Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D.…

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (1976)

by Mildred D. Taylor

5,399314805 (3.92)1 / 120
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Sounder by William H. Armstrong (kaledrina)

Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry
Have you been a slave and been treated like dirt? Well Cassie has , the year was 1933 in rural Mississippi. Cassie Logan - The narrator and protagonist. Cassie is the second-oldest Logan child. She has a fiery temper like her Uncle Hammer. Also, she is very naive concerning the facts of racism.
Little Man (Clayton Chester Logan) - A meticulously neat first-grader, Little Man is the youngest of the Logan children.
Stacey Logan - A thirteen-year-old boy, Stacey is the oldest of the Logan children. He is part-adult, part-child.
Christopher-John - A cheerful seven-year-old, Christopher-John is the second youngest of the Logan children. He is timid.
Papa (David Logan) - Cassie’s father. He values his independence highly, leaving to work on the railroad in order not to lose ownership of Logan land.
Mama (Mary Logan) - Cassie’s mother, a schoolteacher.
Uncle Hammer - Papa’s brother, Hammer lives in Chicago. He has a short temper.
Big Ma (Caroline Logan) - Papa’s mother. A woman of sixty, she runs the Logan farm.
T. J. Avery - A trouble-making friend of Stacey's. The Aeries are sharecroppers on Granger land. T. J. has a younger brother named Claude.
Jeremy Simms - A white boy who is often beaten for walking to school with and associating with the Logan children. His sister is Lillian Jean, who is often rude to Cassie. He has two big brothers, Melvin and R. W., who use T. J. pretending they are his friend.
Lillian Jean Simms - A prissy seventh grader.
Melvin and R. W. Simms - The older Simms brothers make trouble. They pretend to befriend T. J., but make fun of him behind his back.
L. T. Morrison - A big, burly man with streaks of white hair who comes to work on the Logan farm.
Mr. Jamison - A local lawyer; a white man. His forefathers bought land from Harlan Granger during the reconstruction, and sold some of it to the Logan family. Mr. Jamison is very sympathetic to the plight of the black community.
The Wallace Family (Caleb, Dewberry, etc.) - The Wallace family runs a general store on Harlan Granger's land. They are violent, brutal people.
Harlan Granger - A rich plantation owner who is anxious to buy back the Logan's land. Here are the characters of the story.

The author is Mildred D. Taylor and this what she look like. She won the John Newberry Medal, More. She was born September 13, 1943(at age 71), in Jackson, MS. She graduated from the University of Toledo in 1965. Ms. Mildred married a man by the name of Howard Millhouse. I can recommend this book to people who were being treated like a slave and who are ages 10 and up. ( )
  Zhyarin02 | Feb 4, 2015 |
Valuable insight into what racism was like in the 1930s. The characters and their motivations were fleshed out well. Interesting twist at the end. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
Quite a hard-hitting book that definitely made me think about it long after I'd finished reading it.

Really shocking to think that people could treat (and some still do) people in that way.

Think it is important for children to read things like this because it is so shocking, in the hopes that it would stop history from repeating itself.

Felt that it ended very abruptly and would have liked it to continue so I knew what happened to the family after all the land was burned as well as what would happen to T.J. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 7, 2014 |
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor is a remarkable book. It is told from a child's (Cassie) point of view. Cassie recalls what it was like growing up during the Great Depression, a time of full-fledged racism, and how her family made it through. This story has great historical value and although it is a novel, you WANT to read it because you WANT to know what is going to happen. I would recommend this book for fourth through seventh graders. In the classroom, kids could follow the events and make a timeline starting with the Great Depression. This could open up a lot of discussions on racism, the Great Depression, segregation, and integration. ( )
  Nijania | Dec 4, 2014 |
It takes place during the Great Depression and deals with the tragedy and troubles of the era. This book is good for slightly older children. I feel it important that children understand controversial topics such as racism since it is still very prevalent today. This book is very clear where right and wrong is concerned, displaying numerous acts of injustices; therefore, books such as this one could possibly soften students and perhaps even prevent racism in some.
  emilystrong | Nov 30, 2014 |
Roll of thunder hear my cry

This book is about a family that lived in Mississippi. They owned a lot of land. There were the Wallace’s who were mean white people. There family was big. Papa sent Mr. Morrison to watch all of his family. There was a guy named T.J who took the wrong side of the road. And was blamed for stealing a gun. Papa went down to the land and set a fire so that T.J would not get hurt anymore. In the end, everything turned out great and it did not have to end in violence.

We read this book in my 7th grade LA class. I enjoyed reading it. My favorite part was when Papa set a distraction to make them stop hitting T.J... I loved this book. Everybody should read this. The only part I did not like was when they cursed at the African Americans. I encourage all readers to read this book.
added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editlibrarything.com, Dawson.Beshears

To the memory of my beloved father, who lived many adventures of the boy Stacey and who was in essence the man David.
"Little Man, would you come on?"
As moronic rolls of laughter and cries of 'Nigger! Nigger! Mud eater!" wafted from the open windows, Little Man threw his mudball, missing the wheels by several feet. Then, totally dismayed by what happened, he buried his face in his hands and cried.
For him to believe that he is better than we are makes him think he's important, simply because he's white.
Baby, we have not choice of what color we're born or what our parents are or whether we're rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we're here.
Roll of Thunder
beat me down
But I ain't
gonna let him
Turn me' round

Although the Civil War ended, racial discrimination is still a part of the culture in the South, especially in Mississippi. The story is about the Logan's determination to stand up against prejudice amidst opposition: night riders, burnings, and lynchings. The Logans even face the possibility of losing their source of independence: the land that they own.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142401129, Paperback)

In all Mildred D. Taylor's unforgettable novels she recounts "not only the joy of growing up in a large and supportive family, but my own feelings of being faced with segregation and bigotry." Her Newbery Medal-winning Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry tells the story of one African American family, fighting to stay together and strong in the face of brutal racist attacks, illness, poverty, and betrayal in the Deep South of the 1930s. Nine-year-old Cassie Logan, growing up protected by her loving family, has never had reason to suspect that any white person could consider her inferior or wish her harm. But during the course of one devastating year when her community begins to be ripped apart by angry night riders threatening African Americans, she and her three brothers come to understand why the land they own means so much to their Papa. "Look out there, Cassie girl. All that belongs to you. You ain't never had to live on nobody's place but your own and long as I live and the family survives, you'll never have to. That's important. You may not understand that now but one day you will. Then you'll see."

Twenty-five years after it was first published, this special anniversary edition of the classic strikes as deep and powerful a note as ever. Taylor's vivid portrayal of ugly racism and the poignancy of Cassie's bewilderment and gradual toughening against social injustice and the men and women who perpetuate it, will remain with readers forever. Two award-winning sequels, Let the Circle Be Unbroken and The Road to Memphis, and a long-awaited prequel, The Land, continue the profoundly moving tale of the Logan family. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

A black family living in Mississippi during the Depression of the 1930s is faced with prejudice and discrimination which its children do not understand.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140371745, 0141333340

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,766,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible