Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, Book 1)…

Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Jaye Wells

Member:LRitte
Title:Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, Book 1)
Authors:Jaye Wells
Info:Orbit (2009), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:vampire, fae, demons, mage, magic

Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells

English (51)  Spanish (1)  All languages (52)
Interesting start to a new series. I have the second one already and have started reading it. I'll see how that goes to decide if its one I want to worry about following. Don't get me wrong, its not bad, just not great.

I re-read this and again its not that bad, but not sure I'll re-read the second and go one. I think the series is done though. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Love it.. Great strong characters and action filled. One funny demon !!! This book was a style like Kim Harrison's novels, a favorite. I can't wait till the next book in this series.
Even better the second time I read it. I love the humor and the timing is perfect in this book. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
So, I picked up this book because I adored Jaye Wells' Dirty Magic and Meridian Six. Both had awesome world building and interesting characters, but...

I don't know if it was just the reader of the audiobook or that Jaye Wells' awesome style just didn't shine through on this one, but wow, Sabina just sounds like a snotty witch. I got tired of listening to her attitude after a couple of hours and quit.

Somebody tell me if it's worth finishing this, because at this point there's little to redeem this book for me. :/ Which I honestly think is sad, because it's an extended series by an author I have reliably enjoyed. :/ ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
For a first novel Red-Headed Stepchild impressed me. The mythology of the creation of vampires was inspired as was the appearance of a demon cat! I sympathised with Sabina's situation and was pleased with the way her world was explained. I look forward to reading how Sabina handles meeting her sister and dealing with her mage heritage in The Mage in Black.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
For Zach:

No take-backs needed.
Digging graves is hell on a manicure, but I was taught good vampires clean up after every meal.

In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, Sabina has the only profession fit for an outcast: assassin. However, she's never brought her work home with her---until now. This time, it's personal.
Her latest mission threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races. As Sabina scrambles to figure out which side she's on, she uncovers secrets that will change the course of her life forever.
THINGS TO DO:

1) Infiltrate rival vampire cult and assassinate learer

2) Get rid of demon houseguest

3) Ditch hot mage stalker

4) Betray family

In a world where being of mixed blood is a major liability, Sabina doesn't really fit in. And being an assassin - the only profession fit for an outcast - doesn't help matters. But she's never brought her work home. Until now.

Her latest mission is uncomfortably complex and threatens the fragile peace between vampire and mage races. As Sabina scrambles to figure out which side she's on, she uncovers a tangled political web, some nasty facts about her family, and some unexpected new talents. Any of these things could be worryingly life changing, but together they could be fatal...

Sabina Kane: She's down, but she's not out.

In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, half-mage, half-vampire Sabina Kane is an assassin. Her latest mission threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races, and Sabina must figure out which side she's on.

Jaye Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,838,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible