Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

In Flanders Fields by John McCrae

In Flanders Fields

by John McCrae

Shaking my head at the library's decision to discard again. Wow. This was so well done. I learned the following stuff from this book that I should have learned in either public school or college:

* About the origins of the poem "In Flanders Fields" (to which I hadn't even been exposed; can you believe it?) and its impact.
* About poppies and their connection to WWI (NEVER KNEW)
* An important date to remember...why don't we remember?
* Everyday issues of a soldier in WWI
* Warfare stuff I cared little about, but think is interesting now that I've learned it.

I feel that this is really important history, a matter of cultural literacy at the very least, and I feel compelled to pass this along.
This stunningly illustrated and well-written book ends with "Lest we forget." Man...we really did forget. Mission accomplished McCrae, Granfield, and Wilson. Fortunately, I predict that this is just right for my jr. high kids, so the message won't end here. Thank you.
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |

John McCraeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macphail, Sir AndrewAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Presents the context for the writing of the famous poem by the Canadian medical officer who attended injured soldiers in Flanders during the First World War.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,472,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible