Stuart Little by E. B. White

Stuart Little (original 1945; edition 2000)

by E. B. White

Member:Eowyn1
Title:Stuart Little
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Puffin (2000), Edition: Film Tie-in Ed, Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Your library, English, E-book, Read
Tags:children's

Stuart Little by E. B. White (1945)

The Mouse & the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary (cmbohn)
    Half Empty by David Rakoff (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One of the essays discusses the author's identification with Stuart Little as a child

In the book Stuart little, Stuart goes on many adventures. For instance he was in a model boat race, he saved his mom's ring down the drain, and he is thrown out in the trash. Margalo is a friend of Stuart. One day she gets a letter that tells her that she is in danger. She flies away, and Stuart looks for her. On the way Stuart meets people, and briefly is a substitute teacher. I liked this book because it had adventures. I recommend this book to people who like adventure. ( )
  EliW6 | May 25, 2015 |
Not the same caliber as "Charlotte's Web", but cute. It seems like White had a lot of fun throwing these little adventures together and coming up with a mouse who is smart, resilient and usually easy to root for. (The one subplot where he tries to woo a woman his height puts him in an uncharacteristically bad light.) The tone is lightly fantastical and charming for children (even if I, as a grownup, kept rolling my eyes at all the mouse-sized clothes, tools, etc. that kept miraculously appearing).

Note: I was inspired to revisit "Stuart Little" after learning about the librarian Anne Carroll Moore's misguided and ultimately unsuccessful attempt to stop it from being published, bought or recommended. For info on that, see Jill Lepore's excellent New Yorker piece, http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/07/21/the-lion-and-the-mouse. ( )
  bostonian71 | Apr 30, 2015 |
I didn't own many books when I was a child, but I was lucky enough to own the three by White. I loved this over and over again. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a fantastic book! I really loved how realistic the characters were! Stuart Little is a little mouse but the way he talks and behaves the reader believe he is a human! Stuart is a member of the family which means he has his own bed, clothes, toys, and is accepted and loved by all his family members. The same can be said for a household pet but Stuart is different. Stuart can talk and is very intelligent. He is a member of society.
I also really love the authors style of writing. E.B. White writes very clear while making the readers think. The author leaves loose ends that make the young readers ask "what happened then?" I love this because it is not an easy read. It is a challenging and interesting read. E.B White writes in a way that lets the reader assume what is happening instead of literally writing it out.
The main message of this story is that anyone can be what ever they want to be as long as they put their mind to it. This book also shows the loyalty and friendship. ( )
  csmith109 | Mar 12, 2015 |
This 1945 children's classic was indeed enjoyable and whimsical, about a baby who is born to the Little family and is somewhat unusual in that he is about two inches in height and looks very much like a mouse. But he settles down into the Little family, loved and cared for like any other boy, and has various adventures with model boaters and the family cat and a tiny gas-powered car and a beautiful bird who is taken in by the family. When Margalo, the bird, disappears one night (the implication is that she was devoured by a wayward cat), Stuart goes off into the world on his own to search for her. It is here that the story takes on an unfinished feeling, with Stuart meeting a lonely and pretty girl his own height, but leaving her to continue his search. And here the story ends, with Stuart taking up his search again, somehow confident he is traveling in the right direction. All in all, I liked the movie better, a rare thing for me to say. ( )
  burnit99 | Sep 21, 2014 |

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bomans, GodfriedTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JulieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Mrs. Frederick C. Little's second son arrived, everyone noticed that he was not much bigger than a mouse.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064400565, Paperback)

Narrator Julie Harris draws upon her extraordinary acting talents to raise this much-loved tale of a teeny, tiny explorer and his oversized adventures to new heights. "Stuart put on his sailor hat and his sailor suit, took his spy glass down from the shelf and set for a walk full of the joy of life and the fear of dogs." Skipping from one precarious perch to the next, the diminutive wanderer makes new friends, meets old ones, and shares his lust for life with listeners of all ages. Harris's clever, lyrical narration is wonderfully evocative and perfectly captures the charming yet soulful spirit of E.B. White's classic children's tale. (Running time: 2 hours, 2 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:01 -0400)

The adventures of the debonair mouse Stuart Little as he sets out in the world to seek out his dearest friend, a little bird who stayed a few days in his family's garden.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,256,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible