Buffalo Gal by Laura Pedersen

Buffalo Gal (edition 2008)

by Laura Pedersen

Collections:Your library, Review copies, donated/unshelved
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read, nonfiction, memoir, review copy, ARC, 2009review

Buffalo Gal by Laura Pedersen

I laughed through all three of Laura Pedersen’s Hallie Palmer novels, centered on a singular young woman and her oddball life, family and hometown. Little did I know at the time that her heroine was rooted not in Ms. Pedersen’s imagination but in her own decidedly quirky upbringing.

Buffalo Gal is a memoir that begins with Laura Pedersen’s birth Buffalo NY in 1965 and ends as she nears her adult years her mom and dad’s approach to parenting is best described aslaissez faire. So it’s no wonder Ms. Pedersen, an only child, grew up with a different, a bit skewed take on the world around her.

She inherited a financial/entrepreneurial gene from her grandmother and discovered in her early teens that she loved the stock market (and, no surprise, gambling). After that Ms. Pedersen was on her way to becoming the youngest person to have a seat on the American Stock Exchange – only one piece of her most interesting life.

I don’t think it’s in Laura Pedersen’s DNA to be anything but funny. Her memoir is insightful; her writing crackles; her humor, though biting at times, is essentially kind and mostly un-cynical. In her hands, the city of Buffalo becomes an important character, not just part of the scenery. Laura Pedersen also brings the 1970s to life for readers to the point I felt I was reading social history and not a memoir (and that’s definitely not a criticism). If it is possible to write a memoir that is not overly self-centered, Laura Pedersen has done it. (It’s so good, I’m suggesting Buffalo Gal for my non-fiction readers’ group.)

By Diana. First published in the Cozy Library January 2, 2009.
  NewsieQ | Mar 27, 2009 |
...Pedersen is roughly my age (three weeks and one day older than my younger sister, actually), and we both grew up in the Northeast, although she somewhat convincingly argues that Buffalo, NY has more in common with Midwestern cities. She clearly remains fond of her hometown, and is aware of how its history has influenced her own. This memoir isn't just her personal story - it's also one of the town and times in which she grew up.

The mid-sixties through the early eighties were an odd time to be a kid, in some ways. The world was changing quickly, and we were surrounded by technology and issues that our parents wouldn't have even imagined when they were our age, but we were too young to experience it all first-hand - we were being kids, and we may have been the last generation to be kids before the computer revolution. I recognized many of the pop-cultural touchstones Pedersen mentions...

READ THE REST: http://www.3rsblog.com/2009/01/sunday-book-talk-buffalo-gal-by-laura.html ( )
  Florinda | Jan 26, 2009 |
  schmadeke | Oct 23, 2008 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible