The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

The Westing Game (1978)

by Ellen Raskin

7,982255624 (4.12)2 / 240
    From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (infiniteletters, Anonymous user)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (chinquapin)
    The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (cmbohn)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (trollsdotter)
    The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (g33kgrrl)
    Father's Arcane Daughter by E. L. Konigsburg (ansate)
    The Clock Without a Face by Eli Horowitz (sduff222)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    The Spider-Orchid by Celia Fremlin (sietsmareadinglist)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (SFRFS335)
    SFRFS335: Both books are amazingly written.

This is one of my all-time favorite books. This book peaks the interest of most kids and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, with all of the twists and turns. I enjoy that it touches on family dynamics as well as the different kind of people in the world. ( )
  sfink6 | Sep 12, 2018 |
I loved this book. Until 2 weeks ago, I had never even heard of it, but I bought it on impulse (B&N was having a sale!), and I am so glad that I did. I was surprised that it is labeled a "Young Readers" book mainly because I thought it a bit too complex for an 8-year-old (but what do I know?). It was a little slow to start but quickly picked up. Overall, it's a fantastically entertaining mystery. ( )
  LindsTee | Sep 5, 2018 |
One of my favorite mysteries. It's satisfyingly complex, with interesting characters and an amazing plot. This is one of the books everyone really ought to read. ( )
  AnnajoJJG | Aug 14, 2018 |
I truly love this book. Its beautiful wording and fun adventure leaves you guessing each page. At the end it is a true tear jerker. Forever will love chess! ( )
  Nicole_N | Aug 3, 2018 |
For being a juvenile book it was difficult to follow the story, especially considering all the characters involved (some individuals called by multiple names) ( )
  labrick | Jul 5, 2018 |

Ellen Raskinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Durell, AnnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jenny who asked for a puzzle-mystery and Susan K.
The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east. Strange!
Clues, they had to work on those clues. Behind closed doors. Whisper, someone may be listening.
Remember: It is not what you have, it's what you don't have that counts.

Sixteen people were invited to the reading of the very strange will of the very rich Samuel W. Westing. They could become millionaires, depending on how they played the game.

The not-quite-perfect heirs were paired, and each pair was given $ 10,000 and a set of clues (no two sets of clues were alike). All they had to do was find the answer, but the answer to what?

The Westing game was tricky and dangerous, but the heirs played on, through blizzards and burglaries and bombs bursting in air. And one of them won!

With her own special blend of intricacy, humor, and upside-down perceptions, Ellen Raskin has entangled a remarkable cast of characters in a puzzle-knotted, word-twisting plot. She then deftly unravels it again in a surprising (but fair) and highly satisfying ending.

Would you play a game

against a dead man for a

large inheritance?

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014240120X, Paperback)

When an eccentric millionaire dies mysteriously, sixteen very unlikely people are gathered together for the reading of the will...and what a will it is!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

The mysterious death of an eccentric millionaire brings together an unlikely assortment of heirs who must uncover the circumstances of his death before they can claim their inheritance.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible