The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

The Westing Game (1978)

by Ellen Raskin

8,221266614 (4.12)2 / 245
    From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (infiniteletters, Anonymous user)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery by Alan Bradley (chinquapin)
    The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (cmbohn)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (trollsdotter)
    The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (g33kgrrl)
    Father's Arcane Daughter by E. L. Konigsburg (ansate)
    The Clock Without a Face by Eli Horowitz (sduff222)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    The Spider-Orchid by Celia Fremlin (sietsmareadinglist)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (SFRFS335)
    SFRFS335: Both books are amazingly written.

Great book that keeps you on your toes the whole time! ( )
  Taylor.Loose | Apr 10, 2019 |
The Westing Game is a Newbery winning novel that has been a traditional read in many schools. The mystery withstands the test of time, even with a few elements that show the age of the novel. Solving the mystery within the novel is appealing to young readers and YA as well. Reading about the background and the writing process that Raskin went through to develop the novel enhances the text and the reading experience. ( )
  bwheatley | Mar 27, 2019 |
I think I read this when I was a kid sometime in the early 80s. I certainly bought this edition for my kids thinking that I had read it when I was a kid. But beyond a vague fondness, I couldn't remember anything about it. I decided a few months ago to take it from my kids' shelf and add it to my TBR thinking it would make a nice amuse bouche between more serious literary fare. Then in the last couple of weeks, I read that the heroine of buzzy book, My Absolute Darling, was called Turtle just like the heroine of The Westing Game. having ordered the new book, I thought it would be a good time to try this one (again?).

The Westing Game is an outstanding puzzle book, a delicious whodunnit and a fairly melancholy story of regret and disappointment. That it all comes together in the guise of a children's book is a tremendous feat of authorial excellence. I read this in an afternoon and had about as much fun with as many tears as anything I've ever read. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
This is a fantastic book in the mystery and crime genre for elementary students to read. The reason this book is fantastic is in part do to its many well developed characters and relationships. The plot is about a group of people who become tenants in a new building only to find out they are all heirs to Sam Westing's fortune and that it was their job to solve his murder. Whoever solves the murder would be the one to receive the inheritance. It is a fantastic read that has so many plot twists and turns that it keeps reader's interested, and constantly attuned to every detail of the book hoping they can solve it first. This is a great book to be able to teach students so many aspects of ELA. I think some of the most impactful topics it can cover include, Character traits, inferences, foreshadowing, alternative writing styles, and reading strategies. The way the book is written there are constant changes on the plot and clues hidden in the book that help with teaching inferences and foreshadow. The book also doesn't have a singular main character as all the characters with a few exceptions are equal to the plot but there is slight focus on a couple characters, because of this it is really a good read for teaching students all about character traits as there are lots of characters and a ton of character development throughout the story. Because of the nature of the book some of the clues are fully written into the text of the book and the layout as well is where the alternative writing styles and perhaps their effects and effectiveness for the book can be analyzed, and also covers the opportunity to teach reading strategies to handle books with different writing styles. overall it is a great book for several purposes as a teacher and it is a fun and engaging read for students.
  JettThomas | Mar 9, 2019 |
A clever, engrossing and funny mystery and a good introduction to the genre for young readers. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |

Ellen Raskinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Durell, AnnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summerer, Eric MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jenny who asked for a puzzle-mystery and Susan K.
The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east. Strange!
Clues, they had to work on those clues. Behind closed doors. Whisper, someone may be listening.
Remember: It is not what you have, it's what you don't have that counts.

Sixteen people were invited to the reading of the very strange will of the very rich Samuel W. Westing. They could become millionaires, depending on how they played the game.

The not-quite-perfect heirs were paired, and each pair was given $ 10,000 and a set of clues (no two sets of clues were alike). All they had to do was find the answer, but the answer to what?

The Westing game was tricky and dangerous, but the heirs played on, through blizzards and burglaries and bombs bursting in air. And one of them won!

With her own special blend of intricacy, humor, and upside-down perceptions, Ellen Raskin has entangled a remarkable cast of characters in a puzzle-knotted, word-twisting plot. She then deftly unravels it again in a surprising (but fair) and highly satisfying ending.

Would you play a game

against a dead man for a

large inheritance?

(legallypuzzled)
Was Sam Westing killed

By one of his sixteen heirs

Looking for windfall?

(benscripps)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014240120X, Paperback)

When an eccentric millionaire dies mysteriously, sixteen very unlikely people are gathered together for the reading of the will...and what a will it is!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

The mysterious death of an eccentric millionaire brings together an unlikely assortment of heirs who must uncover the circumstances of his death before they can claim their inheritance.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,091,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible