Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig

I read this a LONG time ago (16 or 18 years), and it was really the first occult/new age book I picked up. I remember enjoying it, but I also remember it being a bit more structure than I was comfortable with. But there were techniques in it I've internalized, and it was an effective introduction to the whole arena.
  PeterKahle | Sep 17, 2010 |
Having heard very polarized views of this book, I figured it was time I read it myself, and while I'm not ending up on the far end of the views I've heard about this book, I must say I was disappointed. While I think the content was ordered and laid out well, the writing suffered in several ways. For a man who apparently doesn't like blinds in occult texts, he sure had enough. They ranged from just not explaining why you had to use one colour, and not another, to changing rituals (or putting them randomly in Enochian) and not explaining why, to actually admitting giving incorrect information earlier in the book. The last example bothered me, as Kraig seems to work from an objective magickal perspective, so spelling something wrong in Hebrew will mess up the ritual item, so he proceeds to misspell an important name on the defencive pentacle, and tell you near the end of the book. Even if not for the objective magickal perspective, due to spacing and writing (we don't leave gaps randomly for mistaken letters to fit in) and people shellacking their items, he's essentially ruined the object. While some of his information, and ritual suggestions are useful, I won't be recommending people to this book, preferring to send people to Frater U:.D:. or Lon Milo DuQuette. ( )
2 vote BlueFlameMagick | Jul 19, 2009 |
Good entry-level sorcerer's handbook. Cuts through the B.S. & gets down to the brass tacks. Handful of step-by-step lessons lay occult practices bare. Author can be a bit pretentious, but wealth of info makes it worthwhile. Follow with "Sefer Yetzirah" by Kaplan for more history & practical info. ( )
1 vote lonorising | Jan 5, 2009 |
This book is dedicated to
all of my teachers in the hope that what they shared with me I can now share with others.
These teachers Include:
Frater A.M.A.G,
Sorer S.I.A.A.
Frater D.D.C.F.
Frater P,
and others whose names I will not use;
Scott Cunningham and Raven, for their beautiful teachings;
Rabbis Meriminsky and Haas;
Michael Turk and Sifu Douglas Wong;
And so many others.
I want to start by telling you that all of the "fairy tales" and stories about the powers of wizards, Witches, and Magicians are true!
    Why Magick?

Spirituality. Many people today, from Easern and Westren spiritual traditions, are claiming to be highly spiritual. News events have shown tha tin some cases this has not been so. Still, there are many otehrs who claim that their practices and rituals, their meditations and prayers, prove their spirituality. While they may feel that they are spiritual, where is their objective proof?

We are all familiar with physical laws. No matter how how we jump, we cannot escape the effects of the law of gravity. But when we understand those laws we can work with them. We can build rockets that can exert enough power and strength to leave our Earth adn allow us to explore the Moon, our solar system, and eventually, the stars themselves.

Similarly, there are spiritiaul laws. Perhaps he most familiar of these laws is Karma. Thes law sates imply that every action done by you will eventually have repercussions on you. Do good and good will be returned toy ou. Do evil and evil will befall you. Just as the (spiritual) law of Karma is the basis for the (physical) law of thermodynamics which states that all   which states that all actions have an equal and opposite reaction, so, too, are their spiritual laws that are the basis for the physical ones. Understanding these spiritual laws will allow you to make changes in our physical world. Using the laws to cause changes is what is known as magick. Magick is more than just a deep study of spiritual sciences, magick is the proof of spirituality!

MODERN MAGICK/i>

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,042,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible