Stuart Little by E. B. White

Stuart Little (original 1945; edition 2000)

by E. B. White

6,271None633 (3.86)86
Member:Eowyn1
Title:Stuart Little
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Puffin (2000), Edition: Film Tie-in Ed, Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Your library, English, E-book, Read
Tags:children's

Stuart Little by E. B. White (1945)

adventure (128) American (23) animals (191) chapter book (142) children (160) children's (294) children's books (51) children's classics (32) children's fiction (87) children's literature (156) classic (142) classics (95) E.B. White (43) family (71) fantasy (205) fiction (601) juvenile (75) juvenile fiction (48) kids (33) Level R (39) literature (43) mice (149) mouse (100) novel (67) own (27) paperback (31) read (60) to-read (28) YA (30) young adult (57)
    The Mouse & the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary (cmbohn)
    Half Empty by David Rakoff (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One of the essays discusses the author's identification with Stuart Little as a child

Another good read aloud! I couldn't believe that I hadn't read it before...although I had an aversion to reading books with boys as the main characters in my younger days, so that may account for it.

My favorite words... "Swamps where cedars grow and turtles wait on logs but not for anything in particular; fields bordered by crooked fences broken by years of standing still; orchards so old they have forgotten where the farmhouse is." Beautiful! ( )
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |

CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
In my opinion, Stuart Little, is a wonderful and classic beginning chapter book for many young students! In my placement this semester, I have been working in a 2nd grade classroom with a small group of students who were reading Stuart Little. Actually witnessing the book being used in a classroom was a great experience to have after reading the book myself. The plot is organized and paced, with great suspense and conflict to keep the students engaged. Stuart goes on a journey into the outside world to find his friend, Margolo. The language is very descriptive, with a lot of vocabulary for new learners. For example, "When Mrs. Frederick C. Little's second son arrived, everybody noticed that he was not much bigger than a mouse. The truth of the matter was, the baby looked very much like a mouse in every way." The writing is more challenging; with complex ideas in condense sentences. Overall, the author created a wonderful story about loyalty and friendship, featuring a little mouse! The big idea of Stuart Little is growing up, family life, and the importance of friendship. ( )
  esiera1 | Mar 18, 2014 |
Stuart Little is a charming book made up of several adventures throughout the book. Each chapter is usually an adventure of it's own. E.B White makes even the small events in Stuart's life meaningful. Although the book had many small adventures, the most notable was when Stuart sets off to find his friend Margalo. This book had an innocent storyline with several stories that illustrate the hilarious complications of being a mouse in New York. White let's the reader explore relatable experiences through the eyes of a mouse, which turns out to be exciting, humorous, and at times difficult. This book would be great for teachers to read to their students one chapter at a time because each chapter is a new adventure. The language or references may be difficult for some children to understand because they are no longer relevant to modern times. Also, there are some references to alcohol and cigarettes, however none of the characters actually consume these substances. ( )
  natalienichols | Mar 15, 2014 |
What I remember most from my childhood reading of this book was that I was incensed that two humans gave birth to a mouse! I had no problem with them having a teeny tiny person, but not a mouse! It just isn't possible. This was one of my husband's childhood favorites, so I reread it. A cute adventure. Not my favorite. ( )
  njcur | Mar 7, 2014 |

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JulieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Mrs. Frederick C. Little's second son arrived, everyone noticed that he was not much bigger than a mouse.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064400565, Paperback)

Narrator Julie Harris draws upon her extraordinary acting talents to raise this much-loved tale of a teeny, tiny explorer and his oversized adventures to new heights. "Stuart put on his sailor hat and his sailor suit, took his spy glass down from the shelf and set for a walk full of the joy of life and the fear of dogs." Skipping from one precarious perch to the next, the diminutive wanderer makes new friends, meets old ones, and shares his lust for life with listeners of all ages. Harris's clever, lyrical narration is wonderfully evocative and perfectly captures the charming yet soulful spirit of E.B. White's classic children's tale. (Running time: 2 hours, 2 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:01 -0400)

The adventures of the debonair mouse Stuart Little as he sets out in the world to seek out his dearest friend, a little bird who stayed a few days in his family's garden.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible