The Pied Piper of Hamelin by Robert Browning

The Pied Piper of Hamelin

by Robert Browning, Kate Greenaway (Illustrator)

Member:aecole16
Title:The Pied Piper of Hamelin
Authors:Robert Browning
Other authors:Kate Greenaway (Illustrator)
Info:Frederick Warne and Co., Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Rating:**1/2

The Pied Piper of Hamelin by Robert Browning

I was unaware, until I read this, that it was a poem. Despite being a classic, I had never read it before, though I knew the basic story of course. In any case, I found this poem to be quite enjoyable. If you haven't read it already, I recommend that you do. ( )
  seldombites | Aug 17, 2013 |
The legend of the lost children of Hamelin (Hameln) has been retold many times, from Goethe's 1803 poem (Der Rattenfänger), to the legend of Die Kinder zu Hameln, to be found in the collection of the Brothers Grimm. English speakers however, are probably most familiar with Robert Browning's poem, The Pied Piper of Hamelin, which was first published in 1842, and which has given its name to most subsequent retellings of the tale, whether in prose or poetry.

In this edition, Browning's work is presented in picture-book format, with illustrations by Anatoly Ivanov. It's interesting to note that although the cover artwork is painted to look like a stain-glass window, the interior illustrations are in a different style altogether - colorful, and much more realistic than those to be found in Kate Greenaway's classic edition.

Prompted by a question in the Children's Book group I moderate on another site, I have been rereading the various editions of this tale currently in my collection, and have come to the realization that it is really the story I appreciate, rather than the poem. There are certainly specific passages that appeal to me, but taken all together, I find that I prefer prose retellings, particularly that done by Sara and Stephen Corrin. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 17, 2013 |
The Pied Piper of Hamelin is "the first in a series of miniature books that focus on original folklore classics" and the latest edition from Lorin Morgan-Richards' A Raven Above Press. The wonderful thing about Morgan-Richards' books is that they are all handmade originals. He creates each book individually, so each is unique in its own way. Quite frankly, as far as I'm concerned, his books are miniature works of art.

Lorin Morgan-Richards art reminds me of a modern day Charles Addams or Edward Gorey. He dabbles in the unusual and strange, yet there's just enough of the familiar in his artwork to keep it grounded. His artwork is perfectly matched to the tone of The Pied Piper of Hamelin, the familiar folklore tale of the strange Piper who comes to Hamelin to rid them of the rats that are infesting their town, and who then takes the children of Hamelin away with his magical, musical pipe after the townsfolk deny paying for his service.

The book itself is rather tiny, measuring at just 4 inches tall and 3 inches wide, which really adds to its charm. I so thoroughly enjoy the books from A Raven Above Press, and I'm looking forward to future editions in the Folklore Mini-Series. ( )
  tapestry100 | Oct 19, 2012 |
The Pied Piper comes to the village and pipes away the rats. The Pied Piper asks to be paid, but the villagers would not pay him. Find out what interesting thing the Pied Piper takes because he was not paid by the villagers by reading the book to your child. Find out how excited your child will be to read this book by all of the interesting questions and thoughts they present to you. ( )
  klsulliv | Oct 25, 2011 |
Blake, who usually groans at poetry, loved this poem. Even without illustrations. ( )
  momma2 | Jul 14, 2011 |

Robert Browningprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunlap, HopeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Greenaway, KateIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Small, TerryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hamelin Town's in Brunswick, by famous Hanover city; the river Weser, deep and wide, washes its wall on the southern side; a pleasanter spot you never spied; but when begins my ditty, almost five hundred years ago, to see the townsfolk suffer so from vermin, was a pity.
This poem has been illustrated by many artists; this version is by Anatoly Ivanov. (isbn 0688038093)

Robert Browning’s famous verse retelling of the medieval legend of the Pied Piper is renowned for its humor and vivid wordplay. When the selfish townspeople of Hamelin refuse to pay the piper for spiriting away the hordes of rats that had plagued them, he exacts his revenge by luring away their greatest treasure, the children of the town.

Color reproductions of Kate Greenaway’s beautiful, delicate watercolor illustrations adorn every page.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:46 -0400)

The Pied Piper pipes the village free of rats, and when the villagers refuse to pay him for the service he exacts a terrible revenge.

Legacy Library: Robert Browning

Robert Browning has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Robert Browning's legacy profile.

See Robert Browning's author page.

4 free

Pook Press

An edition of this book was published by Pook Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible