Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Warbreaker

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Nalthis (1), Cosmere (5)

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another book with phenomenal world-building and complex plot told through the points-of-view of interconnected characters.
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (infiniteletters)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (kgodey)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (Mav.Weirdo)
    The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks (ajwseven)
    Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan (infiniteletters)
    Progeny by R. T. Kaelin (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books demonstrate wonderful world-building and a unique system of magic.
    The Charmed Sphere by Catherine Asaro (infiniteletters)

First published at Booking in Heels.

I loved this book. I possibly even prefer it to the Mistborn series, although I admit that my view may just be skewed by how much I disliked the ending.

Warbreaker has a completely different system of magic than the Mistborn books - instead of drawing power from previously ingested metals, those with the requisite ability are able to pull colour out of fabric to instruct inanimate objects to do their bidding. It's slightly more complicated than that (involving the creation of Lifeless soldiers, the amount of power being dependent on how many Breaths a person has, etc etc), but that's the gist. It was an interesting concept that is explained in wonderful detail, but not so much as to become overwhelming. My favourite thing about Brandon Sanderson's books is how intricate and evolved the magic systems he creates are. I have no idea where his ideas come from or how much time they take to flesh out, but they're amazing.

I particularly appreciated that when The Person In Question obtains new magical ability, she is not suddenly an expert, contrary to the Mistborn series and honestly 85% of all fantasy novels I've ever read. That Person is a bit crap with magic to begin with and it honestly takes them a while to get to grips with it. I see that as normal and it adds a little realism to the whole concept. Nothing annoys me more than YES, I HAVE POWERS AND SUDDENLY I AM THE MOST POWERFUL MISTBORN PERSON EVER. It's done well and it was notable for it.

I really enjoy the tone of Brandon Sanderson's writing. It has a Proper Fantasy Sound - it's slightly formal with lengthy descriptions and lots of dialogue, but offset by some pithy conversations and unique magical systems. It's really engrossing and the books are difficult to put down. He's very, very skilled, no doubt about it.

However, if you read my Mistborn review, you'll know that my primary issue with those books was the characterisation. The characters just didn't feel real and had a habit of altering their personalities to fit whatever attribute was required of them at that time. Luckily, Warbreaker is much less guilty of that particular fault. Siri, one of the two protagonists, is quite likeable but, more importantly, is fairly consistent throughout. She's independent, but not obnoxiously so, and her decisions rang true to what I would reasonably expect from somebody with herpersonality.

Vivenna, Siri's sister, is a tad more irritating. She's quite preachy and holier-than-thou. I understand that she's meant to be those things, but it grated occasionally. The writing isn't quite as consistent with Vivenna - as in the Mistborn series, she does occasionally change on a whim to do whatever the plot requires, regardless as to whether it made sense or not. It's fine though and honestly, I probably only noticed it because I was looking out for it.

There was only one time where this chronic fault really got to me. There's a twist mid-way through the book, and it made so little sense with regard to what we had known of the characters' mannerisms and personalities, that I kept waiting for it to twist back in a sort of double bluff. It didn't, and it left me confused and irritated. If you've read Warbreaker and know what I'm rambling about, please talk to me about this!

Other than that, I loved Warbreaker. I can't tell if this is a standalone or part of a series, as the ending could have it going either way. If it's a series, then I will definitely read the next book, but if not, it was rounded off with an interesting conclusion and I'm happy with that too.

I'd really recommend this book, regardless of whether you've read Brandon Sanderson previously or not. The plot is interesting, the tone is lovely and the magic system is engrossing. One day I'll get over my irritation with the characterisation and these books will be perfect! ( )
  generalkala | Jun 21, 2017 |
2.5/5 ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
A great fantasy novel set in an interesting world and a creative magic system. The story is very captivating and I really enjoyed the intrigue of the gods, priests, and the relationship between nations. If you take away the magic, I still think this would still be a great book. The worldbuilidng is great, dialogue is well-written, and the characters are interesting. It is truly an all around well-written book that will have the pages turning constantly. ( )
  renbedell | Jun 1, 2017 |
An incredible story. This was originally available as a pdf online for free (in draft form). A friend recommended it to me, and I liked it so much I read the whole thing on the computer. It's not a short book, and the computer screen was not pleasant, but the story made it worthwhile. Now that it's available in print, I had to pick up a copy so that I can read it again. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
Oh. My. Goodness. Golly. Gosh. I absolutely loved this book so much I had to read it a second time, and I discovered even more things to love! I fell in love with each character, and then had my heart broken by many characters I thought were on the 'good' side. Even though I had already read it before, it was still an awful shock when certain characters turned out to be different than I had assumed. An awesome book full of plot twists, action scenes, and a truly brilliant 'brandon-sanderson' magic system. Despite having just read it, I'm already looking forward to picking it up again. ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |
After reading Warbreaker, it's readily apparent that Brandon Sanderson is an extremely talented author. The novel was a real page turner and was filled with wonderful characters and thoughtful original ideas.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Dominic Cilli (Nov 1, 2009)

Sanderson's prose falls into a nice rhythm that helps to move the action forward. Multifaceted characters and action of both the mystical and sword-fighting realms bring added excitement to a complex and creative read.

"Warbreaker" is an improvement on Sanderson's other work. And if he continues to follow along this path, fans of the Wheel of Time series will have nothing to worry about.
added by Katya0133 | editDeseret News, Jessica Harrison (Jun 14, 2009)

But the narrative is richer, spinning together hilarious dialogue, descriptive action sequences, and genuinely sweet romance.

The system of magic is also novel ... and demands far more of the characters' ingenuity, which in turn demands developing them--male and female, divine and mortal--to a far higher degree than one expects of much fantasy these days.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Roland Green (May 15, 2009)

Sanderson again demonstrates his capacity for handling large and complex themes while creating believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (May 15, 2009)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emily,
who said yes.
It's funny, Vasher thought, how many things begin with my getting thrown into prison.

By using "breath" and drawing upon the color in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong, reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the Warbreaker.… (more)

191 wanted1 free

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,162,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible