Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison…

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic (2006)

by Alison Bechdel

English (244)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (256)
Graphic Novel/Adult - Really emotional and interesting autobiography via graphic novel. Details the author's relationship with her father, a closeted gay man, her family dynamics, growing up in a small town and ultimately coming out as a lesbian in college. An in-depth look at her past and how her father's untimely death affected how she viewed all of her memories about him. Highly recommended. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
The author looks back on growing up with a distant father who was obsessed with restoring the family's Victorian home. Her lesbian identity develops over the years but it isn't until she outs herself to her parents as a college student that she learns her father has been gay all along. The book is her way of reconciling the father she knew as a child with the man he turned out to have been.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
An affectionate memoir of the author's life with her late closeted homosexual father and her eventual discovery that she was a lesbian. The medium of the graphic novel is used to great affect in the painting of a slightly unusual family and is presented with great wit and intellect. The fusion of memoir and comic book is inspired, and it succeeds in being one of the most notable examples of its kind. ( )
  hickey92 | Jan 24, 2016 |
This is a book I decided randomly to get from the Bracken Library on my campus because I wanted to read a few graphic novels while reading "The Book Thief" for my Holocaust Literature course. I am pleased that I picked it up. This was one of those rare reads that offered me insight into my own life. There were several moments where I felt connected to Bechdel and her story. While I do not have a father that is similar to her own I have to say that moments like when she mentions some of the uneasiness of literature courses I felt a kinship that I wasn't expecting. Also these subtle moments of realizing that you are gay were beautifully mixed into this family story.

Bechdel creates a world that doesn't focus on her sexuality, but more so on the relationship between father and daughter. This makes the story smell like a rose to me. I came away from it feeling a deeper connection to a human being from this one story. It makes me interested in reading some of her other graphic novel work, such as Dykes to Watch Out For. Bechdel never seems to be apologizing for the things that she has to say about her family and I was thankful that at the end of the book she mentions that her family was okay with her writing about these things. It made it a little bit easier to read and less like I was intruding on her family business.

This was a book I would love to have others read because it showcases beautifully that sexuality is just one facet of our lives and at the end of the day we are all living our lives as best as we can. It showcases that we still have other things going on around us while we are dealing with our lives. I think so many people get caught up in the bedroom of sexuality that they forget that we still have families, but Bechdel here allows that to shine through. It makes me admire her work greatly! ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
graphic novel, family relationships, suicide, humor, tragicomic
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Bechdel’s style is straightforward. Her detailed drawings strive to present what she remembers accurately and with detail. The book is black-and-white with a blue-grey watercolor wash that provides depth and adds to the feeling of memory.

For Mom, Christian, and John.

We did have a lot of fun, in spite of everything.
Like many fathers, mine could occasionally be prevailed on for a spot of "airplane."

In this groundbreaking, bestselling graphic memoir, Alison Bechdel charts her fraught relationship with her late father. In her hands, personal history becomes a work of amazing subtlety and power, written with controlled force and enlivened with humor, rich literary allusion, and heartbreaking detail.

Distant and exacting, Bruce Bechdel was an English teacher and director of the town funeral home, which Alison and her family referred to as the "Fun Home." It was not until college that Alison, who had recently come out as a lesbian, discovered that her father was also gay. A few weeks after this revelation, he was dead, leaving a legacy of mystery for his daughter to resolve.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:09 -0400)

This book takes its place alongside the unnerving, memorable, darkly funny family memoirs of Augusten Burroughs and Mary Karr. It's a father-daughter tale perfectly suited to the graphic memoir form. Meet Alison's father, a historic preservation expert and obsessive restorer of the family's Victorian house, a third-generation funeral home director, a high school English teacher, an icily distant parent, and a closeted homosexual who, as it turns out, is involved with male students and a family babysitter. Through narrative that is alternately heartbreaking and fiercely funny, we are drawn into a daughter's complex yearning for her father. And yet, apart from assigned stints dusting caskets at the family-owned 'fun home, ' as Alison and her brothers call it, the relationship achieves its most intimate expression through the shared code of books. When Alison comes out as homosexual herself in late adolescence, the denouement is swift, graphic, and redemptive.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,000,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible