Stuart Little by E. B. White

Stuart Little (original 1945; edition 2000)

by E. B. White

Member:Eowyn1
Title:Stuart Little
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Puffin (2000), Edition: Film Tie-in Ed, Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Your library, English, E-book, Read
Tags:children's

Stuart Little by E. B. White (1945)

The Mouse & the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary (cmbohn)
    Half Empty by David Rakoff (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One of the essays discusses the author's identification with Stuart Little as a child

This 1945 children's classic was indeed enjoyable and whimsical, about a baby who is born to the Little family and is somewhat unusual in that he is about two inches in height and looks very much like a mouse. But he settles down into the Little family, loved and cared for like any other boy, and has various adventures with model boaters and the family cat and a tiny gas-powered car and a beautiful bird who is taken in by the family. When Margalo, the bird, disappears one night (the implication is that she was devoured by a wayward cat), Stuart goes off into the world on his own to search for her. It is here that the story takes on an unfinished feeling, with Stuart meeting a lonely and pretty girl his own height, but leaving her to continue his search. And here the story ends, with Stuart taking up his search again, somehow confident he is traveling in the right direction. All in all, I liked the movie better, a rare thing for me to say. ( )
  burnit99 | Sep 21, 2014 |
Stuart little is about a mouse who was born to a human family it a great adventure of some troubles that a mouse has to go through living with humans, but he is very smart and very loving to his family. Stuart befriends a bird named Margalo that his family adopts but the bird runs away because the family cat snowball plans to eat her. So Stuart sets out to find his friend and thats how this book ends

I like this book because it is a good start to a good series of books.

Compare movie differences to the book. Have a pet mouse in the class
  RaymondGraham | Jul 15, 2014 |
"Stuart Little" is an amazing chapter book, and although it it a chapter book it still has pictures along the way. This book by E.B. White is made up of several adventures with Stuart, a little mouse. The book does an excellent job of showing the struggles of being a mouse but does so in a humorous way. Every chapter is an adventure with Stuart and every adventure, even the smallest ones, are so meaningful. We, as readers, get to explore very relatable experiences through the eyes of Stuart, this mouse in New York City as he finds his friend, Margalo. This book takes through many emotions; i felt humored, excited, and at times saddened.

This book is a daily thing in our household, everyday we do a different chapter, mainly because; every chapter is a new adventure so we take it one day at a time. The main character is Stuart, the main setting is New York. I would think the theme would be even the littlest of people can do what they set their mind too. Also, it can show kids what it's like to be loved. The tone for the most part is happy and excitement. The genre is fantasy and animal realism. I would say Stuart is a dynamic character. I also saw one of the four conflicts which is person against nature. As a mouse in a big city he was faced with many challenges with nature.

Two classroom extension ideas: Since Stuart is looking for his friend, Margalo, the students could draw some missing posters to help Stuart. They could draw a picture of her with her name and physical features. Another, they could draw a picture of their family and write on it, what makes a family.
  bm091113 | Jul 10, 2014 |
I loved this chapter book. I liked that even though it is a chapter book, it also had illustrations for readers to have an idea of what the people and characters looked like. I think the illustrations especially helped when Stuart Little drove around the little yellow sports car. It showed how small it truly was compared to everything else. I also liked the plot because it was about friendship and family. It was a cute story. The big idea is that it is important to make memories because they will last a lifetime. ( )
  lpicke2 | May 6, 2014 |
Another good read aloud! I couldn't believe that I hadn't read it before...although I had an aversion to reading books with boys as the main characters in my younger days, so that may account for it.

My favorite words... "Swamps where cedars grow and turtles wait on logs but not for anything in particular; fields bordered by crooked fences broken by years of standing still; orchards so old they have forgotten where the farmhouse is." Beautiful! ( )
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bomans, GodfriedTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JulieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Mrs. Frederick C. Little's second son arrived, everyone noticed that he was not much bigger than a mouse.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064400565, Paperback)

Narrator Julie Harris draws upon her extraordinary acting talents to raise this much-loved tale of a teeny, tiny explorer and his oversized adventures to new heights. "Stuart put on his sailor hat and his sailor suit, took his spy glass down from the shelf and set for a walk full of the joy of life and the fear of dogs." Skipping from one precarious perch to the next, the diminutive wanderer makes new friends, meets old ones, and shares his lust for life with listeners of all ages. Harris's clever, lyrical narration is wonderfully evocative and perfectly captures the charming yet soulful spirit of E.B. White's classic children's tale. (Running time: 2 hours, 2 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:01 -0400)

The adventures of the debonair mouse Stuart Little as he sets out in the world to seek out his dearest friend, a little bird who stayed a few days in his family's garden.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,339,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible