The Mighty Queens of Freeville: A Mother, a…

The Mighty Queens of Freeville: A Mother, a Daughter, and the Town That… (2009)

by Amy Dickinson

English (65)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  All (67)
Written by the author of "Ask Amy", a syndicated column. This is a pleasant and honest book about a single mother and her daughter. Secondarily, it's about her family of mostly women. An optimistic, unvarnished story of the ups and downs of life for this mother and child and the family dynamics. Light humor. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
I received this book as an Advanced Reader copy and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. I don't usually like memoirs, but I found the book very funny and hard to put down.

Amy Dickinson was left by her husband when her daughter was very young while they were living in London. She moved back to Washington, D.C., but kept getting pulled back to the small town of Freeville, where she grew up and was raised by a family of strong women. ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
While this book is almost more a collection of short stories than a memoir I still enjoyed it. Since Freeville is close to my hometown I thought I would be able to relate to Dickinson's story but very little of the book actually takes place there. Dickinson does tell her story well though and the book is a good summer read. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Quick interesting read but nothing extraordinary. We follow Amy and her daughter through about 20 years of life and Amy's relationships with her daughter, her hometown, relatives and jobs and the trials and tribulations all of that involves. It was a book club read or I probably would not have finished it. ( )
  THEPRINCESS | Mar 2, 2011 |
Amy Dickinson married her college sweetheart, became a mom and was happily settled in an apartment in New York City. After a move to London, it became apparent that her traveling husband was not going to stick around. She and her young daughter, Emily, moved home to Freeville, NY, to be near her extended family until she could decide on the direction her life would take. Ms Dickinson has worked as a Time Magazine columnist writing about the family, for NPR's All Things Considered and is currently writing an advice column as Ann Landers' replacement. The book is a humorous account of her life since her divorce. ( )
  Suzieqkc | Sep 16, 2010 |
For my family, and for the citizens of my hometown who have graced my life

In The Mighty Queens of Freeville, Amy Dickinson, syndicated advice columnist and weekly National Public Radio celeb, shares her remarkable story--a tale of Amy and her daughter and the people who helped raise them after Amy found herself a reluctant single parent.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

2 editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 1401322859, 1401310125

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,259,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible