Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:_Zoe_
Title:Warbreaker
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2010), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read, Permanent Collection
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read, fiction, fantasy, gods

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another book with phenomenal world-building and complex plot told through the points-of-view of interconnected characters.
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (infiniteletters)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (kgodey)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (Mav.Weirdo)
    The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks (ajwseven)
    Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan (infiniteletters)
    Progeny by R. T. Kaelin (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books demonstrate wonderful world-building and a unique system of magic.
    The Charmed Sphere by Catherine Asaro (infiniteletters)

An incredible story. This was originally available as a pdf online for free (in draft form). A friend recommended it to me, and I liked it so much I read the whole thing on the computer. It's not a short book, and the computer screen was not pleasant, but the story made it worthwhile. Now that it's available in print, I had to pick up a copy so that I can read it again. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
Oh. My. Goodness. Golly. Gosh. I absolutely loved this book so much I had to read it a second time, and I discovered even more things to love! I fell in love with each character, and then had my heart broken by many characters I thought were on the 'good' side. Even though I had already read it before, it was still an awful shock when certain characters turned out to be different than I had assumed. An awesome book full of plot twists, action scenes, and a truly brilliant 'brandon-sanderson' magic system. Despite having just read it, I'm already looking forward to picking it up again. ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |
This review and others posted over at my blog.

First off, I have to admit that I owned this book for over a year before reading it and I only picked it up because the friend who purchased it for me, continually reminded me that I needed to read it. What a fool I was for waiting so long! This is definitely one of my all-time favorite books now and I’m still giddy thinking about everything that took place in the story. I know I’m not going to be coherent when reviewing this because I love it too much, so probably you should just read this book.

All the stars – I’m giving it all the stars, just so you know. Just reaching into the sky, grabbing handfuls of them and throwing them at this book. That’s basically my review!

In all seriousness, much like The Lies of Locke Lamora, I knew within reading the first few pages of this book that I was going to love it. Before we’re given any real intro to the characters, we start learning about Breath. I love a lot of things about this book, but the idea of Breath and the way Sanderson develops it might be my favorite. I’ve never read about a magical or spiritual system quite like Breath, The Iridescent Tones, The Returned and the powers of Awakening that he created. I won’t do it justice if I try to explain these things, so probably you should just read this book.

My second favorite thing about this book was every single character. Yes, I love them all. Everyone was so well developed and complex, I was constantly kept on my toes. I have favorite favorites among them of course, but they’re all fantastic. I was never bored or frustrated when the point of view switched to another character and the variation added depth to the story.

I know I’m late joining the Sanderson fan club and I have more of his work on my shelves that I need to stop ignoring (I don’t do it on purpose, I just have a lot of books!) If you’re a fantasy fan and you haven’t read Warbreaker, I highly suggest you should, if that’s not already apparent. I’ve been told by my friend that this is a stand-alone novel (though the door is wide open for a sequel and it needs to happen, dammit) and that it’s a good place to start if you’ve never read his book before. So, probably, you should just read this book! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jan 16, 2017 |
An interesting stand-alone story. People can give their breath" [life essence] to another person and it enhances certain aspects of perception.

The overall story deals with a kingdom split in the past that are now being manipulated to go to war by a third country. Deals with people who were present at the first split 300 years ago and how they are either trying to make up for what they did or running away from it.

My first thought was how much like Mistborn it was, but it was different enough that it didn't feel like a copy. There was a lot of humor and I just laughed out loud several times.

I would like to see Sanderson explore this world or the Elantris world more. But given his involvement in the finishing up of The Wheel of Time series, that is doubtful. This was a worthwhile read." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
One of Sanderson's first books. Not my favorite, but very interesting to the greater Cosmere story line. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
After reading Warbreaker, it's readily apparent that Brandon Sanderson is an extremely talented author. The novel was a real page turner and was filled with wonderful characters and thoughtful original ideas.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Dominic Cilli (Nov 1, 2009)

Sanderson's prose falls into a nice rhythm that helps to move the action forward. Multifaceted characters and action of both the mystical and sword-fighting realms bring added excitement to a complex and creative read.

"Warbreaker" is an improvement on Sanderson's other work. And if he continues to follow along this path, fans of the Wheel of Time series will have nothing to worry about.
added by Katya0133 | editDeseret News, Jessica Harrison (Jun 14, 2009)

But the narrative is richer, spinning together hilarious dialogue, descriptive action sequences, and genuinely sweet romance.

The system of magic is also novel ... and demands far more of the characters' ingenuity, which in turn demands developing them--male and female, divine and mortal--to a far higher degree than one expects of much fantasy these days.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Roland Green (May 15, 2009)

Sanderson again demonstrates his capacity for handling large and complex themes while creating believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (May 15, 2009)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emily,
who said yes.
It's funny, Vasher thought, how many things begin with my getting thrown into prison.

By using "breath" and drawing upon the color in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong, reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the Warbreaker.… (more)

191 wanted1 free

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,312,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible