Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:_Zoe_
Title:Warbreaker
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2010), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read, fiction, fantasy, gods

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, Book 1 (The Inheritance Trilogy) by N. K. Jemisin (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (infiniteletters)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another book with phenomenal world-building and complex plot told through the points-of-view of interconnected characters.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (Mav.Weirdo)
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (kgodey)
    Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan (infiniteletters)
    Progeny by R. T. Kaelin (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books demonstrate wonderful world-building and a unique system of magic.
    The Charmed Sphere by Catherine Asaro (infiniteletters)

This was the first book by Brandon Sanderson that I have read, and now I wonder what took me so long. There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe this book. I absolutely loved it! The world Mr. Sanderson created was familiar enough for me to relate to, and yet different enough to seem foreign and exotic. The plot twists kept me off balance as time and again those perceived as enemies became friends and those perceived as friends became enemies. This was one of those rare books that I did not want to see end and at the same time could not seem to put down. I will definitely be putting Brandon Sanderson on my list of favorite authors. ( )
1 vote NPJacobsen | Jun 19, 2015 |
  NPJacobsen | Jun 2, 2015 |
Very interesting... Mr. Sanderson continues to write very original forms of magic. If you can enjoy reading a computer screen you should go download this from Sanderson's website now, or wait until its released later this year. I look forward to reading more of this series. ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
I really liked Sanderson's Elantris and that's what prompted me to pick up Warbreaker. Warbreaker seemed to follow the same style as Elatris - the multiple points of view; the political intrigue; double-crossing etc etc, Second time around much of what I liked in Elantris was less fresh in Warbreaker. It took a lot longer to get into Warbreaker - much of that was getting through the details of Warbreakers magic system. This is actually what I found the weakest element of the story. The notion of colours and breaths felt to me like the author had really reached in order to make something unique. It rang a little forced for me - particularly all the long-winded exposition getting through the details and constantly reminding the reader how it worked. Through the early parts of the story I was wondering if after Elantris and Warbreaker, Sanderson might develop a system based on farts. ( )
  StaticBlaq | Apr 26, 2015 |
This was AWESOME! What a mind Mr Sanderson must have to create such a world. It is full of intrigue and mystery and so many levels of fascination. I was captivated by Siri, Suseborn and Vivenna. There were so many twist and turns that keep your eyes glued to the page. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
After reading Warbreaker, it's readily apparent that Brandon Sanderson is an extremely talented author. The novel was a real page turner and was filled with wonderful characters and thoughtful original ideas.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Dominic Cilli (Nov 1, 2009)

Sanderson's prose falls into a nice rhythm that helps to move the action forward. Multifaceted characters and action of both the mystical and sword-fighting realms bring added excitement to a complex and creative read.

"Warbreaker" is an improvement on Sanderson's other work. And if he continues to follow along this path, fans of the Wheel of Time series will have nothing to worry about.
added by Katya0133 | editDeseret News, Jessica Harrison (Jun 14, 2009)

But the narrative is richer, spinning together hilarious dialogue, descriptive action sequences, and genuinely sweet romance.

The system of magic is also novel ... and demands far more of the characters' ingenuity, which in turn demands developing them--male and female, divine and mortal--to a far higher degree than one expects of much fantasy these days.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Roland Green (May 15, 2009)

Sanderson again demonstrates his capacity for handling large and complex themes while creating believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (May 15, 2009)

For Emily,
who said yes.
It's funny, Vasher thought, how many things begin with my getting thrown into prison.

By using "breath" and drawing upon the color in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong, reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the Warbreaker.… (more)

203 wanted1 free

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,024,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible