Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary

Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (1981)

by Beverly Cleary

Other authors: Louis Darling (Illustrator)

Series: Ramona Quimby (6)

This was a very nostalgic re-read. Some of the details are a little dated, such as Ramona playing with the buttons on a cigarette machine at the Whopperburger, but the basic story is still good. Ramona's problems seem trivial to adults, but Cleary reminds the reader that those problems seem huge when you're a kid. ( )
  dyeabolical | Jul 4, 2013 |
Ramona's in third grade! She is worried, misunderstood, and trying hard to get away from Willa Jean and be seen as the older, more mature girl she is.
  hcurrey | Jun 26, 2013 |
This is another childhood favorite of mine that I found myself reading again. Some of the magic has gone since I've aged almost thirty years since the first time I read it, but I didn't have the heart to drop stars in the rating. The five stars is for the little girl who used books to escape the real world for just a little while.

Delightful. ( )
  quillmenow | Jun 6, 2013 |
I was assigned this book in 2nd grade and refused to read it. That didn't go over well with my teacher or my parents and, after suffering threats of demotion to the lower-level reading group, I reluctantly finished it. I don't know why I hated it so much. ( )
  katemo | May 16, 2013 |
I don't think I would have enjoyed Madame Doubtfire even as a kid. The emotionally fraught parts of it probably wouldn't have bothered me -- the family torn apart by divorce, etc, though it would bother some children -- but I would have been too embarrassed by the whole charade for words, and that's how I feel now, as an adult.

It's an attempt at realism, really -- despite the rather whacky concept. It deals with things the children might really think and feel, and with problems parents might well have with their former partners. Some children might find it funny, but eek -- I couldn't.

Looking forward to the lecture on this. I'm sure there'll be plenty to say about it. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ramona Quimby hoped her parents would forget to give her a little talking-to.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709562, Paperback)

From the first day of third grade, when Ramona Quimby meets her eventual nemesis Yard Ape, life moves on at its usual wild pace--usual for the boisterous Ramona, that is. Soon she is accidentally squashing a raw egg into her hair at the school cafeteria, being forced to play Uncle Rat with her annoying young neighbor, and, worst of all, throwing up in her classroom. The responsibilities of an 8-year-old are sometimes daunting, especially in a family that is trying to squeak by while the father goes back to school. But Ramona is full of too much vim and vigor to ever be down for long.

In her second Newbery Honor Book about Ramona (the first was Ramona and Her Father), Beverly Cleary presents another slice of the Quimby family life. Author of more than two dozen children's books, Cleary has a true knack for understanding the tangle of thoughts and emotions in a child's mind and heart. Empathic, witty, and astute, she has earned many other awards, including the Newbery Medal for Dear Mr. Henshaw. Alan Tiegreen's clever line drawings have charmed countless readers of Cleary's books over the years, and his style is now inextricably tied to hers. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:31 -0400)

The further adventures of the Quimby family as Ramona enters the third grade.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,577,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible