Black Summer by Warren Ellis

Black Summer

by Warren Ellis, Juan Jose Ryp (Illustrator)

It could have been called "Super-Powered Vigilante Blood Bath" but that probably would have taken away from the message, which I think was, "the government is evil, but you can't just kill it". As much as I enjoyed seeing a dead and bloody George W. Bush in the wrap around cover of the first issue, I'm afraid I have to agree with this message. I just have to ask: why couldn't they have come up with some even more painful and horrific image of a dead Cheney?

This was fun and cool and as I mentioned bloody as all hell. So if you like gritty, violent comics with some story behind them, this is for you. This isn't guys in tights playing nice, it's characters dying and having their bodies used as shields, limbs being severed, people being set on fire kinda stuff. ( )
  ragwaine | Aug 30, 2015 |
Kind of fun. Not super original, but Ellis does a good job making us care about the characters in not a lot of time so that it means something when the dying starts. Something a bit sub-Watchmen about it all, really, although I like the names - "Tom Noir," "John Horus," etc., and the killin' George Bush angle. Art is bog-standard retro-90s with a mildly exploitative feel. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Dec 24, 2008 |

Warren Ellisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ryp, Juan JoseIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,355,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible