Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:_Zoe_
Title:Warbreaker
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2010), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read, Permanent Collection
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read, fiction, fantasy, gods

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another book with phenomenal world-building and complex plot told through the points-of-view of interconnected characters.
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (infiniteletters)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (Mav.Weirdo)
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (kgodey)
    Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan (infiniteletters)
    Progeny by R. T. Kaelin (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books demonstrate wonderful world-building and a unique system of magic.
    The Charmed Sphere by Catherine Asaro (infiniteletters)

Substance: Another well-thought out theory of magic, approaching technology, with logical foundations and reasonable extrapolations. Heroic heroes, and some repentant ones; villainous villains, and some surprises; lots of believable character development and political shenanigans. Sanderson understands people and lets them display their character rather than telling us about it. Major Moral of the Story - look inside the cover; or, as a particularly astute politician once said: Trust, but verify.
Style: Sanderson does not indulge in artificial suspense-makers to tell his story: no flashbacks (memories, yes); no back-stitches (the story proceeds chronologically); no forebodings (but an interesting use of foreseeing).
Caveats: Some infelicities of phrasing and foolish typos indicate an inordinate reliance on spell-checkers instead of copy editors.
(review on copy-2, 2010-01-22)
  librisissimo | Jul 3, 2016 |
Interesting idea using colour and breath as a basis for magic, just felt a little too much like concept over story.

In a world where some people return as better forms of themselves to be able to grant one healing, many use this second chance, where they are treated as gods to indulge themselves, until one day, almost like a compulsion they use this power. Above them is the God King, who is to marry, Vivienna from another kingdom is promised to him , she has been groomed for this from birth. Her father sends the unprepared Siri, this will change the world.

Somewhat predictable, entertaining though. I just felt like there was a better story lurking under more thought. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 16, 2016 |
I have always loved reading Warbreaker, it has the real distinction of relying on characters to drive the plot in comparison to the many fantasy books out there relying on epic battles to yank along a story line. However, previously I've always come away from it disinhearted by the ending. So much potential just waiting in the wings! But this time, Nightblood and the peculiarity of where it/he pops up next, has rekindled my intrigue. I don't know if or when there will be a direct sequel to Warbreaker (supposedly it is written? Maybe?), but that damned Cosmere is a tricky place, and it wasn't until I reread Warbreaker this time, that it all just started to click into place due to another of Sanderson's recent novels and a plot device I didn't even realise was staring me in the face! Wiley man Sanderson! I really want to be a spoiler, but I will refrain, just incases.. Suffice to say, I probably enjoyed it more this time around because of the tie. Still had a tear when one of the characters dies, those scenes never get old... ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
Man, I wish I could write like Brandon Sanderson! As I've come to expect from him, this is a complex and well-developed fantasy with great characters, a massively complicated magic system that still manages to make perfect sense, and a fast-paced plot with lots of twists and turns. He managed more strong female characters in this one than in some of his other books (I love the Mistborn series, but it is almost Tolkien-esque in how male-dominated it is), though there's still some room for improvement on that front. Still, that's my one nit-picky complaint -- all in all, I loved this and have no idea why I waited so long to read it. ( )
  foggidawn | Apr 11, 2016 |
Brilliant ( )
  redwing605 | Mar 19, 2016 |
After reading Warbreaker, it's readily apparent that Brandon Sanderson is an extremely talented author. The novel was a real page turner and was filled with wonderful characters and thoughtful original ideas.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Dominic Cilli (Nov 1, 2009)

Sanderson's prose falls into a nice rhythm that helps to move the action forward. Multifaceted characters and action of both the mystical and sword-fighting realms bring added excitement to a complex and creative read.

"Warbreaker" is an improvement on Sanderson's other work. And if he continues to follow along this path, fans of the Wheel of Time series will have nothing to worry about.
added by Katya0133 | editDeseret News, Jessica Harrison (Jun 14, 2009)

But the narrative is richer, spinning together hilarious dialogue, descriptive action sequences, and genuinely sweet romance.

The system of magic is also novel ... and demands far more of the characters' ingenuity, which in turn demands developing them--male and female, divine and mortal--to a far higher degree than one expects of much fantasy these days.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Roland Green (May 15, 2009)

Sanderson again demonstrates his capacity for handling large and complex themes while creating believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (May 15, 2009)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emily,
who said yes.
It's funny, Vasher thought, how many things begin with my getting thrown into prison.

By using "breath" and drawing upon the color in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong, reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the Warbreaker.… (more)

191 wanted1 free

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,241,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible