Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, Book 1)…

Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Jaye Wells

Member:LRitte
Title:Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, Book 1)
Authors:Jaye Wells
Info:Orbit (2009), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:vampire, fae, demons, mage, magic

Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells

English (47)  Spanish (1)  All languages (48)
For a first novel Red-Headed Stepchild impressed me. The mythology of the creation of vampires was inspired as was the appearance of a demon cat! I sympathised with Sabina's situation and was pleased with the way her world was explained. I look forward to reading how Sabina handles meeting her sister and dealing with her mage heritage in The Mage in Black.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Actually 2.5 stars & it gained the half star in the last quarter of the book, though. It's a neat world, but the character is just too ignorant for a 53 year old. If she'd been in her late teens or early 20's, it would have flown much better. As it is, we have a 53 year old with all the attitudes & angst of a late teen. similar life experience. She's supposed to be a trained assassin, yet is completely ignorant of the basics of other supernatural races - she had to be for the story to work & that's what didn't work for me.

The heroine does have a fun, flip attitude. It's a fun quick read & I'm holding out hope that the next book [b:The Mage in Black|6929202|The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)|Jaye Wells|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EeOd9c0yL._SL75_.jpg|6622221], the second of the Sabina Kane novels, will be better. So many of the problems with this book were in the forced setup, teaching us about the world due to the ignorance of our heroine.

The characters weren't a fully formed as I would have liked, but weren't bad. Pretty standard & the plot was quite predictable. If the world hadn't been fairly unique, it would have suffered for this a lot more. All in all, it wasn't a waste of time, but the next book isn't something I'm going to rush out to buy. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Good but nothing special. The world created by the author is much like in the other books like that. I like Sabina and Adam as a couple. I’ll read the next book in this series. ( )
  Sarielle | Aug 10, 2014 |
Originally on my blog.

Cover Talk: Badass woman? Check. Red hair? Check. Weapon? Check. Seriously. If a book cover has just one of those things, I am sold. This book cover has it all. I may or may not have developed a girl crush on her.

First Line: “Digging graves is hell on a manicure, but I was taught good vampires clean up after every meal.”

Why I Read It: As if that first line weren’t enough, I have been wanting to read a new UF series and I have had my eyes on this one for a while. When I found The Book Nympho’s Sabina Kane Read-a-long I signed up right away.

Characters: Sabina is tough, sarcastic, and quite funny. She is not one to let others get in her way and is always trying to overcompensate for her mixed heritage. Being half vampire and half mage is not only frowned upon, but the consequences of fraternizing with the enemy is deadly.

Giguhl, AKA, Mr. Giggles, is my favorite! Sent to test Sabina, his plan to kill her doesn’t work. So he’s stuck with her. And oh my word, I love this demon so much. Ordering on home shopping networks, shape shifting into a cat, then a hairless cat. Love this guy. Demon, rather.

Adam the “sexy hexy”. I feel like I don’t need to say anything else, but I’m not shallow and will not only talk about how attractive this guy is. He is also an incredibly powerful mage and is determined to help Sabina embrace her mage side.

Clovis is half-vampire, half-demon and is hellbent on taking over the magical/supernatural world. And I’ll be damned if he is not the most charming thing ever. Ugh. Why? Why are the bad guys so charming?

Plot/World-building: I cannot tell you how much I am digging this world. Vampire, mages, fairies, demons are just a few of my favorite things. Throw in a badass heroine and my life is complete. There are so many societies, rules, conspiracies, and secret organizations in this one book alone. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series and find out more.

The best part of this book is how often I found myself laughing. When reading the synopsis, I didn’t really expect that to be the case. The humor and sarcasm reminds me very much of Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid series that I’ve also been reading. I just love when the hero is an inch from death and they can still make a sarcastic remark, all while bleeding profusely. It’s wonderful.

The ending definitely has me wanting to read the next book very soon. I absolutely cannot wait to see where Sabina will go and what she and her friends will do next.

Final Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. Badassery, sarcasm, grit, humor, and sexy time. I really couldn’t ask for more. I am so ready to read the next book in the series. ( )
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this series. I think the characters where great. I can't wait to see how the story moves forward. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
For Zach:

No take-backs needed.

In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, Sabina has the only profession fit for an outcast: assassin. However, she's never brought her work home with her---until now. This time, it's personal.
Her latest mission threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races. As Sabina scrambles to figure out which side she's on, she uncovers secrets that will change the course of her life forever.
THINGS TO DO:

1) Infiltrate rival vampire cult and assassinate learer

2) Get rid of demon houseguest

3) Ditch hot mage stalker

4) Betray family

In a world where being of mixed blood is a major liability, Sabina doesn't really fit in. And being an assassin - the only profession fit for an outcast - doesn't help matters. But she's never brought her work home. Until now.

Her latest mission is uncomfortably complex and threatens the fragile peace between vampire and mage races. As Sabina scrambles to figure out which side she's on, she uncovers a tangled political web, some nasty facts about her family, and some unexpected new talents. Any of these things could be worryingly life changing, but together they could be fatal...

Sabina Kane: She's down, but she's not out.

In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, half-mage, half-vampire Sabina Kane is an assassin. Her latest mission threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races, and Sabina must figure out which side she's on.

Jaye Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,436,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible