Stuart Little by E. B. White

Stuart Little (original 1945; edition 2000)

by E. B. White

Title:Stuart Little
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Puffin (2000), Edition: Film Tie-in Ed, Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Your library, English, E-book, Read

Stuart Little by E. B. White (1945)

The Mouse & the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary (cmbohn)
    Half Empty by David Rakoff (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One of the essays discusses the author's identification with Stuart Little as a child

Delightful little story - Stuart is so sweet and polite. Sad that the ending came too soon, I would have liked to follow him on his travels as he journeyed north. ( )
  overthemoon | Sep 12, 2015 |
Lovely story. After having seen the animated film, I realized I had never read the children's book. Does the author talk down to his audience? I'm not sure and though I enjoyed it, I was in a rush to finish it. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I had never read Stuart Little before. Since I've been working on reading more books to my four-year old son, I decided we would read Stuart Little. Honestly, I thought the premise was kind of dumb. I'm still not sure if the Little's had a baby who happened to be just about exactly like a mouse, or if they found a mouse and, being slightly crazy, thought it was their baby! But, either way, the book is all about little Stuart growing up. It is comprised of several episodes throughout Stuart's childhood that could almost stand alone as stories of their own. Each episode covered a chapter or two of the book, and they were all mostly entertaining. One episode was a boat race, in which Stuart sailed a toy ship. It was full of action and, unfortunately, nautical terms that I had to explain to my son. Technically, I just told him that it had something to do with boats because I didn't know what half of the terms meant either, but it made for some slow reading!

I didn't really care for Stuart's personality. While he seemed to care about certain people and things, he was all-too-ready to throw them away when something more important came up, or when things just didn't go his way. But in the end, what ruined the entire experience was the ending. I suppose many people that have already read the book think that the ending was genius, that Stuart had "grown up" or something. To me, it was just too abrupt. ( )
  rft183 | Jul 14, 2015 |
In the book Stuart little, Stuart goes on many adventures. For instance he was in a model boat race, he saved his mom's ring down the drain, and he is thrown out in the trash. Margalo is a friend of Stuart. One day she gets a letter that tells her that she is in danger. She flies away, and Stuart looks for her. On the way Stuart meets people, and briefly is a substitute teacher. I liked this book because it had adventures. I recommend this book to people who like adventure. ( )
  EliW6 | May 25, 2015 |
Not the same caliber as "Charlotte's Web", but cute. It seems like White had a lot of fun throwing these little adventures together and coming up with a mouse who is smart, resilient and usually easy to root for. (The one subplot where he tries to woo a woman his height puts him in an uncharacteristically bad light.) The tone is lightly fantastical and charming for children (even if I, as a grownup, kept rolling my eyes at all the mouse-sized clothes, tools, etc. that kept miraculously appearing).

Note: I was inspired to revisit "Stuart Little" after learning about the librarian Anne Carroll Moore's misguided and ultimately unsuccessful attempt to stop it from being published, bought or recommended. For info on that, see Jill Lepore's excellent New Yorker piece, http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/07/21/the-lion-and-the-mouse. ( )
  bostonian71 | Apr 30, 2015 |

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bomans, GodfriedTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JulieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Mrs. Frederick C. Little's second son arrived, everyone noticed that he was not much bigger than a mouse.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064400565, Paperback)

Narrator Julie Harris draws upon her extraordinary acting talents to raise this much-loved tale of a teeny, tiny explorer and his oversized adventures to new heights. "Stuart put on his sailor hat and his sailor suit, took his spy glass down from the shelf and set for a walk full of the joy of life and the fear of dogs." Skipping from one precarious perch to the next, the diminutive wanderer makes new friends, meets old ones, and shares his lust for life with listeners of all ages. Harris's clever, lyrical narration is wonderfully evocative and perfectly captures the charming yet soulful spirit of E.B. White's classic children's tale. (Running time: 2 hours, 2 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

The adventures of the debonair mouse Stuart Little as he sets out in the world to seek out his dearest friend, a little bird who stayed a few days in his family's garden.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,963,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible