Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D.…

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (1976)

by Mildred D. Taylor

5,332309823 (3.93)1 / 120
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Sounder by William H. Armstrong (kaledrina)

Boy does this book bring back memories. I remember reading it in school! I liked this book for many reasons but the obvious one is the message of the story. (I’ll tell you at the end). However the language used showed readers what that time period was like then and before. They even told the reader, "The Wallaces did that, children. They poured kerosene over Mr. Berry and his nephews and lit them afire." Its crazy to see what life was like for these people and the author does a great job showing it.
“During slavery there was some farms that mated folks like animals to produce more slaves. Breeding slaves brought a lot of money for them slave owners, ‘specially after the government said they couldn’t bring no more slaves from Africa, and they produced all kinds of slaves to sell on the block. And folks with enough money, white men and even free black men, could buy ‘zactly what they wanted. My folks was bred for strength like they folks and they grand folks ‘fore ‘em. Didn’t matter none what they thought ‘bout the idea. Didn’t nobody care.”
I love historical fiction and this book shows the civil right. The author does justice by the time period and allows the reader to see what it was like for African Americans during these rough times. The point of view is through a young girl named Cassie. This makes the book really relatable for children. She is so innocent and you can see that throughout. The message to this story is that you shouldn’t treat anyone any other way then the way you want to be treated. And that you may need someone to help that you mistreated!
  JordanMyers | Nov 19, 2014 |
Summary-This is Cassie Logan's story about living during the Depression is Mississippi. The year that is portrayed, her whole community is threatened and shredded apart. She may not understand now, but she learns about why the land that her family owns is so crucial and important to them.
Personal Reaction-This book truly shows the inner pride and struggle that African Americans faced. This had quite an emotional impact on me and if you haven't read this book yet, I highly recommend you do, and introduce is to your kids.
Classroom Extension-A great time for a brief history lesson and overall discussion about racism, bullying and looking at the world from different perspectives.
  sarah_desrosier | Nov 13, 2014 |
From Amazon: Set in Mississippi at the height of the Depression, this is the story of one family's struggle to maintain their integrity, pride, and independence in the face of racism and social injustice. And it is also Cassie's story—Cassie Logan, an independent girl who discovers over the course of an important year why having land of their own is so crucial to the Logan family, even as she learns to draw strength from her own sense of dignity and self-respect. ( )
  Ludmila.Smirnova | Aug 21, 2014 |
Although they endure many racial difficulties, the Logan family work hard to keep there farmland. Being young black kids in the midst of the Great depression, the kids have to learn why they have to go through being hated by others. Throughout the book, Cassie, and the other Logan kids, learn dignity and self-respect during their trying times.
  alcrumpler | Jul 29, 2014 |
In this first book of a series, Taylor takes an in depth look at the racial injustices Cassie's family faces. It begins with hand me down books from the nearby white school and concludes with Cassie learning a valuable lesson about the differences in society between the races and what problems they can cause. This is a very important lesson for today's children to learn as well, and it is taught in my 6th grade class every year. Extension actiivties i include in lesson plans involve creating a timeline of events not only from the book but real life things that happened during the time. We also look at a powerpoint of pictures to shed some light on the time so that the children can better appreciate actions like giving the coat away, or receiving a book for Christmas. ( )
  hellwanger | Jul 7, 2014 |
Roll of thunder hear my cry

This book is about a family that lived in Mississippi. They owned a lot of land. There were the Wallace’s who were mean white people. There family was big. Papa sent Mr. Morrison to watch all of his family. There was a guy named T.J who took the wrong side of the road. And was blamed for stealing a gun. Papa went down to the land and set a fire so that T.J would not get hurt anymore. In the end, everything turned out great and it did not have to end in violence.

We read this book in my 7th grade LA class. I enjoyed reading it. My favorite part was when Papa set a distraction to make them stop hitting T.J... I loved this book. Everybody should read this. The only part I did not like was when they cursed at the African Americans. I encourage all readers to read this book.
added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editlibrarything.com, Dawson.Beshears

To the memory of my beloved father, who lived many adventures of the boy Stacey and who was in essence the man David.
"Little Man, would you come on?"
As moronic rolls of laughter and cries of 'Nigger! Nigger! Mud eater!" wafted from the open windows, Little Man threw his mudball, missing the wheels by several feet. Then, totally dismayed by what happened, he buried his face in his hands and cried.
For him to believe that he is better than we are makes him think he's important, simply because he's white.
Baby, we have not choice of what color we're born or what our parents are or whether we're rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we're here.
Roll of Thunder
beat me down
But I ain't
gonna let him
Turn me' round

Although the Civil War ended, racial discrimination is still a part of the culture in the South, especially in Mississippi. The story is about the Logan's determination to stand up against prejudice amidst opposition: night riders, burnings, and lynchings. The Logans even face the possibility of losing their source of independence: the land that they own.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142401129, Paperback)

In all Mildred D. Taylor's unforgettable novels she recounts "not only the joy of growing up in a large and supportive family, but my own feelings of being faced with segregation and bigotry." Her Newbery Medal-winning Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry tells the story of one African American family, fighting to stay together and strong in the face of brutal racist attacks, illness, poverty, and betrayal in the Deep South of the 1930s. Nine-year-old Cassie Logan, growing up protected by her loving family, has never had reason to suspect that any white person could consider her inferior or wish her harm. But during the course of one devastating year when her community begins to be ripped apart by angry night riders threatening African Americans, she and her three brothers come to understand why the land they own means so much to their Papa. "Look out there, Cassie girl. All that belongs to you. You ain't never had to live on nobody's place but your own and long as I live and the family survives, you'll never have to. That's important. You may not understand that now but one day you will. Then you'll see."

Twenty-five years after it was first published, this special anniversary edition of the classic strikes as deep and powerful a note as ever. Taylor's vivid portrayal of ugly racism and the poignancy of Cassie's bewilderment and gradual toughening against social injustice and the men and women who perpetuate it, will remain with readers forever. Two award-winning sequels, Let the Circle Be Unbroken and The Road to Memphis, and a long-awaited prequel, The Land, continue the profoundly moving tale of the Logan family. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

A black family living in Mississippi during the Depression of the 1930s is faced with prejudice and discrimination which its children do not understand.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140371745, 0141333340

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,033,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible