Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D.…

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (1976)

by Mildred D. Taylor

Series: Roll of Thunder (1)

5,615323762 (3.91)1 / 123
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Sounder by William H. Armstrong (kaledrina)

This is the best of an eight book series about a sharecropping family in Mississippi during the depression. Readers get to experience the love of family and land ownership while experiencing the hardships that the black farming family faces. This is a great book but be aware that there is some language that may offend. ( )
  flackm | Jul 25, 2015 |
Well written, gripping story of a turbulent year told from a 9 year old girls perspective. Set in 1933 on a rural Mississippi 400 acre farm, an African-American family deals with economic and racial problems and injustice. There is good reason why this is a Newbery prize winner - good for young readers or adults. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
1930's Mississippi, racism
  Jquimbey | Jul 11, 2015 |
In this Newberry Award winning book, Cassie Logan is an African American girl growing up in the 1930's in Mississippi. Her family owns a farm, but is hit hard by the Depression and the falling crop prices. Cassie and her three brothers struggle with events that took place within one year and come to realize how important it is for their family to save the land that they own and not become sharecroppers like other families in their community. This is a fictional story, but it is based on real life events that took place in the author's family. There is language in the book that some may find offensive.

This is a wonderful historical fiction account that richly invites readers to discover setting and dialect along with some really wonderful characters. I think there would need to be some frontloading about the time and place these events took place as well as assistance on some of the nuisances of the language/dialect used throughout the book. I think there are some rich connections in this book to African American Civil Rights Movement in the 1950's and 1960's and regarding discrimination in general. There are many opportunities for students to have grand conversations and engage in wonderful dialog within literacy circles while reading this text. ( )
  zsvandyk | Jun 6, 2015 |
Read my review of the audiobook version of this 1977 Newbery Medalist, historical fiction about race relations in rural Mississippi in the 1930s, at http://newberryproject.blogspot.com/2009/03/roll-of-thunder-hear-my-cry.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
Roll of thunder hear my cry

This book is about a family that lived in Mississippi. They owned a lot of land. There were the Wallace’s who were mean white people. There family was big. Papa sent Mr. Morrison to watch all of his family. There was a guy named T.J who took the wrong side of the road. And was blamed for stealing a gun. Papa went down to the land and set a fire so that T.J would not get hurt anymore. In the end, everything turned out great and it did not have to end in violence.

We read this book in my 7th grade LA class. I enjoyed reading it. My favorite part was when Papa set a distraction to make them stop hitting T.J... I loved this book. Everybody should read this. The only part I did not like was when they cursed at the African Americans. I encourage all readers to read this book.
added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editlibrarything.com, Dawson.Beshears

Mildred D. Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinkney, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my beloved father, who lived many adventures of the boy Stacey and who was in essence the man David.
"Little Man, would you come on?"
As moronic rolls of laughter and cries of 'Nigger! Nigger! Mud eater!" wafted from the open windows, Little Man threw his mudball, missing the wheels by several feet. Then, totally dismayed by what happened, he buried his face in his hands and cried.
For him to believe that he is better than we are makes him think he's important, simply because he's white.
Baby, we have not choice of what color we're born or what our parents are or whether we're rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we're here.
Roll of Thunder
beat me down
But I ain't
gonna let him
Turn me' round

Although the Civil War ended, racial discrimination is still a part of the culture in the South, especially in Mississippi. The story is about the Logan's determination to stand up against prejudice amidst opposition: night riders, burnings, and lynchings. The Logans even face the possibility of losing their source of independence: the land that they own.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142401129, Paperback)

In all Mildred D. Taylor's unforgettable novels she recounts "not only the joy of growing up in a large and supportive family, but my own feelings of being faced with segregation and bigotry." Her Newbery Medal-winning Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry tells the story of one African American family, fighting to stay together and strong in the face of brutal racist attacks, illness, poverty, and betrayal in the Deep South of the 1930s. Nine-year-old Cassie Logan, growing up protected by her loving family, has never had reason to suspect that any white person could consider her inferior or wish her harm. But during the course of one devastating year when her community begins to be ripped apart by angry night riders threatening African Americans, she and her three brothers come to understand why the land they own means so much to their Papa. "Look out there, Cassie girl. All that belongs to you. You ain't never had to live on nobody's place but your own and long as I live and the family survives, you'll never have to. That's important. You may not understand that now but one day you will. Then you'll see."

Twenty-five years after it was first published, this special anniversary edition of the classic strikes as deep and powerful a note as ever. Taylor's vivid portrayal of ugly racism and the poignancy of Cassie's bewilderment and gradual toughening against social injustice and the men and women who perpetuate it, will remain with readers forever. Two award-winning sequels, Let the Circle Be Unbroken and The Road to Memphis, and a long-awaited prequel, The Land, continue the profoundly moving tale of the Logan family. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

A black family living in Mississippi during the Depression of the 1930s is faced with prejudice and discrimination which its children do not understand.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140371745, 0141333340

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,069,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible