The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

The Westing Game (original 1978; edition 1997)

by Ellen Raskin

6,419209600 (4.16)2 / 181
Title:The Westing Game
Authors:Ellen Raskin
Info:Puffin (1997), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:YA fiction

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (1978)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (infiniteletters)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (chinquapin)
    The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (cmbohn)
    The Clock Without a Face by Eli Horowitz (sduff222)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    The Spider-Orchid by Celia Fremlin (sietsmareadinglist)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (SFRFS335)
    SFRFS335: Both books are amazingly written.

Reread 6/24/15 for the first time in years and years.

This is one of those rare books with an omniscient narrator--which is at turns amusing and disorienting. Raskin is a good writer, and this is a fairly diverse cast for such an old book. The mystery is also interesting and resolves satisfyingly. However, I was never able to become truly attached to any of the characters, probably in part because of the narration. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
I think I need to re-read this. I went into this with very high expectations, but there were one or two times where I didn't follow what the characters were thinking. I went back and re-read then, but... hmm. ( )
  adamwolf | Nov 24, 2015 |
16 heirs have to find the murderer of Samuel Westing. Can they do it or will they lose the inheritance or worse die themselves?

I loved this. It is well written and engaging. The mystery is good. I never saw the solution coming. I needed the explanation at the end, This is a book that needs more than one read to get all the intricacies of the mystery. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Sep 29, 2015 |
this was a good one! ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Glad to have read it. A fine middle school mystery. I must say it is NOT the best read aloud. Try reading the names "Grace Windsor Wexler" aloud 50 times in 10 minutes, and you'll understand why. My son and I enjoyed, however, the constant need to hunt backwards in the book to put the pieces together, and I think it was a good learning experience for him to see how one reads a mystery.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |

Ellen Raskinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Durell, AnnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jenny who asked for a puzzle-mystery and Susan K.
The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east. Strange!
Clues, they had to work on those clues. Behind closed doors. Whisper, someone may be listening.
Remember: It is not what you have, it's what you don't have that counts.

Sixteen people were invited to the reading of the very strange will of the very rich Samuel W. Westing. They could become millionaires, depending on how they played the game.

The not-quite-perfect heirs were paired, and each pair was given $ 10,000 and a set of clues (no two sets of clues were alike). All they had to do was find the answer, but the answer to what?

The Westing game was tricky and dangerous, but the heirs played on, through blizzards and burglaries and bombs bursting in air. And one of them won!

With her own special blend of intricacy, humor, and upside-down perceptions, Ellen Raskin has entangled a remarkable cast of characters in a puzzle-knotted, word-twisting plot. She then deftly unravels it again in a surprising (but fair) and highly satisfying ending.

Would you play a game

against a dead man for a

large inheritance?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014240120X, Paperback)

When an eccentric millionaire dies mysteriously, sixteen very unlikely people are gathered together for the reading of the will...and what a will it is!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

The mysterious death of an eccentric millionaire brings together an unlikely assortment of heirs who must uncover the circumstances of his death before they can claim their inheritance.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible