Destiny: Lost Souls by David Mack
The soldiers of Armageddon are on the march, laying waste to worlds in their passage. An audacious plan could stop them forever, but it carries risks that one starship captain is unwilling to take. For Captain Jean-Luc Picard, defending the future has never been so important, or so personal--and the wrong choice will cost him everything for which he has struggled and suffered. For Captain William Riker, that choice has already been made. Haunted by the memories of those he was forced to leave behind, he must jeopardize all that he has left in a desperate bid to save the Federation. For Captain Ezri Dax, whose impetuous youth is balanced by the wisdom of many lifetimes, the choice is a simple one: there is no going back--only forward to whatever future awaits them. But for those who, millennia ago, had no choice ... this is the hour of their final, inescapable destiny.… (more)

Star Trek Destiny #3: Lost Souls by David Mack concludes the trilogy that began with Gods of Night and continued with Mere Mortals. If you've been following along with my reviews over the last several days you'll recall that I wasn't completely blown away by the last two books and a lot was riding on the final installment. *drumroll* My faith was justified and I was not disappointed! While it did take me ages to read, I definitely enjoyed this one the most. My suspicions about the Borg were confirmed (don't worry no spoilers here!) and all of the loose ends were neatly tied up. (As in any good Star Trek episode!) It's pretty much impossible for me to go into any details about the plot of this book without completely giving away everything from the first two so if you haven't read them read no further. Essentially, Erika Hernandez has essentially joined the crew of the Aventine and the Federation is in a much better position to counteract the Borg attacks since the Caeliar's powers have adapted her to telepathically link to the hive mind and impersonate the Borg Queen. O_O Things get super serious super quick and the puzzle pieces really start to fall into place about the Borg origin. It has it all: tearful farewells, emotional death scenes, close calls, and happy reunions. I personally think this would have worked better with two books instead of the three but if wishes were horses I would definitely never have gone horseback riding. 9/10 for Lost Souls.

PS Picard finally starts to resemble himself and I like him again.

PPS I still haven't watched Nemesis but I know a key plot point and I am not happy. ( )
  AliceaP | Dec 19, 2018 |
I try to shy away from Star Trek books, since most are just so poorly written, but I tried my luck and was richly rewarded!

This entire trilogy is just awesome! It's Trek at it's best. Besides the typical trek writing, my other fear was "Oh great, another book about the borg, the Enterprise narrowly escaping and saving the day" but was pleasantly surprised that that wasn't the case (well of course to some degree it was LOL), and along the way, huge things happened that were just awesome.

If you're a sci fi fan, but leery of Trek books, give this series a shot, it's a good read! ( )
  jwilker | May 23, 2018 |

After tearing through the first two books of the Destiny trilogy I found myself bogged down in Lost Souls. Don't get me wrong, the story as a whole was great; the plot was completed and after three books we finally had closure. My main problem was, there seemed to be a little too much "fat" in the book. It looked to me like the author or publisher was more concerned about getting the all-important "trilogy" that they had no problem throwing in a bunch of filler. This story would probably have been better told by trimming all three novels and fitting everything into two.

Even with this complaint, I did greatly enjoy the plot (even though anyone could figure out what was going to happen by the end of Destiny #1, which may have been the author's intent) and David Mack doeas an excellent job telling the story. ( )
  Jamie.Kessinger | Dec 14, 2017 |
As the Federation is being systematically destroyed an unexpected ally from the past may hold the key as to the creation of the Borg and how to defeat them. A good read. ( )
  dswaddell | Jun 28, 2016 |
Fantastic book and series! I really enjoyed all three books. ( )
  navyjoe98 | Sep 18, 2014 |

Is contained in

Death closes all: but something ere the end'Some work of noble note, may yet be doneNot unbecoming men that strove with gods.Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Ulysses.
For Lerxst, G., and the Professor, who inspired me to geton with the fascination; for Bryan, whose remarkable generosity humbles me; and for Randy, who made the introductions.
It was the hardest decision William Riker had ever made.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,750,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible