Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D.…

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (1976)

by Mildred D. Taylor

Series: Roll of Thunder (1)

7,426347740 (3.94)1 / 162
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (CurrerBell)
    Sounder by William H. Armstrong (kaledrina)

This book would work well in a history lesson. Students can read this book and gather background information on the time period and setting of that time in history. As a part of an ongoing lesson students can learn about research projects by choosing a famous African American figure and write a research project. Students can also come together to brainstorm how life would be like today if discrimination was still occurring and we can come together as a class to make each of our fellow peers feel welcome and accepted. I would also use the poem written in chapter 11 to evaluate the elements of a poem and what it would take to make their own poems.
  lauren12345 | Apr 7, 2019 |
This book was a landmark book about racism and the daily life of Cassie and her African American family. Through this book, readers learn about the injustices that surrounded the families during the depression, but also the commonalities of all humans--love, friendship, the importance of family, and right and wrong. ( )
  bwheatley | Feb 19, 2019 |
Cassie and her family live on their family land in Mississippi during the Great Depression. Cassie has many experiences where she learns of the hardships of racism and social injustice. When their family's land is at risk of being lost and their well-being is dependent upon keeping their land, Cassie begins to see the importance of the family's independence, pride, and integrity. ( )
  Brianna.Andrea | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is a very interesting book that is set in the early 1930's. It is about an African American family that lives in the south and they own property. The mother is a teacher at an all African American school. They face racism from white Americans and see the struggles they have to deal with trying to live their life. ( )
  towsonspark23 | Dec 3, 2018 |
CATEGORY: REQUIRED

Cassie Logan is nine years old. She lives in Alabama with her mother and her brothers. It's her time to learn about racism in the deep south through a handful of hurtful experiences. Uncle Hammer is there to show her that it doesn't need to be the way it is and that she is not less than a white girl. Through Cassie, we see racism through a innocent lens and watch her grow up.

This book is phenomenal. It reminded me of Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird in that we see very adult situations while figuring them out thorough a child's eyes. The way that Mildred Taylor was able to demonstrate such a hard topic through such a lens is amazing. ( )
  haileyblatter | Nov 17, 2018 |
Roll of thunder hear my cry

This book is about a family that lived in Mississippi. They owned a lot of land. There were the Wallace’s who were mean white people. There family was big. Papa sent Mr. Morrison to watch all of his family. There was a guy named T.J who took the wrong side of the road. And was blamed for stealing a gun. Papa went down to the land and set a fire so that T.J would not get hurt anymore. In the end, everything turned out great and it did not have to end in violence.

We read this book in my 7th grade LA class. I enjoyed reading it. My favorite part was when Papa set a distraction to make them stop hitting T.J... I loved this book. Everybody should read this. The only part I did not like was when they cursed at the African Americans. I encourage all readers to read this book.
added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editlibrarything.com, Dawson.Beshears

Mildred D. Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pinkney, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my beloved father, who lived many adventures of the boy Stacey and who was in essence the man David.
"Little Man, would you come on?"
As moronic rolls of laughter and cries of 'Nigger! Nigger! Mud eater!" wafted from the open windows, Little Man threw his mudball, missing the wheels by several feet. Then, totally dismayed by what happened, he buried his face in his hands and cried.
For him to believe that he is better than we are makes him think he's important, simply because he's white.
Baby, we have not choice of what color we're born or what our parents are or whether we're rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we're here.
Roll of Thunder
beat me down
But I ain't
gonna let him
Turn me' round

Although the Civil War ended, racial discrimination is still a part of the culture in the South, especially in Mississippi. The story is about the Logan's determination to stand up against prejudice amidst opposition: night riders, burnings, and lynchings. The Logans even face the possibility of losing their source of independence: the land that they own.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142401129, Paperback)

In all Mildred D. Taylor's unforgettable novels she recounts "not only the joy of growing up in a large and supportive family, but my own feelings of being faced with segregation and bigotry." Her Newbery Medal-winning Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry tells the story of one African American family, fighting to stay together and strong in the face of brutal racist attacks, illness, poverty, and betrayal in the Deep South of the 1930s. Nine-year-old Cassie Logan, growing up protected by her loving family, has never had reason to suspect that any white person could consider her inferior or wish her harm. But during the course of one devastating year when her community begins to be ripped apart by angry night riders threatening African Americans, she and her three brothers come to understand why the land they own means so much to their Papa. "Look out there, Cassie girl. All that belongs to you. You ain't never had to live on nobody's place but your own and long as I live and the family survives, you'll never have to. That's important. You may not understand that now but one day you will. Then you'll see."

Twenty-five years after it was first published, this special anniversary edition of the classic strikes as deep and powerful a note as ever. Taylor's vivid portrayal of ugly racism and the poignancy of Cassie's bewilderment and gradual toughening against social injustice and the men and women who perpetuate it, will remain with readers forever. Two award-winning sequels, Let the Circle Be Unbroken and The Road to Memphis, and a long-awaited prequel, The Land, continue the profoundly moving tale of the Logan family. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

The story of one African American family fighting to stay together and strong in the face of brutal racist attacks, illness, poverty, and betrayal in the Deep South of the 1930s.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140371745, 0141333340

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,117,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible