Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison…

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic (2006)

by Alison Bechdel

English (294)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (306)
Definitely lives up to the hype. I didn't realize it would be as dense with allusion as it is: a challenging, honest, erudite story about grief and identity and personality. Bechdel remembers and records so much: her obsessively recorded obsessive tendencies, for instance, in her childhood diaries are idiosyncratic and illuminating.

An immensely thoughtful book about self-definition, and thanks to its format surprisingly quick to read. ( )
  eilonwy_anne | Mar 9, 2019 |
Moving and painfully honest discussion of Bechdel's childhood and sexuality. ( )
  brakketh | Feb 2, 2019 |
In Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, Alison Bechdel tells the story of her childhood home, the family funerary business (nicknamed “fun home” for “funeral home”), and her complicated relationship with her father. Through her retelling, he is a complicated man, who could simultaneously delight in a moment with his children and aggravate the family through his restoration of their nineteenth-century house; he both inspired Bechdel’s own literary exploration and left her feeling unsupported in other interests. Bechdel’s narrative is as much about her own coming out as a lesbian as it is the complicated relationships of families. Even those who did not come of age in the 1970s-1980s will find commonality in her description of family dynamics.

For its frank honesty, Fun Home has faced continued challenges from moral entrepreneurs who would rather avoid complicated discussions with young readers than let them encounter narratives that could ease their feelings of loneliness or isolation. Ironically, Bechdel, in describing her literary interests, discusses numerous other books that faced banning or censorship for their supposed “obscenity” over the years, such as James Joyce’s Ulysses (pg. 228). This is a must-read both for the narrative and for how Bechdel uses the power of the comics medium to convey her story. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Jan 26, 2019 |
This gets only three stars because I have a bias - I saw the musical 5 times, and really, really loved it. Fun Home is good source material; I thought it was interesting and complex and packed in a lot of detail. However, I felt the musical took some of the most important parts and distilled the rest, in addition to framing the conception of the book in a very innovative way.

And I think there lies the problem of seeing an adaptation prior to reading the source material. It's so much harder to judge each on its own merits. I liked this book but didn't love it. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I enjoyed the graphic novel. She had an interesting and somewhat tragic childhood which lead to a tragic loss of her father when she was 20 years old. After reading the book, I am curious to see how it plays out in a Broadway play.

If you have seen the musical, or have heard about it, I think it would be worth the read. Please be aware that this book is not for children/pre-teens. There are a lot of adult scenes/conversations in this graphic novel. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Bechdel’s style is straightforward. Her detailed drawings strive to present what she remembers accurately and with detail. The book is black-and-white with a blue-grey watercolor wash that provides depth and adds to the feeling of memory.

For Mom, Christian, and John.

We did have a lot of fun, in spite of everything.
Like many fathers, mine could occasionally be prevailed on for a spot of "airplane."

In this groundbreaking, bestselling graphic memoir, Alison Bechdel charts her fraught relationship with her late father. In her hands, personal history becomes a work of amazing subtlety and power, written with controlled force and enlivened with humor, rich literary allusion, and heartbreaking detail.

Distant and exacting, Bruce Bechdel was an English teacher and director of the town funeral home, which Alison and her family referred to as the "Fun Home." It was not until college that Alison, who had recently come out as a lesbian, discovered that her father was also gay. A few weeks after this revelation, he was dead, leaving a legacy of mystery for his daughter to resolve.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:09 -0400)

Beeldroman over de problematische verhouding tussen de lesbische schrijfster en haar homoseksuele vader

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,424,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible