Genesis in Space and Time by FRANCIS A.…

Genesis in Space and Time (edition 1973)

by FRANCIS A. SCHAEFFER

Member:bemmerling
Title:Genesis in Space and Time
Authors:FRANCIS A. SCHAEFFER
Info:HODDER & STOUGHTON LTD (1973), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 168 pages

Genesis in Space and Time; The Flow of Biblical History (Bible Commentary for Layman) by Francis A. Schaeffer

Francis Schaeffer writes a wonderful book on the importance of Genesis within real historical space and time. The emphasis of the book is that Genesis is the proper and correct historical starting point for all of man's history including the Fall, which Schaeffer points out, brought about 5 divisions (1) between God and man, (2) between man and himself, (3) between man and man, (4) man and nature, and (5) between nature and nature. He rightly connects Genesis 3:15 to the future redemptive work of Jesus to restore what was broken and lost at the Fall. Schaeffer does come up short when handling the creation account as being a literal 6 days or not. He is consistent in referencing how later Old Testament writers and New Testament writers use Genesis as historical fact placed in real time and space, and yet he does not do the same when dealing with the days of creation, thus leaving the door open to day/age theories or gap theory. Over all it is a must read for any believer to see the historical affects of the fall to man's history and to understand that without Genesis "the flow of the rest of history collapses." ( )
  Johnnycat | Nov 8, 2014 |
Dr. Schaeffer explodes the origin of the universe, life, and man. He writes as one in battle, understanding that many view the scriptures as myths which cast light on the mind of ancient Hebrews. He shows how the first eleven Chapters of Genesis provide solid space-time answers to how we got here.

Schaeffer treats Genesis as the most important. Shows man in cosmic setting and his "peculiar uniqueness". Explores "metaphysics", morals and epistemology in the light of the work of Christ.

No index.
  keylawk | Aug 25, 2012 |
A great book on the beginning of the Bible, and of human history. Schaeffer offers great insight into the makeup of the Bible and how it applies to us today. His thoughts on interpretation and exegesis were very thought provoking. This book made me turn to my Bible for my reading, which is always a sign of a good book. ( )
  laholmes | Jul 6, 2011 |
NO OF PAGES: 167 SUB CAT I: Creation Science SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: Genesis is a book of origins-the origin of the universe, the origin of life and the origin of man. It places man in his cosmic setting, shows his particular uniqueness, explains his wonder and his flaw, and begins to trace the flow of human history throughNOTES: SUBTITLE:
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
I wish some of those depressed authors from the 20's and 30's could have read and believed this. The main idea being, that if man doesn't know where he has come from or where he is heading, he cannot know himself. It is our denial of who we are, creatures created by God and separated from Him by sin, that makes it impossible for us to solve our problems. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 26, 2008 |

Genesis is a book of origins--the origin of the universe, the origin of life and the origin of man. It places man in his cosmic setting, shows his particular uniquness, explains his wonder and his flaw, and begins to trace the flow of human history through space and time.

Many today, however, view this book as a collection of myths, useful for understanding the Hebrew mind, perhaps, but certainly not a record of what really happened. Dr. Francis A. Schaeffer challenges that view and shows how the first eleven chapters of Genesis stand as a solid, space-time basis for answering the tough questions posed by modern man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:49 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,213,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible