The Stray by Dick King-Smith

The Stray

by Dick King-Smith

1082111,760 (3.95)1 / 3

I have a special attachment to this book. I bought it on holiday not long after it came out and read it obsessively. I'm not sure WHY I liked it so particularly, though it is good - the story's pretty simple, but it has some lovely little touches, like talking about Henny trying fruit gums for the first time.

Anyway, I reread it yesterday, after spending months online trying to find out what it was called. It's still utterly charming. It's completely divorced from reality, of course, but I tend to like my children's lit just that. Some people might find it a bit too cute and I understand that, but sometimes everyone needs to read a simple story about an old lady and a dog with a happy ending. After a tough few months, I certainly do!

Please read this to your children, it is worth it. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |

Please read this to your children, it is worth it. ( )
  heterocephalusglaber | Apr 26, 2013 |

Now in Knopf Paperback, from the author of Babe: The Gallant Pig, comes the touching story of a "stray" old woman's amusing antics and the large, loving family that adopts her.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:55 -0400)

When seventy-five-year-old Henny Hickathrift runs away from the old people's home, she meets five children and their parents who welcome her into their family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible