Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery (Chet…

Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery (Chet and Bernie Mysteries) (edition 2009)

by Spencer Quinn

Member:AmandaPS
Title:Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery (Chet and Bernie Mysteries)
Authors:Spencer Quinn
Info:Atria Books (2009), Paperback, 336 pages

Dog on It by Spencer Quinn

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: Written from dog's point of view
    Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story by Leonie Swann (Fourpawz2)
    Fourpawz2: More in the way of quirky animal detective(s) - sheep this time!

English (108)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  All languages (111)
DESCRIPTION, NOT REVIEW: Chet, the wise and lovable canine narrator of Dog on It, and Bernie, a down-on-his-luck private investigator, are quick to take a new case involving a frantic mother searching for her teenage daughter. This well-behaved and gifted student may or may not have been kidnapped, but she has definitely gotten mixed up with some very unsavory characters. With Chet’s highly trained nose leading the way, their hunt for clues takes them into the desert to biker bars and other exotic locales—until the bad guys try to turn the tables and the resourceful duo lands in the paws of peril. Spencer Quinn’s irresistible mystery kicks off a delightful new series that will have readers panting for more. ( )
  treehousereader | Apr 24, 2016 |
Written from Chet the dog's point of view, this detective story is just the thing for dog lovers who like their dogs to be DOGS, rather than people in furry coats. Chet thinks like a dog (e.g. stopping for gas at a convenience store means SNACKS) and does a lot of doggie things (hanging his head out the window, marking, loving to get his ears scratched). Despite the "limited" canine perspective, this is an excellent and logical detective story with good twists and plenty of action. Highly recommended! ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
Very cute. I'm usually not a fan of animal mysteries but this one was very entertaining. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
Teri Schnaubelt
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Chet and Bernie are Private Investigators, or at least Bernie is, and Chet is the K-Nine school failure who almost passed but for one small glitch, and this is the first book in the Chet and Bernie Mysteries. Bernie is hired to find a missing girl who was missing, found and then missing again. We meet Suzie Sanchez, a reporter doing a story, who sticks around once the story is done, and it turns out this was for the best, for everyone concerned. As Chet and Bernie do their work, Chet has some adventures on his own, although not of his own choosing.

This is the second book I’ve read in this series; I first read the seventh book when my youngest teen gave it to me for Christmas. How could I not read a book from my son who worked so hard to find a gift he’d thought I’d like, even though he doesn’t really know my reading tastes, and who I would like to see read more. I have to say that I liked the seventh one a bit better, and laughed out loud. It may well be because the writing improves over time. It might also be the nature of the mystery; as a mother it’s harder to laugh in a book where it’s a missing teen at stake. It could be that it’s one of those “funny the first time but then the novelty wears off” for me type series as well. The only way I’ll know for sure is if I read one more.

If you like cozy mysteries, dogs and humour, then this is a series for you. Three stars means I liked it, but then I am not a big reader of mysteries (I read a few) and rarely read a book with a dog as the protagonist. ( )
  Karin7 | Feb 29, 2016 |
An exciting new mystery series debuts with this first Chet and Bernie novel. Chet the Jet is a dog who failed K-9 school (cats in the open country played a role in his demise), but now he is a dedicated PI and works with Bernie, owner of the Little Detective Agency. The story is told entirely from Chet’s point of view, which will delight dog-loving mystery readers, but the book is also an excellent PI tale, dogs aside, as Chet and Bernie investigate the disappearance of a teenage girl whose developer dad may be up to no good. Chet may not understand things like maps (he doesn’t need them, as he can sniff his way home), but he is a great sleuth who finds the girl and solves the case. The always upbeat Chet may well be one of the most appealing new detectives on the block, but conscientious, kind, and environmentally aware Bernie is a close runner-up. Excellent and fully fleshed primary and secondary characters, a consistently doggy view of the world, and a sprightly pace make this a not-to-be-missed debut. Essential for all mystery collections and for dog lovers everywhere.
added by cmwilson101 | editBooklist, Jessica Moyer

Set in the Valley of an unnamed Western state, Quinn's winning debut introduces one smart canine detective and his partner, PI Bernie Little of the Little Detective Agency, who's pretty quick on the uptake himself. Chet, a lively mongrel with one white ear and one black ear, serves as the book's narrator, communicating with Bert via doggy methods that verge on the telepathic (I wagged my tail, that quick one-two wag meaning yes, not the over-the-top one that wags itself and can mean lots of things). Wealthy divorcée Cynthia Chambliss hires Bernie, a former cop, to find her missing 15-year-old daughter, Madison, whose father is a real estate developer who smells suspiciously of cat. (Chet's keen sense of smell comes in handy.) When Madison reappears and disappears again, her dad says she's just a runaway, though Bernie thinks otherwise. Chet must use all his superdog tricks to extricate Bernie from a mighty tight fix in a climax that fans of classic mysteries are sure to appreciate.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublisher's Weekly

Spencer Quinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abrahams, Peterauthor's real namesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Car CultureDashboard cover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorfman, AnnaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frangione, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herronen, AilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trood, DavidDesert cover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bailey, Gansett, Charlie, Clem, and Audrey, without whom this book would not have been possible.
I could smell him--or rather the booze on his breath--before he even opened the door, but my sense of smell is pretty good, probably better than yours.

Meet Chet, the wise and lovable canine narrator of Dog on It, who works alongside Bernie, a down-on-his-luck private investigator. Chet might have flunked out of police school ("I'd been the best leaper in K-9 class, which had led to all the trouble in a way I couldn't remember exactly, although blood was involved"), but he's a detective through and through.

In this, their first adventure, Chet and Bernie investigate the disappearance of Madison, a teenage girl who may or may not have been kidnapped, but who has definitely gotten mixed up with some very unsavory characters. A well-behaved, gifted student, she didn't arrive home after school and her divorced mother is frantic. Bernie is quick to take the case -- something about a cash flow problem that Chet's not all that clear about -- and he's relieved, if vaguely suspicious, when Madison turns up unharmed with a story that doesn't add up. But when she disappears for a second time in a week, Bernie and Chet aren't taking any chances; they launch a full-blown investigation. Without a ransom demand, they're not convinced it's a kidnapping, but they are sure of one thing: something smells funny.

Their search for clues takes them into the desert to biker bars and other exotic locals, with Chet's highly trained nose leading the way. Both Chet and Bernie bring their own special skills to the hunt, one that puts each of them in peril. But even as the bad guys try to turn the tables, this duo is nothing if not resourceful, and the result is an uncommonly satisfying adventure.

With his doggy ways and his endearingly hardboiled voice, Chet is full of heart and occasionally prone to mischief. He is intensely loyal to Bernie, who, though distracted by issues that Chet has difficulty understanding -- like divorce, child custody, and other peculiar human concerns -- is enormously likable himself, in his flawed, all-too-human way.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible