The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

The Westing Game (original 1978; edition 1997)

by Ellen Raskin

6,668222563 (4.16)2 / 188
Member:megaden
Title:The Westing Game
Authors:Ellen Raskin
Info:Puffin (1997), Edition: REP REI, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (1978)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (infiniteletters)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (chinquapin)
    The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (cmbohn)
    The Clock Without a Face by Eli Horowitz (sduff222)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    The Spider-Orchid by Celia Fremlin (sietsmareadinglist)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (SFRFS335)
    SFRFS335: Both books are amazingly written.

The Westing Game is a book about a game that Samuel Westing created. 16 heirs, one mission, to win. One of the heirs has an addiction to bombs, one loves to design, one is from a different country and doesn't know English and steals stuff, one is the former wife of Sam Westing, and two own restaurants in the Sunset Towers, where all of Sam Westing's heirs live. Turtle creeps into the Westing House at night and sees the body of Sam Westing! Later in the book, Turtle describes the body to Judge J. J. Ford, telling her that the body almost seemed like a wax dummy. I loved the book because the suspense was so high! I like it also because they kept the secret so well hidden. ( )
  Aliceshah | Apr 30, 2016 |
This is another one of those indescribable books. A wealthy man, somewhat eccentric and in my view egotistical, creates a game for 16 potential heirs. The plot is complicated. You have to listen to a lot of bad theories and still try to figure out your own, but the characters are beautiful and redeeming, which makes it worth it. It's not really a beautiful words book, but the final scenes after the game has ended are magical, particularly when Samuel says, "Turtle, tell Crow to pray for me." ( )
  CALammert | Mar 18, 2016 |
I believe this book would best be used for independent reading or group reading in an upper elementary and middle school English classroom. While reading this book, students will be able to use comprehension strategies to analyze characters, background information, and clues, recognize and interpret connections, as well as identify different literature techniques used throughout the book. While reading the book, I would have students draw a random character and take notes as new information comes into play. Before revealing the murderer, I would have the students create "wanted" posters with the information they collected, and then present them to the class acting as an attorney for their character. The "jury" would then vote on who they thought was the murderer, and after everything was completed, we would read together to reveal the final answer. This book and activity will help students make connections and draw conclusions from their readings.
  Emily.Clark | Mar 18, 2016 |
This was a reread of a book I remember fondly from childhood with my son--probably too old for him, and I suspect much of it went over his head, but he was game nonetheless. It held up well for me. Still love the characters, the setting, the fun mystery. The reading went slow (this is not a good read-aloud book), and I kept wanting to race ahead to the end. I hope my son will pick this up again when he gets older and enjoy it as much as I did as a young reader. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 6, 2016 |
Heads up: this is not a great candidate for a read-aloud to your kids. Although I enjoyed it, it is VERY intricate and there are some portions that just need to be seen to understand - Turtle's stock market trading, some of the puzzles are hard to understand without reading, etc.

I read this probably for the first time in 5th grade, and remember having fond memories of it - weirdly, I remembered VERY little about it when I went to reread it.

It's a neat puzzle, but a lot of the characters - most - are just straight-up unlikeable. It's a little paranoia-inducing.

All in all, I didn't love it upon rereading it as an adult. And my kids (9 and 5) were kind of like, huh? What happened again? So, there you go. Maybe suitable/understandable for kids a bit older, that can read it on their own. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |

Ellen Raskinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Durell, AnnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jenny who asked for a puzzle-mystery and Susan K.
The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east. Strange!
Clues, they had to work on those clues. Behind closed doors. Whisper, someone may be listening.
Remember: It is not what you have, it's what you don't have that counts.

Sixteen people were invited to the reading of the very strange will of the very rich Samuel W. Westing. They could become millionaires, depending on how they played the game.

The not-quite-perfect heirs were paired, and each pair was given $ 10,000 and a set of clues (no two sets of clues were alike). All they had to do was find the answer, but the answer to what?

The Westing game was tricky and dangerous, but the heirs played on, through blizzards and burglaries and bombs bursting in air. And one of them won!

With her own special blend of intricacy, humor, and upside-down perceptions, Ellen Raskin has entangled a remarkable cast of characters in a puzzle-knotted, word-twisting plot. She then deftly unravels it again in a surprising (but fair) and highly satisfying ending.

Would you play a game

against a dead man for a

large inheritance?

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014240120X, Paperback)

When an eccentric millionaire dies mysteriously, sixteen very unlikely people are gathered together for the reading of the will...and what a will it is!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

The mysterious death of an eccentric millionaire brings together an unlikely assortment of heirs who must uncover the circumstances of his death before they can claim their inheritance.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible