Off We Go to Mexico by Laurie Krebs

Off We Go to Mexico (edition 2008)

by Laurie Krebs (Author)

A book about life and customs of Mexico. Includes Spanish words.
Member:Elisabeth_Jolly
Title:Off We Go to Mexico
Authors:Laurie Krebs (Author)
Info:Barefoot Books (2008), Edition: 1st, 32 pages
Collections:Classroom Library, Your library

Off We Go to Mexico by Laurie Krebs

I liked the book Off We Go to Mexico by Laurie Krebs and Christopher Corr. I liked how the images were colorful and contained many different objects, scenery, and people. I also like how on every other page, there were translations from English words to Spanish words such as “water – el agua” and “whales – las ballenas” so that readers can say in Spanish what the images and words show. The rhyme in the writing made reading the book a fun read as well. One section reads, “Across the bridge we go…we dare not look below.” I also liked how there is a variety of topics addressed in the book, such as what the beach is like, festivals, and ancient pyramids. Toward the end of the book, there is a map of Mexico in relation to where the U.S. is, which I think is helpful to readers who live in the U.S. and may not know where Mexico is or its size. There is also a list of Spanish phrases that readers can learn, as well as some facts about Mexico’s history. I like the main purpose of this book, which was to be a fun, informational text for readers to learn about Mexico. ( )
  LydiaSambuco | Feb 24, 2019 |
I liked the book Off We Go to Mexico! An Adventure in the Sun by Laurie Krebs and illustrated by Christopher Corr for two reasons. I liked that the book rhymed. I think that rhyming is a great way to engage readers and keep them interested. For example, the author ends the story by rhyming the words “farewell” and “tell” together. The second reason I enjoyed this book was because of the extra-textual features. At the end of the book, there is a map of Mexico, information on Mexico today, information on Mexican holidays and celebrations, the history of Mexico, and a glossary of “First Spanish Phrases.” Also, each page has the definitions of a few Spanish words. For example, the last page translates farewell to adios and home to la casa. The big idea of this book is to accept and try out new adventures and to travel and enjoy your time. ( )
  EmilyBoswell | Feb 21, 2019 |
Laurie Krebs' picture book shows young children the wonderful things that can be seen in Mexico. The story follows a family as they enjoy a trip to Mexico, with bright illustrations rhythmic text and Spanish vocabulary. It is a good book to introduce a new place and culture to young children. ( )
  Savage48 | Feb 24, 2018 |
In this book, we go on a vacation with a family traveling to Mexico, who are celebrating Independence Day. We learn about the different sights they see, and the beautiful animals they encounter. Along the way, they dance to a Mariachi band and they even climb pyramids. Throughout the book children have the opportunity to learn different Spanish words and phrases. The book is also in a rhyming format, which is wonderful for learning fluency.

Corr did it again! Another spectacular book filled with brilliant illustrations. Each illustration went perfect with the words presented on the page. I also really loved the Spanish words/phrases incorporated within the book as well. I love when diversity is presented within a book, and it was so fun to learn the different words. There was also a glossary on the back of the book which I found super helpful when reading to children. Corr uses a style of painting called gouache, and this is an opaque watercolor method. It really captures the vibrant colors, and he is consistent with his art. Overall, I loved this book and would love to do a Cinco de Mayo lesson plan around it. ( )
  aquinn | Feb 19, 2018 |
I think the poem Off to Mexico We Go is a great poem to show kids that either know Spanish or may want to know Spanish. There were two main components that I enjoyed the most in the story. First, I really liked the language used. Second, I liked the illustrations that corresponded with the text. I think this book would be great to show in classrooms, especially ones with ELL students.
The first reason I like this poem is because of the language. The set up of the text on the pages was very unique and added charisma to the story. On the Left page, the text was Spanish words that were going to be used on the Right page. Some of these words were things like pyramids, or ‘piramides’, and music, which is ‘la musica’. This is a great way to get your students interested in other cultures and keeping your classroom inclusive and diverse.
The second reason I enjoyed this poem was because of the illustrations. The illustrator created graphic and eye-opening pictures which corresponded with the text in the story. It was based on a family traveling to Mexico and seeing a lot of different components of their culture that they may have never seen before. It helps give children a good sense of the story and can help them picture what is happening along with reading the text.
I think the main idea of this story is to help readers learn about a different culture in a fun way. It was written in rhyming words which made it fun to read, and it gave English words in a different language which can help keep readers engaged and interested in the story. I think this is a great poem to show your students to help get a good idea of cultural diversity. ( )
  amandajenkins_ | Oct 2, 2017 |

Laurie Krebsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corr, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Canetti, Yanitziasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A book about life and customs of Mexico. Includes Spanish words.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,599,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible