Witch World (Witch World : Estcarp Cycle No.…

Witch World (Witch World : Estcarp Cycle No. 1) (original 1963; edition 1963)

by Andre Norton (Author), Harry Bennett (Illustrator)

Member:Phiala
Title:Witch World (Witch World : Estcarp Cycle No. 1)
Authors:Andre Norton (Author)
Other authors:Harry Bennett (Illustrator)
Info:Ace Books (1963), Edition: First Edition, 222 pages
Collections:PB Fiction

Witch World by Andre Norton (1963)

This book (and perhaps the series) is pretty dated. Maybe that's why it just came across as poor SF and didn't appeal at all as a fantasy. In all fairness, the storyline is pretty solid, but I was looking for more of a wizardly world so I couldn't find much to keep me captivated. Eventually it became a DNF, which is fairly rare for me. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Sep 19, 2018 |
I thought I'd read this as a kid, and remembered nothing except that it wasn't as witchy as I'd been hoping, and that it involved a family who went to an alien planet. Upon re-reading it, I'm wondering if my memory is terrible, or I'm recalling the wrong book, as this is about a single man who essentially travels to another dimension. And, it's kind of boring. Not horrible enough for 1 star, just generically dull. (I'm a bit tired of the man-goes-to-place-and-instantly-connects-with-folks-in-power ... if someone ended up in our world, the chance that they'd become chummy right away with Bill Gates or Donald Trump (or Justin Trudeau or Shania Twain) is fairly unlikely ...)

People have their weird names, they're fighting some enemy from some place, yada yada yada, and I keep thinking "But Straub's The Screaming Staircase was so much fun, and I haven't read the new Naomi Novik novel yet, so why am I wasting my time on this one?"

Oh, and apparently it was written in the 60s, and is apparently mildly feminist in that there are women who do more than stand, serve mead, or scream. But other than that, it screams 1920s-30s to me, it's sword and sorcery and John Carter or any of those interchangeable swashbuckling manly heroes of the pulp fiction age.

So I stopped re-reading (or reading, depending on my memory) at the 25% mark. I'm getting better about stopping books since my father died this year and reminded me Life is Short. On the off-chance that I run out of better books and am still alive, I can always return to the ones left unfinished--but I think we both know that's never going to happen.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
I always root for the underdog and in Witch World the heroes are misfits. Simon Tregarth is ex-military, a colonel who has been framed. He is on the run and needs to disappear quickly. Enter Dr. Jorge Petronius who knows exactly where to hide out hero...in the witch world of Estcarp. Petronius has a special stone he calls the Siege Perilous that can judge a man's worth and then send him to the world best suited for his soul. Simon was sent to a medieval land where its inhabitants are at battle; perfect for a military man. The action picks up from there. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Apr 3, 2018 |
Norton writes pretty good SF. This one was supposed to be one of her best. It was pretty good but is it SF or just Fantasy. If you like fantasy it may be for you. I was hoping for SF. ( )
  ikeman100 | May 7, 2017 |

Pound, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straßl, LoreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, HughPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zinoni, DelioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The rain was a slantwise curtain across the dingy street, washing soot from city walls, the taste of it metallic on the lips of the tall, thin man who walked with a loping stride close to the buildings, watching the mouths of doorways, the gaps of alleys with a narrow-eyed intentness.
Dr. Jorge Petronious was very well known throughout that half-world where Tregarth had lived for several violent years. If you were 'hot' and you were also lucky enough to be in funds you went to Petronious. Those who did were never found thereafter, either by the law, or by the vengeance of their fellows.

The novel that introduced the "Witch World". Simon Tregarth is sent to a world with low- and high-tech cultures struggling, using technology, magic, and war, to change civilization.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441897088, Mass Market Paperback)

Andre Norton enthralled readers for decades with thrilling tales of people challenged to the limits of their endurance in epic battles of good against evil. None are more memorable than her Witch World novels. Simon Tregarth, a man from our own world, escapes his doom through the gates to the Witch World. There he aids the witch Jaelithe's escape from the hounds of Alizon, only to find himself embroiled in a deeper war against an even deadlier foe: the Kolder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

Simon Tregarth, a man from our own world, escapes his doom through the gates to the Witch World. There he aids the witch Jaelithe's escape from the hounds of Alizon, only to find himself embroiled in a deeper war against an even deadlier foe: the Kolder.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,428,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible