Horus rising : the seeds of heresy are sown…

Horus rising : the seeds of heresy are sown (edition 2006)

by Dan Abnett

Member:edvind
Title:Horus rising : the seeds of heresy are sown
Authors:Dan Abnett
Info:Nottingham : Black Library, 2006.
Tags:Science fiction, warhammer 40.000, Horus heresy 1

Horus Rising: The Seeds of Heresy Are Sown by Dan Abnett

False Gods: The Heresy Takes Root by Graham McNeill (leigonj)
    leigonj: False Gods is a direct sequel to Horus Rising, with the same characters and continuing the same story arc.

English (12)  Swedish (1)  All (13)
Earlier this year, I had written that I was done with Warhammer 40,000 literature for a while. I had certainly more than satisfied the appetite for "lore" that was first instilled in me by playing Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game. But I recently got my hands on the game Forbidden Stars, a much larger-scale affair of conquering multiple star systems in the WH40K setting. Thus inspired, I returned to the novels, this time picking up with the start of the interminable "Horus Heresy" series. It was much better than I expected it to be, and I read through it quickly.

The saga appears to be the history of the origin of the Chaos Space Marines, covering events centuries prior to the game setting, and this first volume precedes even that. It presents the Warmaster Horus in his glory as Primarch and chief envoy of the Emperor of Mankind, mostly as seen by the straight-arrow Space Marine Captain Garviel Loken, a leader within the Warmaster's own Luna Wolves legion. The mystical veneration of the Emperor, so well-established in the game setting, takes a nascent, clandestine form in this book. Also of great interest to me was the depiction of an unsanctioned system of Masonic-style lodges within the Space Marine legions.

The book is divided into three parts, each addressing a different world where Horus and the Luna Wolves conduct warfare and/or diplomacy. There is an isolated human civilization that believes itself to be the original Solar System, a planet of hostile arthropod "Megarachnids," and a human-led, mixed-species "interex" that spans a swath of star systems. I do have the next book of the series--in a box somewhere. I'll read it when it turns up.
1 vote paradoxosalpha | Dec 21, 2016 |
While a very action packed, gruesome story, I kept waiting for the Heresy" to show itself, and it never did.

Also, logistics. A space force that is dealing with at least 3 different forms of humanity would not have integrated walkways/doorways/whatever for all 3 subspecies, it simply would be cost prohibitive.

And every bloody "hero" is always godlike, or nearly godlike. I felt like I was reading the Iliad or something. Frack that..." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I have to thank one of my lifelong friends for hooking me on this universe. The inner geek in me ate this one up, and I see potential for viewing this series of books as far superior to what I used to read in my Star Wars reading days. As my friend said, "This is not Jar-Jar's universe", and aptly put. This deals with literally universal war, and it is not pretty, but there's a real element and characters more identifiable to readers than anything Star Wars could ever produce. Bottom line: 30000 to 40000 years in the future, mankind has evolved on Terra to venture out across the galaxy to exterminate any and all who are not subservient to them or of similar genetic make-up. Yes, gruesome, but it hits the reader with brutal honesty than cannot be ignored in a science fiction tale. I cannot wait to start absorbing the infinite possibilities this genre could make. ( )
  utbw42 | Aug 30, 2013 |
The best (so far) of the Horus Heresy series. Well placed in the dark and labyrinth Warhammer 40k universe and plants the (motivational) seeds for the rebellion of Horus Lupercal. It is a shame the later books/authors eshewed Abnett's psychological exploration of the turn to Chaos and went for big explosions instead. ( )
  CountFenring | Aug 22, 2010 |
Had my eye on this one for ages, but just wasn't sure about it. It's had some fantastic reviews, but Warhammer for me always equalled greasy teenage boys with no girlfriends. And my verdict? A real mixed bag. In parts it was really unexpectedly good, but in reality I can't really rate it highly in relation to all the other quality sci-fi novels out there. I think if you come to it thinking 'it's Warhammer, it's going to be rough', you'll be pleasantly surprised...but if you read all the rave reviews and pick it up expecting to be amazed...you're only going to be disappointed.

It's alright. ( )
  crackberrybooks | Jan 27, 2010 |
For Rick Priestley, John Blanche and Alan Merrett
Architects of the Imperium.

Thanks to Graham McNeill and Ben Counter, to Nik and Lindsey, and to Geoff Davis and GW Maidstone.
'I was there,' he would say afterwards, until afterwards became a time quite devoid of laughter.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 184416294X, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the launch title in an amazing new series that tells the incredible story of the Horus Heresy, the civil war that almost tore the Warhammer 40,000 universe apart. Penned by the Black Library's best-selling authors, the Horus Heresy range will pull no punches, dealing with classic themes of honour, duty and betrayal in a unique SF setting. After thousands of years of expansion and conquest, the human Imperium is at its height. His dream for humanity accomplished, the Emperor hands over the reins of power to his Warmaster, Horus, and heads back to Terra. But is Horus strong enough to control his fellow commanders and continue the Emperor's grand design, or will such incredible power corrupt him?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:30 -0400)

After thousands of years of expansion and conquest, the imperium of man is at its height. His dream for humanity nearly accomplished, the emperor hands over the reins of power to his warmaster, Horus, and heads back to Terra. But is Horis strong enough to control his fellow commanders and continue the emperor's grand design?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,478,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible