Baker's Fatal Dozen (Center Point Christian…

Baker's Fatal Dozen (Center Point Christian Mystery (Large Print)) (edition 2011)

by Lisa Harris (Author)

192783,652 (3.3)None
Member:Karin7
Title:Baker's Fatal Dozen (Center Point Christian Mystery (Large Print))
Authors:Lisa Harris (Author)
Info:Center Point (2011), Edition: Lrg, 287 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:kapk, christian fiction, christian romance, cozy mystery, mystery, murder, murder mystery, Christian Fiction, romance

Baker's Fatal Dozen by Lisa Harris (Author)

This is about a sixy-five year old amateur sleuth, a widow named Priscilla Crumb (sighs loudly at Crumb as the surname for a chef), who is torn about what to do about Max, a widower she has feelings for. While he is visiting, Reggie Pierce, husband of one of Priscilla's friends. Soon, against everyone else's wishes she is solving the case (sound familiar).

If you like this sort of romance, you may well like this book, but it's written a lot like Avalon and Harlequin romances but with Christians as the main characters and with some Bible quoted at times (appropriately, at least, not just randomly thrown in). Had I not already put this book into a finished book chain, I'd have left it unfinished. While I suspect that Lisa's novel writing helps support her family as they work as missionaries overseas, I hope she'll stick to the sort of writing she did in her Southern Crimes series and leave this sort of stuff behind, because I would like to read Christian mystery/thrillers with the same type of writing found in Southern Crimes and not this sort of writing. ( )
  Karin7 | Jul 9, 2016 |
This is one of those small paperback mysteries that prove to be a quick, enjoyable read. I connected to Pricilla. the sixty-five year-old retired-but-still-working protagonist who just cannot stop investigating Reggie's murder. She's so sure that her friend didn't do it. There's romance in the mix too as she vacillates between loving Max, who lives 200 miles away and letting him go.

The vivid descriptions of Baker's Dozen Bakery (what a good name for a bakery!) had my mouth watering. Although the ending was weak, this is a fun read.

olorado, mystery, murder, christian fiction, romance ( )
  smilingsally | Dec 23, 2008 |

Harris, LisaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Illustrator, Jody Williams CoverIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A big thanks to Susan, Lynette, Rhonda, and Darlene. I'd be lost without your honest critiques. And to my mom. Thanks for always being there for me.
Pricilla Crumb snatched a pile of envelopes from the mailbox and shivered in the chilly May breeze. A letter from Max Summers rested on top. She sighed in frustration. She'd come to the conclusion that a long-distance relations was no different than the Titanic on that fateful night it struck an iceberg. Both were poised for inevitable disaster. That in her mind, described her relationship with Max Summers. Seven months ago they decided to try to move beyond their thirty-year friendship and give love a chance. After being married to her first husband for over four decades before he died, Pricilla had come to believe that life didn't give second chances when it came to true love. Max had changed all that---for a while anyway.

Baker's Fatal Dozen once again finds sixty-something Pricilla Crumb in a sticky scandal when she steps into her favorite bakery to order a baker-s dozen of her favorite shortbread cookies and finds owner Reggie Pierce dead in the back room.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,081,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible