Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D.…

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (1976)

by Mildred D. Taylor

5,465317793 (3.92)1 / 122
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Sounder by William H. Armstrong (kaledrina)

Undoubtedly, it is the most revealing book I have read. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred A. Taylor speaks from the perspective of Cassie Logan, a young girl of color in segregated and racist Mississippi, as her family tries to combat the monopoly of a few white landowners and store owners, the threats of violence toward their neighbors and their family, and the other disgraces and manipulations forced on them.

Cassie has what my dad would say was an "over-active justice muscle", one that doesn't care how things are but it focused on how things should be. This is evident in her trip with Big Ma, who is her grandmother, and her brothers to the market in Strawberry, a neighboring town. Not only do they have a separate section of the market, but when the children go into the main store with a list of goods to purchase, the storekeeper waits on everyone but them, even though they were there first. Cassie exercises that muscle and demands to be waited on fairly, and gets kicked out of the store, being told by the owner that she needs a reminder of "what she is". On her way back, she bumps into Lillian Jean Simms, a little white girl, who demands an apology from her "nasty little self", and when she refuses, Mr. Simms pins Cassie's arm behind her back until she not only apologizes, but calls her "Miz Lillian Jean". This shows not only the unfair treatment of people of color in that place and time, but also displays the thoughts of the white folk there toward the people of color.

There is more about Lillian Jean. Cassie decides to get back at her by pretending to be her slave to get close to her, learn all her secrets, and get her alone. Then, she fights Lillian Jean in the woods, pulling her hair, ruining her books, and throwing her into the dirt, threatening that if she tells, all her secrets will be known. The crushing thing about this situation is that Lillian Jean doesn't get it. She's bewildered why Cassie lashes out like this, saying "but you were such a sweet girl". She's absolutely clueless about the injustice, even when she gets what's coming to her, as is the nature of privilege.

But not all white people hate them. The lawyer and Jeremy Simms are both white people who try to aid and befriend Cassie's family, to become their advocates, and even though they are met with mistrust, do not stop trying to advocate for them.

These are all valuable lessons to learn. The violence and segregation we have heard of, and racism and privilege are hot topics today. But this book lets us see it and feel it from another person's eyes and soul and you cannot leave this book without a better understanding, your eyes opened a little wider, and your worldview changed. Definitely worth the read. ( )
  AmandaLK | Apr 17, 2015 |
This is a realistic fiction novel. It tells the story of a black family during the time in our country when racism was running ramped. We read the story from Cassie's point of view and learn about the struggles they face everyday. There is mostly fear in this book, we see slandering, hatred, and death. This is the struggles that Cassie and her family go through in this story.
  ecarlson2014 | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book! I just loved it. Through the eyes of a young African American girl named Cassie Logan we see the mounting racial tensions in a small Mississippi community in the 1930s. With her brothers, parents, and grandmother, she lives on a small farm that her family has owned for years.

I love the richness and diversely of the characters throughout the book. We see things from Cassie's point of view but we get to meet Jeremy, a young white boy who loves the Logan family and just wants to be part of it. We see his sister, who is naïve about her actions, a clear product of the prejudiced world in which she was raised. We see Cassie’s hothead Uncle Hammer and the damage that his attitude can have by escalating an already terrible state. We see the hopelessness of the sharecropper’s plight as they try to fight peaceably against the discrimination they are facing. We see Mr. Jamison who tries to stand up for them against the fellow white neighbors and we see the risk he’s willing to take. Each person plays their part, however small, in the fight against injustice.

The characters of T.J. and Stacey were particularly powerful. Stacey is in the midst of becoming a man and must learn how to deal with the anger and frustration he feels. T.J. is making the wrong decisions in life, but you’re left hoping he learns his lesson before it’s too late. I also loved the strength and courage of Cassie’s mother. She raises her children to have self-respect and quietly stands her ground as a teacher in the local school.

I can't believe I missed this book when I was younger. Although I went back and found a copy of another book that I loved when I was in grade school, called “Mississippi Bridge” and realize that not only is it by the same author, it's about the same characters!

I feel like this book would perfectly as a companion piece with To Kill a Mockingbird. It deals with the same issues in a similar time frame, but shows them from the opposite culture’s point of view. Cassie’s experience mirrors Scout’s, while Stacey’s mirrors Jem’s. The contrasting experiences would provide a great opportunity to give the issue more depth for students.

BOTTOM LINE: I loved it. The wonderfully written, diverse characters were empathetic and complex and made the book a must for my young adult keeper shelf in my library. ( )
  bookworm12 | Apr 7, 2015 |
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry
Have you been a slave and been treated like dirt? Well Cassie has , the year was 1933 in rural Mississippi. Cassie Logan - The narrator and protagonist. Cassie is the second-oldest Logan child. She has a fiery temper like her Uncle Hammer. Also, she is very naive concerning the facts of racism.
Little Man (Clayton Chester Logan) - A meticulously neat first-grader, Little Man is the youngest of the Logan children.
Stacey Logan - A thirteen-year-old boy, Stacey is the oldest of the Logan children. He is part-adult, part-child.
Christopher-John - A cheerful seven-year-old, Christopher-John is the second youngest of the Logan children. He is timid.
Papa (David Logan) - Cassie’s father. He values his independence highly, leaving to work on the railroad in order not to lose ownership of Logan land.
Mama (Mary Logan) - Cassie’s mother, a schoolteacher.
Uncle Hammer - Papa’s brother, Hammer lives in Chicago. He has a short temper.
Big Ma (Caroline Logan) - Papa’s mother. A woman of sixty, she runs the Logan farm.
T. J. Avery - A trouble-making friend of Stacey's. The Aeries are sharecroppers on Granger land. T. J. has a younger brother named Claude.
Jeremy Simms - A white boy who is often beaten for walking to school with and associating with the Logan children. His sister is Lillian Jean, who is often rude to Cassie. He has two big brothers, Melvin and R. W., who use T. J. pretending they are his friend.
Lillian Jean Simms - A prissy seventh grader.
Melvin and R. W. Simms - The older Simms brothers make trouble. They pretend to befriend T. J., but make fun of him behind his back.
L. T. Morrison - A big, burly man with streaks of white hair who comes to work on the Logan farm.
Mr. Jamison - A local lawyer; a white man. His forefathers bought land from Harlan Granger during the reconstruction, and sold some of it to the Logan family. Mr. Jamison is very sympathetic to the plight of the black community.
The Wallace Family (Caleb, Dewberry, etc.) - The Wallace family runs a general store on Harlan Granger's land. They are violent, brutal people.
Harlan Granger - A rich plantation owner who is anxious to buy back the Logan's land. Here are the characters of the story.

The author is Mildred D. Taylor and this what she look like. She won the John Newberry Medal, More. She was born September 13, 1943(at age 71), in Jackson, MS. She graduated from the University of Toledo in 1965. Ms. Mildred married a man by the name of Howard Millhouse. I can recommend this book to people who were being treated like a slave and who are ages 10 and up. ( )
  Zhyarin02 | Feb 4, 2015 |
Valuable insight into what racism was like in the 1930s. The characters and their motivations were fleshed out well. Interesting twist at the end. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
Roll of thunder hear my cry

This book is about a family that lived in Mississippi. They owned a lot of land. There were the Wallace’s who were mean white people. There family was big. Papa sent Mr. Morrison to watch all of his family. There was a guy named T.J who took the wrong side of the road. And was blamed for stealing a gun. Papa went down to the land and set a fire so that T.J would not get hurt anymore. In the end, everything turned out great and it did not have to end in violence.

We read this book in my 7th grade LA class. I enjoyed reading it. My favorite part was when Papa set a distraction to make them stop hitting T.J... I loved this book. Everybody should read this. The only part I did not like was when they cursed at the African Americans. I encourage all readers to read this book.
added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editlibrarything.com, Dawson.Beshears

To the memory of my beloved father, who lived many adventures of the boy Stacey and who was in essence the man David.
"Little Man, would you come on?"
As moronic rolls of laughter and cries of 'Nigger! Nigger! Mud eater!" wafted from the open windows, Little Man threw his mudball, missing the wheels by several feet. Then, totally dismayed by what happened, he buried his face in his hands and cried.
For him to believe that he is better than we are makes him think he's important, simply because he's white.
Baby, we have not choice of what color we're born or what our parents are or whether we're rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we're here.
Roll of Thunder
beat me down
But I ain't
gonna let him
Turn me' round

Although the Civil War ended, racial discrimination is still a part of the culture in the South, especially in Mississippi. The story is about the Logan's determination to stand up against prejudice amidst opposition: night riders, burnings, and lynchings. The Logans even face the possibility of losing their source of independence: the land that they own.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142401129, Paperback)

In all Mildred D. Taylor's unforgettable novels she recounts "not only the joy of growing up in a large and supportive family, but my own feelings of being faced with segregation and bigotry." Her Newbery Medal-winning Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry tells the story of one African American family, fighting to stay together and strong in the face of brutal racist attacks, illness, poverty, and betrayal in the Deep South of the 1930s. Nine-year-old Cassie Logan, growing up protected by her loving family, has never had reason to suspect that any white person could consider her inferior or wish her harm. But during the course of one devastating year when her community begins to be ripped apart by angry night riders threatening African Americans, she and her three brothers come to understand why the land they own means so much to their Papa. "Look out there, Cassie girl. All that belongs to you. You ain't never had to live on nobody's place but your own and long as I live and the family survives, you'll never have to. That's important. You may not understand that now but one day you will. Then you'll see."

Twenty-five years after it was first published, this special anniversary edition of the classic strikes as deep and powerful a note as ever. Taylor's vivid portrayal of ugly racism and the poignancy of Cassie's bewilderment and gradual toughening against social injustice and the men and women who perpetuate it, will remain with readers forever. Two award-winning sequels, Let the Circle Be Unbroken and The Road to Memphis, and a long-awaited prequel, The Land, continue the profoundly moving tale of the Logan family. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

A black family living in Mississippi during the Depression of the 1930s is faced with prejudice and discrimination which its children do not understand.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140371745, 0141333340

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,742,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible