The Myth Hunters by Christopher Golden

The Myth Hunters

by Christopher Golden

Series: The Veil (1)

Plot wise, this reminds me quite a bit of Gaiman's Neverwhere but is much darker.

I am very glad that I have read enough world mythology to get at least who the main characters are. Though I admit that the minor characters I am clueless about. ( )
  Melanti | Mar 30, 2013 |
Don't be confused by the title. This is not about people hunting myths, it is about a normal person from 'our' world who crossed the veil into faerie. The creatures of faerie are being hunted by something seeking to wipe them out for an unknown reason. Worse, they can sometimes cross into our world and kill people here too. Very creative, somewhat original and well written. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 17, 2009 |
At first I wasn't sure why the book won a Bram Stoker Award. While it was an enjoyable read, the first section read more like dark fantasy than horror. Then the original sandman escaped and it was clear why the book is considered horror rather than dark fantasy and why the book won awards. In places it reminded me a little of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series.

I can't quite put my finger on what about the writing makes it click for me, but something does. I liked the characters and I found the plot engaging, if unoriginal. ( )
  schnaucl | Oct 4, 2007 |
Not too bad. A wealthy lawyer is a somewhat unwitting participant in a wedding to be held tomorrow, when Jack Frost crashes through his window.

He gets drawn into their Border world, and a conflict between those beings able to cross between too worlds and the Hunters that are out to destroy them. The lawyer's sister also seems to have a role to play.

Tense and interesting enough to want to read the next one.

http://superprose.blogspot.com/2007/02/veil-1-myth-hunters.html ( )
1 vote bluetyson | Feb 20, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587781, Mass Market Paperback)

In this enthralling new tale from bestselling author Christopher Golden, one man is drawn into a realm just across the veil from our own, where every captivating myth and fairy tale is true, the vanished exist–and every fear is founded….

Yielding to his father's wishes, Oliver Bascombe abandoned his dream of being an actor and joined the family law firm. Now he will marry a lovely young woman bearing the Bascombe stamp of approval. But on the eve of his wedding, a blizzard sweeps in–bringing with it an icy legend who calls into question everything Oliver believes about the world and his place in it….

Pursued by a murderous creature who heeds no boundaries, Jack Frost needs Oliver's help to save both himself and his world–an alternate reality slowly being displaced by our own. To help him, Oliver Bascombe, attorney-at-law, will have to become Oliver Bascombe, adventurer, hero–and hunted. So begins a magnificent journey where he straddles two realities…and where, even amid danger, Oliver finds freedom for the very first time.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:46 -0400)

"Yielding to his father's wishes, Oliver Bascombe abandoned his dream of being an actor and joined the family law firm. Now he will marry a lovely young woman bearing the Bascombe stamp of approval. But on the eve of his wedding, a blizzard sweeps in - bringing with it an icy legend who calls into question everything Oliver believes about the world and his place in it ..." "Pursued by a murderous creature who heeds no boundaries, Jack Frost needs Oliver's help to save both himself and his world - an alternate reality slowly being displaced by our own. To help him, Oliver Bascombe, attorney-at-law, will have to become Oliver Bascombe, adventurer, hero - and hunted. So begins a magnificent journey where he straddles two realities ... and where, even amid danger, Oliver finds freedom for the very first time."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,258,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible