dismiss

Cyteen: The Betrayal (Cyteen) by C. J.…

Cyteen: The Betrayal (Cyteen) (original 1988; edition 1989)

by C. J. Cherryh

Series: Unionside (1.1), Cyteen (Part 1), Alliance-Union Universe (Cyteen, part 1)

Member:baerana
Title:Cyteen: The Betrayal (Cyteen)
Authors:C. J. Cherryh
Info:Warner Books (1989), Paperback

Cyteen I : The Betrayal by C. J. Cherryh (Author) (1988)

An extremely plausible and well-written book about genetic engineering and the politics involved. The characters are superbly fleshed out, and the technology is matter-of-fact believable. This is the first third of the Hugo Award-winning novel, Cyteen. On to part two... ( )
  fuzzi | Aug 18, 2015 |
Never got much more than 50 pages in, and gave up ( )
  Georges_T._Dodds | Mar 30, 2013 |
I read this book at the recommendation of my father. Its an interesting concept -- artificially produced humans have been created to fill gaps in a society far out on the edges of occupied space. However, how are these artificial humans different from "real" humans? How are they different from slaves given they are programmed to perform certain duties with joy and without question?

However, despite the interesting concept, the first two thirds of the book are very slow, and took me ages to read. The last third was much better and I think I'll read the sequels because of that. If the book had stopped after the boring bit, there would be no way I'd read the next book. I think part of the problem is that this book was originally in one volume, instead of the three volume set I own.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/C_J_Cherryh/Cyteen_The_Betrayal.html ( )
  mikal | May 24, 2010 |
Hard SF of the 'non-riveted' kind. With this book and '40,000 in Gehenna', Cherryh fleshes out the Union side of the Union-Alliance conflict.

This book is a great example of 'soft' hard SF; biology/psychology /sociology/politics at a deep level. Ari Emory is presented as a rather unique protagonist, as is often done by Cherryh in her books; you often aren't sure whether she's the good guy or the bad guy. Of course, the story is so good that you hardly care, and the ambiguity of the character is one of the best parts. ( )
4 vote wyrdchao | Aug 18, 2007 |

Cherryh, C. J.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auerbach, MárgaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Barceló, MiquelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Alliance-Union Universe (Cyteen, part 1)
Cyteen (Part 1)
Unionside (1.1)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Imagine all the variety of the human species confined to a single world, a world sown with the petrified bones of human ancestors, a planet dotted with the ruins of ten thousand years of forgotten human civilizations--a planet on which at the time human beings first flew in space, humans still hunted a surplus of animals, gathered wild plants, farmed with ancient methods, spun natural yarns by hand and cooked over wood fires.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,190,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible