The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

The Westing Game (original 1978; edition 1997)

by Ellen Raskin

5,871198713 (4.18)2 / 158
Member:megaden
Title:The Westing Game
Authors:Ellen Raskin
Info:Puffin (1997), Edition: REP REI, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (1978)

chapter book (50) chess (44) children (74) children's (197) children's fiction (38) children's literature (75) classic (34) clues (34) fiction (548) game (27) heirs (33) humor (42) inheritance (49) juvenile (61) juvenile fiction (36) kids (33) money (33) murder (108) mystery (941) Newbery (177) Newbery Medal (233) novel (42) own (36) puzzles (87) read (89) suspense (38) to-read (42) YA (128) young adult (201) young adult fiction (32)
    From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (infiniteletters)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (chinquapin)
    The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (cmbohn)
    The Clock Without a Face by Eli Horowitz (sduff222)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    The Spider-Orchid by Celia Fremlin (sietsmareadinglist)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (SFRFS335)
    SFRFS335: Both books are amazingly written.

I liked this book. You don't find a lot of good mysteries written for young adults and this one had lots of intrigue and clue gathering. However, I teach elementary school and am always on the look out for read alouds, and this book was very complicated. The narrative switched point of view with no warning, the clues were very complicated, there's a lot of reference to laws and wills, it's definitely a middle-high level. It's also extremely dated - it would be difficult for my students to understand why the characters wouldn't just look certain facts up on the internet or why being snowed in to the apartment building would be such a big deal. ( )
  mccooln | Jun 7, 2014 |
This book had me just as hooked as it did the first time I read it for school. What a wonderful reread! ( )
  sscarllet | May 30, 2014 |
The Westing Game is a fascinating mystery story about who may have killed the millionaire, Samuel Westing. A group of very odd people are brought together for the reading of his will. Any one of them may have killed him because they all have motives. The book explores each person's character in a funny and entertaining way. I never would have guessed the ending, so I won't write it down here. No spoilers! ( )
  aleader | Apr 18, 2014 |
I have read this book more times than any other. And I keep coming back. It's a mystery, it's a strange collection of eccentrics. There are puns and wordplays and a scavenger hunt. It's a kids' book but it still works.
Sunset Towers faced East...

I love it so much. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
Sunset Towers faced East...

I love it so much. ( )
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |

Ellen Raskinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Durell, AnnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jenny who asked for a puzzle-mystery and Susan K.
The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east. Strange!
Clues, they had to work on those clues. Behind closed doors. Whisper, someone may be listening.
Remember: It is not what you have, it's what you don't have that counts.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014240120X, Paperback)

When an eccentric millionaire dies mysteriously, sixteen very unlikely people are gathered together for the reading of the will...and what a will it is!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:35 -0400)

The mysterious death of an eccentric millionaire brings together an unlikely assortment of heirs who must uncover the circumstances of his death before they can claim their inheritance.

Current discussions

JULY - SPOILERS - The Westing Game in The Green Dragon

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,528,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible