The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica…

The School of Essential Ingredients

by Erica Bauermeister

English (113)  Finnish (1)  All languages (114)
Read like several short stories. ( )
  Alphawoman | May 27, 2014 |
This book was interesting, comfortable, clean and straight. It wasn't pretending to be something it wasn't (like the great grand historical fictional epic wannabe I had listened to previously). I think that many people would categorize this book as chick lit, but I think it was really a series of short stories about the various people who were taking a cooking class from a chef. This chef believes in the healing power of good cooking and that the secret to a happy life is found in the essential ingredients of what you are cooking. This book made me want to go home and cook a meal full of the best ingredients and all the love and caring I could put into it. This is not great literature. It is an average book, but what it does, it does well. This was a nice little book full of a couple of the essential ingredients of life - joy and love. ( )
  benitastrnad | May 1, 2014 |
read 1/14,
over the top and way too flowery for me - i found moments to be lovely but for the most part felt that the author tried too hard with both the language and the story line - just not my type of book. ( )
  njinthesun | Apr 15, 2014 |
One of my all-time favorites. Lovely prose, especially the descriptions about food and cooking. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
For Heidi, Karin, and Dad
Lillian loved best the moment before she turned on the lights.

Once a month on a Monday night, eight students gather in Lillian's resturant for a cooking class. Among them is Claire, a young woman coming to terms with her new identity as a mother; Tom, a lawyer whose life has been overturned by loss; Antonia, an Italian kitchen designer adapting to life in America; and Carl and Helen, a long-married couple whose union contains surprises the rest of the class would never suspect. The students have come to learn the art behind Lillian's soulful dishes, but it soon becomes clear that each seeks a recipe for something beyond the kitchen. And, one by one, they are transformed by the aromas, flavors, and textures of what they create... (978-0-425-23209-5)

Eight students gather in Lillian's Restaurant every Monday night for cooking class. It soon becomes clear, however, that each one seeks a recipe for something beyond the kitchen as Chef Lillian, a woman whose connection with food is both soulful and exacting, helps them to create dishes whose flavor and techniques expand beyond the restaurant and into the secret corners of her students' lives.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,961,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible