The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

The Westing Game (original 1978; edition 1997)

by Ellen Raskin

6,337207619 (4.16)2 / 175
Member:tamarajp
Title:The Westing Game
Authors:Ellen Raskin
Info:Puffin (1997), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:YA fiction

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (1978)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (infiniteletters)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (chinquapin)
    The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (cmbohn)
    The Clock Without a Face by Eli Horowitz (sduff222)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    The Spider-Orchid by Celia Fremlin (sietsmareadinglist)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (SFRFS335)
    SFRFS335: Both books are amazingly written.

this was a good one! ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Glad to have read it. A fine middle school mystery. I must say it is NOT the best read aloud. Try reading the names "Grace Windsor Wexler" aloud 50 times in 10 minutes, and you'll understand why. My son and I enjoyed, however, the constant need to hunt backwards in the book to put the pieces together, and I think it was a good learning experience for him to see how one reads a mystery.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
In the rating game, I moved between 1 and 3 stars, settling on 3 before it could fall back to 2 where it was headed. I almost abandoned it twice.

Before the Internet, I'd never known anyone not related to me with the same last name as mine but now I've discovered it's not so rare. Because of writers in my family, I've seen parts of my life and those of my family fictionalized to various degrees but this book was the first time I've run across a character who shared my last name. That may have been the narcissistic push that got us to 3 stars.

I enjoy a good mystery and a good puzzle. I enjoy a good game. I prefer books with actual humans as characters, though, rather than the chess pieces being moved around in this one. I say this as someone who enjoys playing chess. Also, I guessed some of the puzzles too early. I did appreciate some of the others. I could say more but they'd just be spoilers and, if you're going to read this, the fewer spoilers the better. ( )
  Gimley_Farb | Jul 6, 2015 |
I liked this mystery. It was complex and the ending was unexpected. ( )
  rebeccar76 | Jun 24, 2015 |
This is an enjoyable mystery. I didn't figure anything out on my own: who is the thief, the bomber, the mistake, the murderer, etc. The characters are mostly likeable, even the ones that don't act likeable most of the time. Turtle is a great character and made the story for me. ( )
  mainrun | Apr 2, 2015 |

Ellen Raskinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Durell, AnnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jenny who asked for a puzzle-mystery and Susan K.
The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east. Strange!
Clues, they had to work on those clues. Behind closed doors. Whisper, someone may be listening.
Remember: It is not what you have, it's what you don't have that counts.

Sixteen people were invited to the reading of the very strange will of the very rich Samuel W. Westing. They could become millionaires, depending on how they played the game.

The not-quite-perfect heirs were paired, and each pair was given $ 10,000 and a set of clues (no two sets of clues were alike). All they had to do was find the answer, but the answer to what?

The Westing game was tricky and dangerous, but the heirs played on, through blizzards and burglaries and bombs bursting in air. And one of them won!

With her own special blend of intricacy, humor, and upside-down perceptions, Ellen Raskin has entangled a remarkable cast of characters in a puzzle-knotted, word-twisting plot. She then deftly unravels it again in a surprising (but fair) and highly satisfying ending.

Would you play a game

against a dead man for a

large inheritance?

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014240120X, Paperback)

When an eccentric millionaire dies mysteriously, sixteen very unlikely people are gathered together for the reading of the will...and what a will it is!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

The mysterious death of an eccentric millionaire brings together an unlikely assortment of heirs who must uncover the circumstances of his death before they can claim their inheritance.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,019,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible