When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince…

When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi (1999)

by David Maraniss

For the longest time I wanted to know and understand the legend of Vince Lombardi. Now I'm just kicking myself for waiting so long to do so. Fascinating and extraordinary are just a couple of the adjectives that I could be listing for an endless amount of time. ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
  smcamp1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
GREAT CONDITION! ( )
  leslie440 | Jan 5, 2012 |
I loved this book and I'm not even a football fan. It gave a great, short history of the game while providing terrific insights about a man that became a legend in his time. Maraniss is a great biographer.
  AnneNicholas | Jan 8, 2011 |
Even if you are not a football fan, this is biography at its best. The all-consuming drive of the man makes for a fascinating character study that never leaves you wanting. ( )
  robertmorrow | Dec 28, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684870185, Paperback)

As coach of the Green Bay Packers from 1959 to 1967, Vince Lombardi turned perennial losers into a juggernaut, winning back-to-back NFL titles in 1961 and 1962, and Superbowls I and II in 1966 and 1967. Stern, severe, sentimental, and paternal, he stood revered, reviled, respected, and mocked--a touchstone for the '60s all in one person. Which adds up to the myth we've been left with. But who was the man? That's the question Pulitzer Prize-winner David Maraniss tackles. It begins with Lombardi's looming father, a man as colorful as his son would be conservative. Still, from his father Vince Lombardi learned a sense of presence and authority that could impress itself with just a look. If a moment can sum up and embrace a man's life--and capture the breadth of Maraniss's thoroughness--it is one that takes place off the field when the Packers organization decides to redecorate their offices in advance of the new head coach's arrival: "During an earlier visit," Maraniss reports, "he had examined the quarters--peeling walls, creaky floor, old leather chairs with holes in them, discarded newspapers and magazines piled on chairs and in the corners--and pronounced the setting unworthy of a National Football League club. 'This is a disgrace!' he had remarked." In one moment, one comment, Lombardi announced his intentions, made his vision and professionalism clear, and began to shake up a stale organization. It reveals far more about the man than wins and losses, and is the kind of moment Maraniss uses again and again in this superb resurrection of a figure who so symbolized a sporting era and sensibility. --Jeff Silverman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:56 -0400)

Maraniss captures the myth and the man, football, God, and country in a thrilling biography that has become an American classic.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,965,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible