Jamie.Kessinger | Dec 14, 2017 |

Is contained in

Der krieg findet immer einen Ausweg. (War always finds away) - Bertold Brecht, Mother Courage and Her Children, Sc 6.
For Mom and Dad, who gave me more than I can ever repay.
It was a lifeless husk -- its back broken, its skin rent, its mammoth form half buried in the shifting sands of a mountainous dune -- and it was even more beautiful than Jadzia Dax remembered.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,813,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible