Stuart Little by E. B. White

Stuart Little (original 1945; edition 2000)

by E. B. White

Member:Eowyn1
Title:Stuart Little
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Puffin (2000), Edition: Film Tie-in Ed, Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Your library, English, E-book, Read
Tags:children's

Stuart Little by E. B. White (1945)

The Mouse & the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary (cmbohn)
    Half Empty by David Rakoff (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One of the essays discusses the author's identification with Stuart Little as a child

Summary of Book:
Stuart Little by E.B. White, is a fantasy children's literature book. Stuart Little is about a mouse who is born to human parents in New York City. His family has to adjust to having such a small 'son'. This book has many details about the adventures of Stuart. In the house, Snowbell the family cat, is constantly after him. However, one day, his brother George accidentally released him outside. Stuart finds himself in Central Park and races a sailboat. Eventually he finds his way home and come to find out the family has adopted bird named Margalo. Margalo saves Stuart from being shipped out to sea with the garbage. When Margalo gets word Snowbell's friend wants to eat her, she flies away. This is when Stuart Little goes after to find Margalo.

Personal Reaction:
My first reaction to this book was somewhat negative. I have seen the movie Stuart Little but I had never read the book. Once I read the book I realized just how much the movie was different. The movie is very child friendly where the book is somewhat gruesome. However, after I read it a couple of times, it grew on me and I now like this book.

Extension Ideas:
In my classroom I would have my students create a creative writing story. In the end of the book Stuart has still not found Margalo. My students would come up with an ending of how Stuart found Margalo. I would then have my elementary-age students type up their creative writings in the computer lab and then I would have each student trade papers. Once they traded papers I would have them create a drawing of the paper they read. They would then present their drawings to the class and the person who wrote the story would claim the correct one. ( )
  thejennalane | Oct 19, 2016 |
A cute and fun read that explains the life of a small little city mouse that is far from ordinary living in NYC. His adventures sure know how to keep children engaged especially when it comes to this best friend, a little bird, disappearing from her nest and then the story takes you on the venture to find her and leads you to predicting the rest of the story all the way through. ( )
  LaurenSchifter | Oct 18, 2016 |
Maybe 3.5 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I feel like I need to take off points for the ending. I thought I was missing a chapter it was so abrupt.
It was an enjoyable collection of tales, though (it was not a smooth narrative, however). ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 10, 2016 |
Before I say why I hated Stuart Little so much, let me first say that Charlotte's Web is a favorite of mine. I have loved other books involving talking animals too. I'm not bothered by talking animals. I am somewhat bothered by books that don't have an actual plot, but just randomly wander through unrelated events in the characters lives, but I can forgive that as well. Ginger Pye was a book like this, and I rather enjoyed it. But I am not a young adult. I am a 50 year old who loves reading young adult novels. I may have loved Stuart Little had I read it when I was 8. But as an adult, I simply found it stupid.
It was filled with nonsense. It's not just that Stuart is a mouse... he is the actual birth child of human parents! He is supposed to be a child, but behaves in all ways like an adult. All animals talk, and all humans can carry on conversations with them. Someone gives Stuart an actual gasoline powered mouse sized automobile, which is silly enough... but that automobile has a button to make it invisible! This serves no purpose whatsoever other than to provide two or three pages of nonsense, with Stuart and the man who made the car chasing a miniature invisible car around an office. It never comes into play again. Stuart encounters a two inch tall woman. A human woman, 2 inches tall. The book ends with Stuart driving in his car in search of a bird he met earlier in the book. And it just ends, leaving me feeling that E.B. White was about as tired of this absurd book as I was so he just quit writing it mid-story.

Again, a young child may love it. And maybe an adult who loved it as a young child would have a nostalgic fondness for it. But as an adult reading it for the first time, it sunk to the bottom of my YA novel barrel. ( )
  fingerpost | Sep 2, 2016 |

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bomans, GodfriedTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JulieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Mrs. Frederick C. Little's second son arrived, everyone noticed that he was not much bigger than a mouse.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064400565, Paperback)

Narrator Julie Harris draws upon her extraordinary acting talents to raise this much-loved tale of a teeny, tiny explorer and his oversized adventures to new heights. "Stuart put on his sailor hat and his sailor suit, took his spy glass down from the shelf and set for a walk full of the joy of life and the fear of dogs." Skipping from one precarious perch to the next, the diminutive wanderer makes new friends, meets old ones, and shares his lust for life with listeners of all ages. Harris's clever, lyrical narration is wonderfully evocative and perfectly captures the charming yet soulful spirit of E.B. White's classic children's tale. (Running time: 2 hours, 2 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

The adventures of the debonair mouse Stuart Little as he sets out in the world to seek out his dearest friend, a little bird who stayed a few days in his family's garden.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,665,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible