Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D.…

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (1976)

by Mildred D. Taylor

Series: Roll of Thunder (1)

7,228344747 (3.93)1 / 159
Recently added byprivate library, greatbrittain83, LexFern, kineticlibrary, michellelarock, awortham
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (CurrerBell)
    Sounder by William H. Armstrong (kaledrina)

Why is the land so important to Cassie's family? It takes the events of one turbulent year—the year of the night riders and the burnings, the year a white girl humiliates Cassie in public simply because she's black—to show Cassie that having a place of their own is the Logan family's lifeblood. It is the land that gives the Logans their courage and pride—no matter how others may degrade them, the Logans possess something no one can take away.
  JESGalway | Aug 27, 2018 |
Set in 1933-1934 in Spokane County, Mississippi, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is narrated by Cassie, a young black girl whose mother is a teacher and whose father works on the railroad to make enough money to keep their house and farmland. Cassie, her older brother Stacey, and younger brothers Christopher-John and Little Man encounter unfairness daily; exhibit A is their walk to and from school, as the white kids' bus throws dirt and mud on them as it passes. Exhibit B is their school books, obviously years old and formerly the property of white students, only handed down once they were in terrible condition. But they encounter worse and more dangerous injustice when their neighbor, T.J., gets involved with white "friends."

See also: Stella By Starlight by Sharon Draper

Quotes

"White is something just like black is something. Everybody born on this earth is something and nobody, no matter what color, is better than anybody else."
"Then how come Mr. Simms don't know that?"
"Because he's one of those people who has to believe that white people are better than black people to make himself feel big...
So now, even though seventy years have passed since slavery, most white people still think of us as they did then - and people like Mr. Simms hold on to that belief harder than some other folks because they have little else to hold on to." (Mama and Cassie, 127-129)

"[We] even fought in their war together. What good was it? A black man's life ain't worth the life of a cowfly down here." (Uncle Hammer, 138)

"It's tough out there, boy, and as long as there are people, there's gonna be somebody trying to take what you got and trying to drag you down. It's up to you whether you let them or not....You care what a lot of useless people say 'bout you you'll never get anywhere, 'cause there's a lotta folks don't want you to make it." (Uncle Hammer to Stacey, 143)

"But there are other things, Cassie, that if I'd let be, they'd eat away at me and destroy me in the end. And it's the same with you, baby. There are things you can't back down on, things you gotta take a stand on. But it's up to you to decide what them things are." (Papa, 175-176) ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 9, 2018 |
Warmth, humor and hard times prevail as a black family struggles to maintain dignity and independence in Depression-era Mississippi.
  brudder | Feb 12, 2018 |
If I ever teach 7th and 8th grade, I will be using this novel. I think it is a great way to help them develop cultural awareness and gain perspective from the time period of the setting of the book. ( )
  kwait | Feb 8, 2018 |
I love this book! This is a story about Cassie Logan and her family. The story takes place during the Jim Crow era. The book highlights the burning of crosses, homes of colored people and mistreat of Blacks during this time. It provides insight on the Freedman's journey to become truly free.

I would use this book to educate the students on differences and acceptance. I would use it to reinforce that there isn't a difference between anyone except for skin tone. ( )
  LatriciaMurphy | Dec 3, 2017 |
Roll of thunder hear my cry

This book is about a family that lived in Mississippi. They owned a lot of land. There were the Wallace’s who were mean white people. There family was big. Papa sent Mr. Morrison to watch all of his family. There was a guy named T.J who took the wrong side of the road. And was blamed for stealing a gun. Papa went down to the land and set a fire so that T.J would not get hurt anymore. In the end, everything turned out great and it did not have to end in violence.

We read this book in my 7th grade LA class. I enjoyed reading it. My favorite part was when Papa set a distraction to make them stop hitting T.J... I loved this book. Everybody should read this. The only part I did not like was when they cursed at the African Americans. I encourage all readers to read this book.
added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editlibrarything.com, Dawson.Beshears

Mildred D. Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pinkney, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my beloved father, who lived many adventures of the boy Stacey and who was in essence the man David.
"Little Man, would you come on?"
As moronic rolls of laughter and cries of 'Nigger! Nigger! Mud eater!" wafted from the open windows, Little Man threw his mudball, missing the wheels by several feet. Then, totally dismayed by what happened, he buried his face in his hands and cried.
For him to believe that he is better than we are makes him think he's important, simply because he's white.
Baby, we have not choice of what color we're born or what our parents are or whether we're rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we're here.
Roll of Thunder
beat me down
But I ain't
gonna let him
Turn me' round

Although the Civil War ended, racial discrimination is still a part of the culture in the South, especially in Mississippi. The story is about the Logan's determination to stand up against prejudice amidst opposition: night riders, burnings, and lynchings. The Logans even face the possibility of losing their source of independence: the land that they own.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142401129, Paperback)

In all Mildred D. Taylor's unforgettable novels she recounts "not only the joy of growing up in a large and supportive family, but my own feelings of being faced with segregation and bigotry." Her Newbery Medal-winning Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry tells the story of one African American family, fighting to stay together and strong in the face of brutal racist attacks, illness, poverty, and betrayal in the Deep South of the 1930s. Nine-year-old Cassie Logan, growing up protected by her loving family, has never had reason to suspect that any white person could consider her inferior or wish her harm. But during the course of one devastating year when her community begins to be ripped apart by angry night riders threatening African Americans, she and her three brothers come to understand why the land they own means so much to their Papa. "Look out there, Cassie girl. All that belongs to you. You ain't never had to live on nobody's place but your own and long as I live and the family survives, you'll never have to. That's important. You may not understand that now but one day you will. Then you'll see."

Twenty-five years after it was first published, this special anniversary edition of the classic strikes as deep and powerful a note as ever. Taylor's vivid portrayal of ugly racism and the poignancy of Cassie's bewilderment and gradual toughening against social injustice and the men and women who perpetuate it, will remain with readers forever. Two award-winning sequels, Let the Circle Be Unbroken and The Road to Memphis, and a long-awaited prequel, The Land, continue the profoundly moving tale of the Logan family. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

The story of one African American family fighting to stay together and strong in the face of brutal racist attacks, illness, poverty, and betrayal in the Deep South of the 1930s.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140371745, 0141333340

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,835,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible