The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury:…

The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury: Picture Books and Stories to…

by Janet Schulman

Just a wonderful little book. Great stories, both familiar and a bit out of the main stream. The perfect book to take on a trip. Lots for the older (6, 7, 8 year olds) to read to themselves; lots for the younger kids to have read to them.

Just a great resource and a fun book to own. I still pull it out 15 years later and reread my kids' favorites. ( )
  paideiamom | Sep 22, 2013 |

EllenAvondale | Mar 31, 2013 |

Ellen1213 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Group D
  gilsbooks | May 17, 2011 |
This treasury contains many of the most wonderful picture books of the 20th Century, as well as many that I hadn't previously read. My only complaint with this book is how many of the stories are compressed in order to fit everything in, by shrinking the illustrations and putting a lot on a page. I think that this detracts from the story reading experience some, and prefer compilations where the original layout has been preserved (such as the HarperCollins Treasury of Picture Book Classics). ( )
  melopher | Apr 1, 2009 |

Bemelmans, LudwigAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Berenstain, StanAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.

Swimmy by Leo Lionni

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats

Contents:
Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans * Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr., and John Archambault, illustrated by Lois Ehlert * Swimmy by Leo Lionni * A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams * Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Clement Hurd * The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats * "The Letter" by Arnold Lobel * Freight Train by Donald Crews* Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey * A Million Fish...More or Less by Patricia C. McKissack, illustrated by Dena Schutzer * A Boy, a Dog and a Frog by Mercer Mayer * Millions of Cats by Wanda Gág * Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney, illustrated by Anita Jeram * Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good,Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst, illustrated by Ray Cruz * Curious George by H. A. Rey * I Hear, I See, and I Touch by Helen Oxenbury * Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard, illustrated by James Marshall * Titch by Pat Hutchins * Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak * "The Cat Club" by Esther Averill * Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig * Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann * Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton * Stevie by John Steptoe * The Tub People by Pam Conrad, illustrated by Richard Egielski * "In Which Pooh Goes Visiting..." by A. A. Milne, illustrated by Ernest H. Shepard * Bedtime for Frances by Russell Hoban, illustrated by Garth Williams * "The Stinky Cheese Man" by Jon Scieszka, illustrated by Lane Smith * The Story of Babar by Jean de Brunhoff * The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan and Jan Berenstain * "The Elves in the Shelves" by Joan Aiken, illustrated by Jan Pienkowski * Ten, Nine, Eight by Molly Bang * Stellaluna by Janell Cannon * D.W. the Picky Eater by Marc Brown * Petunia by Roger Duvoisin * First Tomato by Rosemary Wells * Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish, illustrated by Fritz Siebel * I Am a Bunny by Ole Risom, illustrated by Richard Scarry * Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion, illustrated by Margaret Bloy Graham * Whose Mouse Are You? by Robert Kraus, illustrated by Jose Aruego * Owen by Kevin Henkes * The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf, illustrated by Robert Lawson * "The Sneetches" by Dr. Seuss * The Story of Little Babaji by Helen Bannerman, illustrated by Fred Marcellino

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679886478, Hardcover)

Believe it or not, 44 complete read-aloud classics and future classics--from Goodnight Moon to Stellaluna--are packed in this remarkably svelte, positively historic anthology. Flipping through the 308 pages of The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury is like browsing a photo album of beloved friends and family. The familiar faces of Curious George and Ferdinand the Bull peer earnestly from the pages, and scenes from Madeline and Millions of Cats resonate as if you just experienced them yesterday. Think of the advantages of carrying this book on a vacation instead of a suitcase of single titles! (Your kids can always revisit their dog-eared hardcovers when they get home.)

This impressive collection of concept books, wordless books, picture books, and read-aloud stories was artfully compiled by longtime children's book editor and publisher Janet Schulman. Stories are coded red, blue, and green to designate age groupings from baby/toddler books such as Whose Mouse Are You?, through preschool books such as Where the Wild Things Are, to longer stories for ages 5 and older such as Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. The reason the book isn't bigger than Babar is because many of the illustrations from each story were reduced or removed to fit the anthology's format. (Leo Lionni's Swimmy, for example, takes up 5 pages total, compared to its original 29 pages.) Brief biographical notes that are surprisingly quirky shine a little light on the 62 authors and illustrators, and an index helps, too, for the child who likes one story best. We love the idea of being within easy reach of a Star-Belly Sneetch, a William Steig donkey, and a Sendak monster at all times, and we're sure your little bookworms will, too. (Click to see a sample spread from The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury, compilation copyright © 1998 by Janet Schulman, illustrations © renewed 1997 by William Steig.) (All ages) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:24 -0400)

A collection of picture book stories by such authors as Ludwig Bemelmans, Ezra Jack Keats, and Maurice Sendak.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible