Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:_Zoe_
Title:Warbreaker
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2010), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read, Permanent Collection
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read, fiction, fantasy, gods

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (infiniteletters)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another book with phenomenal world-building and complex plot told through the points-of-view of interconnected characters.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (Mav.Weirdo)
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (kgodey)
    Warprize / Warsworn / Warlord by Elizabeth Vaughan (infiniteletters)
    Progeny by R. T. Kaelin (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books demonstrate wonderful world-building and a unique system of magic.
    The Charmed Sphere by Catherine Asaro (infiniteletters)

Every time I read a Sanderson book, I have to re-decide which of his books is my favorite. Which is a very difficult thing to do, because all of his cosmere books are fantastic. However, I've come up with some solid arguments in favor of Warbreaker being my official favorite Brandon Sanderson novel.

1. It's awesome.

2. The characters. One of the only complaints I have about Sanderson's books is that each world has a very similar cast of characters. Sanderson is really good at writing interesting characters, true, but it bothers me a little when I can say something like, "Oh, Kaladin is the Kelsier of Roshar." I didn't really get that feeling with this book, though. The characters struggle with some of the same themes that Sanderson's characters face in other books, but they felt more like their own people rather than mirrors of others.

3. Sanderson knows how to write female characters. We see that talent put to good use in this book.

4. Lightsong.

5. Magic hair.

6. Lots of twists you don't see coming.

7. Another fascinating religion. I love the way Sanderson incorporates religion into all of his books, really, so maybe this shouldn't count in my Warbreaker argument.

With so many things done right in this book, I'm glad there's going to be a sequel. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 1, 2016 |
Read this together with my wife, and we both loved it. The magic system is fantastically unique and set in a renaissance world. Initially, I thought this was a standalone book, but it turns out there will be a sequel later titled "Nightblood", which is fantastic. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
I think it was an excellent premise, and I liked the way the POV changes throughout the story. The appendixes to each chapter, detailing what he was looking to do, is also wonderful, but I'd advise you to not read those until after the main story, because some of them do contain spoilers! I like the magic system here, and it doesn't seem to be as repetitive as the one in Mistborn, and the one is Way of Kings. Those two systems are too similar, but this one has a totally different feel to it. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable read! ( )
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
Oh, boy... Where to begin...
First off, Brandon Sanderson is definitely one of my favourite authors ever. i totally fell in love with the Mistborn trilogy (Mistborn being one of my favourite books ever) and Elantris. So, i know i'm a bit behind with this review, it's been out for a while, on top of being online as a free ebook before it's release.
Actually, i had this 3/4 of the way finished when my ebook got corrupted... so i waited for my library to get it (as i'm a poor broke soul who can't afford to pay for her books...) and continued to procrastinate finishing it. (yes... i know...)
And, of course, i now can say that i am an idiot for procrastinating because, of course, Sanderson's done it again.
This was fantastic.
The thing i love, simply, love about all of his books, are that all the characters are real and complex and likeable (even the bad guys, usually. but usually there are no set bad guys, because, you know, in real life there aren't either... they always think they're doing it for the greater good... or revenge... whichever works best.) It's almost as if there are no minor characters in any of his books, because each one is so real. There's never a flat character. I could probably describe, in detail, every single character with dialogue from the book. Even the one's that i started out indifferent to (like, say, Vasher?) i ended up loving by the end.

Actually there are so many elements that make this book (like all the others. lol) fantastic. I am such a huge fan of the way religion is incorporated into this book (as well as the way it is for all the others...) though, i have to say, in this aspect it wasn't my favourite (the religions in Mistborn are just jaw dropping in comparison.) but, even so, the religion in this book is pretty much the most important aspect of it. 'Returned' humans are worshipped as gods, even if they don't feel they're very 'godlike.'...

Siri, the youngest daughter of the small, modest kingdom Idris is sent in her older sisters stead to marry and provide an heir for the 'god king' of the kingdom Hallandren, a colourful, ostentatious kingdom - almost the reverse of Idris. When she gets there she finds a place of harsh politics and political unrest between the gods of Hallandren.
Meanwhile, her older sister, Vivenna, the one who should have been sent to marry the god king, ventures to the city in attempts to rescue her younger sister, whom she believes is hopefully in over her head.
The book also follows Lightsong, the charming, witty, and totally hopeless Returned who questions the way of life of the Returned and in turn questions his own godhood.

Of course, the book is much more complex. Full of inner plots and twists that make it a rich and wonderful story. The way Sanderson creates entire, completely believable worlds is so inspiring. Every book i've read that he's written has been this fantastically complex story full of politics, religion, the true nature of men, and the most ingenious magic systems ever.

Which leads me to the latest amazing magic system. Though, i am completely biased and favour Mistborn's magic system above all others (there is something about Allomancy that i just adore) i have to say that BioChramatic Breaths and Colours is totally and completely ingenious. In this book, Awakeners are the ones with the magic. Except the magic is breath. Each person is born with one breath, but Awakeners can have hundreds of breaths to reach each level of Heightening (each Heightening grants a different power, such as the 1st Heightening gives a person Aura Recognition - the ability to see others breaths, and the 3rd Heightening gives perfect Colour Recognition - the ability to distinguish even the most subtle changes in shades and hues.) Awakeners can use their breaths to awaken lifeless inanimate objects to do their bidding, they can also, however, animate corpses, creating the Lifeless.
Yes, it IS totally amazing.

I'm just, once again, in total and complete awe with what Sanderson has created. Warbreaker definitely has earned it's place among my favourite books, (along with all of Sanderson's other books ;) because this was simply fantastic.

But i have to say, once again, the one thing i can't stand about Sanderson books is the way he kills people off. You're reading and reading and suddenly BAM someone's dead and your reaction is 'wait. wha-a-a?' =)
10/10 stars. Without a doubt. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
After reading Warbreaker, it's readily apparent that Brandon Sanderson is an extremely talented author. The novel was a real page turner and was filled with wonderful characters and thoughtful original ideas.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Dominic Cilli (Nov 1, 2009)

Sanderson's prose falls into a nice rhythm that helps to move the action forward. Multifaceted characters and action of both the mystical and sword-fighting realms bring added excitement to a complex and creative read.

"Warbreaker" is an improvement on Sanderson's other work. And if he continues to follow along this path, fans of the Wheel of Time series will have nothing to worry about.
added by Katya0133 | editDeseret News, Jessica Harrison (Jun 14, 2009)

But the narrative is richer, spinning together hilarious dialogue, descriptive action sequences, and genuinely sweet romance.

The system of magic is also novel ... and demands far more of the characters' ingenuity, which in turn demands developing them--male and female, divine and mortal--to a far higher degree than one expects of much fantasy these days.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Roland Green (May 15, 2009)

Sanderson again demonstrates his capacity for handling large and complex themes while creating believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (May 15, 2009)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emily,
who said yes.
It's funny, Vasher thought, how many things begin with my getting thrown into prison.

By using "breath" and drawing upon the color in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong, reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the Warbreaker.… (more)

203 wanted1 free

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,256,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible