The Westing Game (1978)

by Ellen Raskin

9,366288557 (4.11)2 / 280
The mysterious death of an eccentric millionaire brings together an unlikely assortment of heirs who must uncover the circumstances of his death before they can claim their inheritance.
    From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (infiniteletters, Anonymous user)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (chinquapin)
    The Maze of Bones (39 Clues, No. 1) by Rick Riordan (cmbohn)
    Father's Arcane Daughter by E. L. Konigsburg (ansate)
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (trollsdotter)
    The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (g33kgrrl)
    The Clock Without a Face by Eli Horowitz (sduff222)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    The Spider-Orchid by Celia Fremlin (sietsmareadinglist)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (SFRFS335)
    SFRFS335: Both books are amazingly written.

My mon been trying to get me to read this for years, saying this is a challenging mystery that worth it. Finlly read it in ninth grade to get it over with. It is an interesting read however, I mange to solve the mystery in the first few chapters. Only contained reading to see if I right. I wouldn't say it boring. It lack some of the cleverness of a good mystery.

Over all it is an easy mystery with bombs, injuries, and parties. Oh sooo boring! People who say this, their a place for you where they throw away the keys and you will never see daylight. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |

AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
It’s cataloged as Young Adult but those that are just “young at heart” will find plenty about it to enjoy. Many readers will remember having read it in their younger days. I didn’t have that added pleasure since I don’t believe it was ever chiseled in stone:) I can’t remember when I have had so much fun with a book. The author has managed to blended a superb mystery… that is actually more a puzzle than a novel…and endow it with a vivid and extensive cast of characters that sets the stage for the fun and well told story that follows. I loved those last few pages when time suddenly speeds up and we learn what happens to the children as they grow up… and about the deaths of the older characters who were already adults when the story started. Overall I would have to say that it is just one fun read to be enjoyed by not only teens and “tweens”, but also by the lingering child in all of us. ( )
1 vote Carol420 | Aug 17, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
The book seems to suggest that the real American inheritance is transformation, and that American transformation is a mercurial thing.

Ultimately, although the story is an exciting who-done-it, the emphasis on the ‘who’ is what keeps readers coming back. The characters make the story interesting, and they make the reader think, and that is exactly what a powerful book should do.

If Raskin's crazy ingenuity has threatened to run away with her on previous occasions, here the complicated game is always perfectly meshed with character and story. Confoundingly clever, and very funny.

Ellen Raskinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Durell, AnnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summerer, Eric MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jenny who asked for a puzzle-mystery and Susan K.
The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east. Strange!
Clues, they had to work on those clues. Behind closed doors. Whisper, someone may be listening.
Remember: It is not what you have, it's what you don't have that counts.
A dressmaker, a secretary, an inventor, a doctor, a judge. And, oh yes, one was a bookie, one was a burglar, one was a bomber, and one was a mistake.
Purple waves.
“Take stock in America, my heirs, and sing in praise of this generous land. You, too, may strike it rich who dares to play the Westing game.”

Sixteen people were invited to the reading of the very strange will of the very rich Samuel W. Westing. They could become millionaires, depending on how they played the game.

The not-quite-perfect heirs were paired, and each pair was given $ 10,000 and a set of clues (no two sets of clues were alike). All they had to do was find the answer, but the answer to what?

The Westing game was tricky and dangerous, but the heirs played on, through blizzards and burglaries and bombs bursting in air. And one of them won!

With her own special blend of intricacy, humor, and upside-down perceptions, Ellen Raskin has entangled a remarkable cast of characters in a puzzle-knotted, word-twisting plot. She then deftly unravels it again in a surprising (but fair) and highly satisfying ending.

Available online at The Internet Archive:
Would you play a game

against a dead man for a

large inheritance?

(legallypuzzled)
Was Sam Westing killed

By one of his sixteen heirs

Looking for windfall?

(benscripps)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,720,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible