Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (1976)

by Mildred D. Taylor

Series: Logan Family (4)

8,524362657 (3.93)1 / 174
A black family living in Mississippi during the Depression of the 1930s is faced with prejudice and discrimination which its children do not understand.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (CurrerBell)
    Sounder by William H. Armstrong (kaledrina)

My Blog

I enjoy this book. I really feel for the Logan family, their struggles and the unfairness they have to face. The story has a massage of staying strong and keeping your head up. I like when the kids sabotage the school bus.

The N-word is used through out the book just to give a fair warning. It up to your own preference whether to read this or give it to a young reader. Otherwise this is a good story.

Points:

Characters: 5/5 – The whole Logan family is likable. T.J start out unlikble, then towards the end you feel bad for him. (that is good story telling and character development 1)

Writing: 5/5 – The story is written in a southern dialect. Setting the tone and atmosphere 1.

Plot: 5/5 – The plot is not linear. It told though the eyes of Cassie of everyday life is like.

Total: 17/20 = 5 *stars* ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
My Blog

Points:

Total: 17/20 = 5 *stars* ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Nine-year-old Cassie Logan is growing up during the Great Depression in Mississippi. An inquisitive young girl, she doesn't understand why she and her brothers must walk all the way to school, dodging the bus filled with white children as it purposely tries to run them off the road. Why do they go to different schools? As the story progresses, Cassie begins to understand how life works in the South under the Jim Crow laws and how her family struggles to get by.

This is a great book--at times difficult to get through, but providing an eye-opening experience of racism through the eyes of a nine-year-old. It won the Newberry Medal in 1977 ( )
  ocgreg34 | Sep 8, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Roll of thunder hear my cry

This book is about a family that lived in Mississippi. They owned a lot of land. There were the Wallace’s who were mean white people. There family was big. Papa sent Mr. Morrison to watch all of his family. There was a guy named T.J who took the wrong side of the road. And was blamed for stealing a gun. Papa went down to the land and set a fire so that T.J would not get hurt anymore. In the end, everything turned out great and it did not have to end in violence.

We read this book in my 7th grade LA class. I enjoyed reading it. My favorite part was when Papa set a distraction to make them stop hitting T.J... I loved this book. Everybody should read this. The only part I did not like was when they cursed at the African Americans. I encourage all readers to read this book.
added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editlibrarything.com, Dawson.Beshears

Mildred D. Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pinkney, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thigpen, LynneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my beloved father, who lived many adventures of the boy Stacey and who was in essence the man David.
"Little Man, would you come on?"
As moronic rolls of laughter and cries of 'Nigger! Nigger! Mud eater!" wafted from the open windows, Little Man threw his mudball, missing the wheels by several feet. Then, totally dismayed by what happened, he buried his face in his hands and cried.
For him to believe that he is better than we are makes him think he's important, simply because he's white.
Baby, we have not choice of what color we're born or what our parents are or whether we're rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we're here.
Roll of Thunder
beat me down
But I ain't
gonna let him
Turn me' round

Although the Civil War ended, racial discrimination is still a part of the culture in the South, especially in Mississippi. The story is about the Logan's determination to stand up against prejudice amidst opposition: night riders, burnings, and lynchings. The Logans even face the possibility of losing their source of independence: the land that they own.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140371745, 0141333340

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,719,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible