Space Family Stone by Robert A Heinlein

Space Family Stone (original 1952; edition 1971)

by Robert A Heinlein

Member:justjim
Title:Space Family Stone
Authors:Robert A Heinlein
Info:New Eng. Lib. (1971), Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Your library, Science Fiction and Fantasy
Tags:Science fiction

The Rolling Stones by Robert A. Heinlein (1952)

Recently added byRazinha, SFF1928-1973, ctann, private library, LitaVore, wirkman, aprenni, grizzledgirl

Hard to figure out what Heinlein was going for on this one; part Hardy Boys, part sitcom without the laugh track (think Partridge family), part soap opera, part Hatfields/granny Clampett, with a measure of Eastern mysticism thrown in...with a Harold Ramis/Dan Ackroyd screenplay dialogue ... all wrapped in a sciency blanket. As I read his books in (mostly) the order of publication, I keep wondering when the Heinlein of fame will make an appearance. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. While I have loved everything in Heinlein's "The Scribner's juveniles" series. But this one has been the best. Unlike "Rocket Ship Galleio" this one is actually believable. I really love this old time science-fiction. It is great to see what the author for the 1950s thought of, that we already have, and what he didn't think of, that we already have. For example there is a scene where Grandma Hazel is going out for the day so she can't stay home and play Chess with the 5 year old. They, however, indicate that they could play by phone. I thought it was great, Heinleni though of cell phones and playing games on then. However before the end of the chapter we learn that he had thought of cell phones, but not of playing games on them, instead she called in her moves to him and he made the moves on a physical chess board.

The story of the Martian Flat cat was so similar to the "Trouble With Tribbles" we would see 15 years later, I can't imagine that Roddenberry hadn't read The Rolling Stones.

I laughed a lot, I even cried a little when it appeared my favorite character had died. The "Full Cast Audio" is freaking amazing in "cinematography." I encourage you to follow on the foot steps of the Space family Stone and their journey from Luna to Mars and then to make their fortune mining the asteroids. There is real math, or at least what looks like real math, there is family dynamics, really I think this book is great and don't want to give away anymore than I already have. ( )
  fulner | Feb 13, 2017 |
blase, too much ‘technical figuring’ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Teenaged twins Castor and Pollux Stone cajole their father into buying a space ship, and the entire family goes on a trip around the galaxy. But Castor and Pollux repeatedly end up in trouble with their schemes to make a fortune on distant planets.

This is a hard book for me to review, so I'll keep it short. I've only read one other book by Heinlein, A Stranger in a Strange Land, and that was as a teenager, so I expected something a bit more serious and meaningful in this book. Is this what pulp is? I've only read one pulp-fiction book, A Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs, so I'm very inexperienced with the genre. It took me a while to get over the cheese. But I recognize that when you're reading a book that was written in a style foreign to you, it's better to view the book within its context rather than comparing it to your usual type. And after I approached the book from this perspective, I began to really enjoy the humor and even became emotionally invested in the characters. I wouldn't say I highly recommend this book, but I enjoyed my second pulp experience. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Jan 25, 2016 |
This was fun. The narrator was perfect for the part. He made it feel even more like I was reading about the smarter, more efficient and sciency Jetsons, in space. There was enough hard science for the hard sci-fi fans and enough witty banter for everyone else. Would love to see a movie or tv show adaptation of this. It definitely left me wonder if flat cats inspired tribbles or vice versa. ( )
  ragwaine | Dec 27, 2015 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davis, Gorden CCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eggleton, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geary, CliffordCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, Steve A.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For LUCKY and DOC and BARBARA
THE UNHEAVENLY TWINS - The two brothers stood looking the old wreck over.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034532451X, Mass Market Paperback)

When the Stone twins made up their minds to leave Lunar City in a secondhand spaceship, they hadn't planned on having their whole family accompany them. But the Stones were not your ordinary Lunar family -- no way! -- and their voyage through the solar system sure proved it.

What began as a simple business expedition to Mars soon mushroomed into a dangerous situation when Grandma Stone was lost in space. Then, just when everything seemed to be getting better, a Martian flatcat came aboard and fouled up the works.

But the real trouble didn't get underway until the Stones headed for the asteroid belt to take up a mining proposition they, somehow, couldn't refuse . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:45 -0400)

Though it doesn't seem likely for twins to have the same middle name, it's clear that Castor and Pollux Stone both have 'Trouble' in that spot on their birth certificates. Anyone who's met their grandmother Hazel will know they came by it honestly.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,485,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible