Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison…

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic (2006)

by Alison Bechdel

Recently added bymk12, otpeachy, gaskella, private library, mmseiple, BingLGBTQ, acornell, somethingbrighter, gws-uw, kayhag5

English (289)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (301)
Read this book in one sitting. I was captivated by Alison's ability to draw myth and memory into such a compelling twist of an autobiography. Her simple yet effective illustrations offer the right amount of balance and insight into her tale. The story places the magnifying glass on Bechdel's father, exploring his distance from the family as well as some shady dealings that come to light both during his life and after his questionable death. I really felt for Alison trying to draw a parallel between her coming-out and the drawing-within her father did. Masterfully told and I am already downloading "Are You My Mother?" I did read this on my Kindle Fire. This is the first graphic novel I have read in a digital format and it went okay. I do not have the ability to expand the frames if the wording is small so it did become challenging at some points but overall, it was enjoyable and I was able to lose myself in the story and not worry about the device on which I read it. ( )
  ambersnowpants | Aug 23, 2018 |
Growing up in a small town when you are different is not easy. Add a father who seems to be so exacting, a mother who is intent on her thesis and her theater productions, and siblings who are into their own things makes it harder. Alison knows she does not like the feminine clothing her father wants her to wear and their house is, as her mother later calls it, a mausoleum. At times there are moments when she and her father are close, usually around books. Coming out in college, she must now come home for her father's funeral.

This story resonated with me. I could identify with Alison. Though they are a family, there is a disconnect between them. Each person is into their own thing. No one seems to be there for one another. I don't know how this family remained together. There are memories that come out during the book. They may provide clues to the father's lifestyle but, for Alison, there is no more to them than the face value at the time. Later she can see the pattern and realize her father thought she knew about him. There is so many lost opportunities in this family for them to become closer. I felt sorry for them all. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Aug 18, 2018 |
Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
By Alison Bechdel
2006
Minotaur Books

American cartoonist, Alison Bechdel, is known for her comic strip 'Dykes To Watch Out For', wrote this wonderfully done graphic memoir about her relationship with her father, Bruce. And about her sexual orientation as a lesbian.

Bruce Bechdel was a high school English teacher in the small rural town of Pennsylvania called Beech Creek, where Alison grew up. The Fun House was the family name referring to the Funeral Home that Bruce eventual took over as director. His closet homosexuality lead him to many sexual encounters, many with underage boys he would get drunk. When his wife eventually asked for a divorce, he steps in front of a moving truck and is killed. Alison believes it was suicide.
Bruce and Alison struggle with the usual teenage father/ daughter angst, but both share an artistic and an obsessive compulsive tendencies. Alison describes her life with references to various books of literature (esp. Ulysses), television programs and pop culture, which she also notes in the diary she has kept for years.
Themes of suicide, gender roles and a dysfunctional family overlay this story of coming out, finding your first girlfriend and living through Nixon and Watergate trial.
Stunningly brilliant.....Alison Bechdel😍 ( )
  over.the.edge | Aug 13, 2018 |
sad & sweet. i liked the references to literature, non-linear memory-like narrative (it is a memoir after all), diary entries and OCD, how alison creates parallels between her father and herself. good ( )
  MegScrungus | Aug 7, 2018 |
I've never been a fan of the graphic novel or comic book style, but overall this book was worth the read. ( )
  Erica_Coomer | Jul 13, 2018 |
Bechdel’s style is straightforward. Her detailed drawings strive to present what she remembers accurately and with detail. The book is black-and-white with a blue-grey watercolor wash that provides depth and adds to the feeling of memory.

For Mom, Christian, and John.

We did have a lot of fun, in spite of everything.
Like many fathers, mine could occasionally be prevailed on for a spot of "airplane."

In this groundbreaking, bestselling graphic memoir, Alison Bechdel charts her fraught relationship with her late father. In her hands, personal history becomes a work of amazing subtlety and power, written with controlled force and enlivened with humor, rich literary allusion, and heartbreaking detail.

Distant and exacting, Bruce Bechdel was an English teacher and director of the town funeral home, which Alison and her family referred to as the "Fun Home." It was not until college that Alison, who had recently come out as a lesbian, discovered that her father was also gay. A few weeks after this revelation, he was dead, leaving a legacy of mystery for his daughter to resolve.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:09 -0400)

Beeldroman over de problematische verhouding tussen de lesbische schrijfster en haar homoseksuele vader

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible