Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
1,581984,619 (4.1)198
Recently added byprivate library, Gluon, euoka, kthork, ariel.kirst, arcaedia, d00dlebug, tribalwolf, Katya0133, bibliothekla
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (infiniteletters)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another book with phenomenal world-building and complex plot told through the points-of-view of interconnected characters.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (kgodey)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (Mav.Weirdo)
    Talent Storm by Brian Terenna (Anonymous user)
    Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan (infiniteletters)
    Progeny by R. T. Kaelin (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books demonstrate wonderful world-building and a unique system of magic.
    The Charmed Sphere by Catherine Asaro (infiniteletters)

Sanderson fans have come to expect fascinating magic systems from his books and Warbreaker doesn't disappoint. However, I was even more impressed with the book's themes of perception and misjudgment, as almost every character turns out to be different from our first impressions of him or her. This might be my favorite Brandon Sanderson book yet. ( )
  Katya0133 | Nov 12, 2014 |
Another good book from this author. Not my favorite from him, but very good for a fantasy book. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I don't often read stand alone novels as I like good long series focusing on the same characters, but I gave this one a shot because it was by Brandon Sanderson. I'm so glad I did. This has such an interesting magic system, and a good plot, and interesting characters. I recommend it to any who love a good fantasy story, or those interested in creative magic systems. ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jun 27, 2014 |
Pretty good book. I loved the magic system. It seems that Brandon Sanderson keeps on coming up with these very intricate and elaborate magic systems and worlds. If I were a betting man, I would think, this book was in fact, intertwined with his other books (Mistborn Trilogy, Elantris, & Way of Kings Series). I hope he continues on with this too. The plot devices were pretty cool but the plot regarding the priests and scribes seemed predictable. Vasher was very interesting character and well written. Vivien was probably the one that evolved the most, and I was glad it didn't turn out to be a drama, Dostrayovsky-esque. ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
There were some flaws for me with Warbreaker -- like many other reviewers, I felt that the wrapping up at the end went way too fast -- but all in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've found that I like Brandon Sanderson's world-building a lot, no matter what he's doing: he seems to bring a flair to it, seems to be able to make it that bit different from the rest of the fantasy fare around. I wasn't sure anyone could pull off some of the stuff in Warbreaker, like the princesses whose hair changed colours with their mood -- it seemed like something right out of some kind of wish fulfillment fanfic, which generally doesn't do much for me. I mean, it's usually changing eye colour in those stories, but the super specialness applies.

The other thing is that Sanderson manages to keep things consistent. None of this felt like a deus ex machina, even when it kind of was: the various sacrifices, discoveries, etc, all seemed perfectly foreshadowed by the text. I didn't find all of it terribly surprising -- I figured out some people weren't as trustworthy as they seemed to the princesses, for example -- but I did enjoy it, and I felt it makes sense. The storytelling, too, works for me: it goes along at a great pace and kept me interested and going 'just one more chapter, just one more' again and again.

One thing I didn't like so much was Vivenna's character development. Or Siri's, in a way: I liked that Siri became capable, learned to value herself, learned what she could do. I wasn't enamoured of the way they basically swapped roles, though. And we spent an awful lot of time with Vivenna being self-important and self-righteous, neither of which are traits that appeal to me. I wasn't, in general, very attached to Vivenna and Vasher at all; their stories were necessary for the plot, but emotionally I didn't get attached. I suppose really, I was mostly attached to Lightsong and Llarimar: Lightsong's character development was something I really was interested in.

The ending wraps up extremely quickly, and leaves things wide open for another book, but the story itself is self-contained as well, which is rare enough in this time of trilogies (and trilogies of trilogies). I loved that it wrapped up within one book, leaving things open and uncertain in the future for the characters, but without leaving any big gaps. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | May 8, 2014 |
After reading Warbreaker, it's readily apparent that Brandon Sanderson is an extremely talented author. The novel was a real page turner and was filled with wonderful characters and thoughtful original ideas.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Dominic Cilli (Nov 1, 2009)

Sanderson's prose falls into a nice rhythm that helps to move the action forward. Multifaceted characters and action of both the mystical and sword-fighting realms bring added excitement to a complex and creative read.

"Warbreaker" is an improvement on Sanderson's other work. And if he continues to follow along this path, fans of the Wheel of Time series will have nothing to worry about.
added by Katya0133 | editDeseret News, Jessica Harrison (Jun 14, 2009)

But the narrative is richer, spinning together hilarious dialogue, descriptive action sequences, and genuinely sweet romance.

The system of magic is also novel ... and demands far more of the characters' ingenuity, which in turn demands developing them--male and female, divine and mortal--to a far higher degree than one expects of much fantasy these days.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Roland Green (May 15, 2009)

Sanderson again demonstrates his capacity for handling large and complex themes while creating believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (May 15, 2009)

For Emily,
who said yes.
It's funny, Vasher thought, how many things begin with my getting thrown into prison.

By using "breath" and drawing upon the color in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong, reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the Warbreaker.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,036,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible