Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D.…

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (1976)

by Mildred D. Taylor

Series: Roll of Thunder (1)

6,411338600 (3.93)1 / 152
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (CurrerBell)
    Sounder by William H. Armstrong (kaledrina)

This book is about slavery. I used to read this book in school, and it is interesting to read. The reading level for this book is fifth and sixth grade.
  ShaneKadrmas | May 5, 2017 |
The novel Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry is set during the time of Jim Crow Laws. It is centered around an African American Family that is struggling to hold onto what little piece of land that belongs to them. The novel teaches humility, courage, the bond between a family, and the ability to overcome despite what circumstances are in front of you. ( )
  tlashayvance | Apr 28, 2017 |
I think the moral of this story is no matter who or what is telling you that you can't do something, there is always a way to do it. The book delves into a time period when it was hard for an African American family to become successful. Mama, Papa and Big Ma work hard to raise children that are respectful and responsible. They show the kids to stand up for their people specifically when Papa starts the fire to distract from the lynching. ( )
  kkrume1 | Apr 5, 2017 |
Having studied this one at school I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it but set myself the challenge. I had fairly good memories, which is saying something because I hated English Literature and was pretty rubbish too. Anyway, it exceeded expectations and I can see why this book won awards. It is excellently written and covers a very difficult subject by making it a personal story. I remember now that this was eye-opening to me as a teenager. I grew up in a small English town and had only experienced racism in people's comments about those not present. The ugly actions displayed in the book may be far removed from 21st Century Britain, but many of the root beliefs of superiority persist, and dare I say it, seem to be becoming more acceptable in these days of Britain First, UKIP, and the EU referendum. It is not a fun or happy book, but well worth the read for teenagers or adults. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Jun 3, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. It felt very real. Fiction or no, the events in this book could actually have happened. I liked Cassie, though I didn't like everything that she did. The ending was stressful as well. Books need to have a climax, and then wrap up. This book had a climax, and a good one at that, but the wrap up was to short, and was not very satisfying. We're left wondering what will happen to T.J., and if the Logans will get to keep their land, and that is annoying. I also would have enjoyed something more with Jeremy Simms. He didn't have the racism and the meanness of the rest of his family, but Cassie's father tells Stacey not to bother being friends with him because he'll eventually become like his father. This isn't fair since Jeremy doesn't like his father, and doesn't get along with his family. I think there is something more to the fact that he sleeps in a tree, something to do with the unpleasantness of his family, but this wasn't addressed in the book. Hopefully it will be in the sequels, but it's still a bit disappointing because this book could almost stand alone, and its just a few little things that weren't addressed well at the end that messes that up. I still really enjoyed the book, but the ending really could've been done better. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jun 1, 2016 |
Roll of thunder hear my cry

This book is about a family that lived in Mississippi. They owned a lot of land. There were the Wallace’s who were mean white people. There family was big. Papa sent Mr. Morrison to watch all of his family. There was a guy named T.J who took the wrong side of the road. And was blamed for stealing a gun. Papa went down to the land and set a fire so that T.J would not get hurt anymore. In the end, everything turned out great and it did not have to end in violence.

We read this book in my 7th grade LA class. I enjoyed reading it. My favorite part was when Papa set a distraction to make them stop hitting T.J... I loved this book. Everybody should read this. The only part I did not like was when they cursed at the African Americans. I encourage all readers to read this book.
added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editlibrarything.com, Dawson.Beshears

Mildred D. Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pinkney, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my beloved father, who lived many adventures of the boy Stacey and who was in essence the man David.
"Little Man, would you come on?"
As moronic rolls of laughter and cries of 'Nigger! Nigger! Mud eater!" wafted from the open windows, Little Man threw his mudball, missing the wheels by several feet. Then, totally dismayed by what happened, he buried his face in his hands and cried.
For him to believe that he is better than we are makes him think he's important, simply because he's white.
Baby, we have not choice of what color we're born or what our parents are or whether we're rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we're here.
Roll of Thunder
beat me down
But I ain't
gonna let him
Turn me' round

Although the Civil War ended, racial discrimination is still a part of the culture in the South, especially in Mississippi. The story is about the Logan's determination to stand up against prejudice amidst opposition: night riders, burnings, and lynchings. The Logans even face the possibility of losing their source of independence: the land that they own.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142401129, Paperback)

In all Mildred D. Taylor's unforgettable novels she recounts "not only the joy of growing up in a large and supportive family, but my own feelings of being faced with segregation and bigotry." Her Newbery Medal-winning Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry tells the story of one African American family, fighting to stay together and strong in the face of brutal racist attacks, illness, poverty, and betrayal in the Deep South of the 1930s. Nine-year-old Cassie Logan, growing up protected by her loving family, has never had reason to suspect that any white person could consider her inferior or wish her harm. But during the course of one devastating year when her community begins to be ripped apart by angry night riders threatening African Americans, she and her three brothers come to understand why the land they own means so much to their Papa. "Look out there, Cassie girl. All that belongs to you. You ain't never had to live on nobody's place but your own and long as I live and the family survives, you'll never have to. That's important. You may not understand that now but one day you will. Then you'll see."

Twenty-five years after it was first published, this special anniversary edition of the classic strikes as deep and powerful a note as ever. Taylor's vivid portrayal of ugly racism and the poignancy of Cassie's bewilderment and gradual toughening against social injustice and the men and women who perpetuate it, will remain with readers forever. Two award-winning sequels, Let the Circle Be Unbroken and The Road to Memphis, and a long-awaited prequel, The Land, continue the profoundly moving tale of the Logan family. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

A black family living in Mississippi during the Depression of the 1930s is faced with prejudice and discrimination which its children do not understand.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140371745, 0141333340

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,487,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible