The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine…

The Great Gilly Hopkins (1978)

by Katherine Paterson

2,256None2,831 (3.8)31
    Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)
    Tracking Daddy Down by Marybeth Kelsey (WisteriaLeigh)
    WisteriaLeigh: Conversational dialog of main female character is sassy and witty. Both writers have created memorable well defined characters.

English (65)  Dutch (1)  All languages (66)
In my opinion, this was a great book. It was a book that I was able to read in one sitting because it kept my attention and made me want to keep reading more. The author did an excellent job making sure the characters were well developed along with the plot. You can tell that Gilly is mad at the world and has anger built up inside of her and is taking it out on everyone. You start to feel for Gilly as she explains that she just wants to be with her real mother and that is her goal throughout the story. You get a sense of family in the book as Miss Trotter treats Gilly like her own even if Gilly is resisting. I liked that by the end of the book you see Gilly transform into a completely different person. She bonds with her foster brother by teaching him to read and fight, but also takes care of her entire foster family when they are sick. This is not something you could imagine her doing in the beginning so the author does a good job transitioning her into a new person. It helps you relate to Gilly and understand her as a character so that you can become more attached to the book. The way the author ended the story made me mad at first, but then it made me love the book even more. We expected a happy ending since Gilly ended up with her real grandmother and met her mother, but that was not the case. It catches you off guard, but teaches you that not all stories have a happy ending, which was a part of the big idea. The other part of the big idea was that dreams are sometimes better than reality. Also that we take things for granted and sometimes don’t realize until its too late. ( )
  SaraColvin | Mar 27, 2014 |
In my opinion this was a great book. I loved this book for a few different reasons. One reason being that the author wrote the book in such a way that you could see the progression of how Gilly transformed. In the beginning of the book the author portrayed Gilly as an angry resentful child, because she lacked love, but as the story progressed you were able to see how Gilly was becoming a loving young lady, because of how she connected to Trotter, William Ernest, and Mr. Randolph. I also enjoyed this book, because it had a playful side, while addressing a serious topic. The author added playfulness by Gilly’s thoughts, such as when her thoughts were about Trotter being fat. The immature thoughts Gilly had brought humor, but also helped to show the immaturity and anger of Gilly.
The main message of this book was to introduce the reader to the sensitive topic of foster children, and some of the struggles they battle throughout their life. ( )
  CassandraQuigley | Mar 24, 2014 |
I enjoyed this chapter book. I really enjoyed Gilly’s thoughts in her head throughout the story and the way the author expressed those thoughts. For example, when Trotter was talking to the principal at Gilly’s new school, Gilly thought to herself ‘Shut up Trotter’. It helped the audience understand what Gilly was thinking at all times. I also liked the characters in the story and how they are all portrayed through not only the author’s point of view, but also Gilly’s point of view. The main message of this story is that you never know how good you have it until it is gone. ( )
  lpicke2 | Mar 24, 2014 |
I've loved this book for years for its honest depiction of a girl in foster care, but I never knew it was a frequently banned book! Apparently this book has been banned in a similar manner as Huckleberry Finn, on account of a racist character. Gilly Hopkins is racist, but this trait is not glorified. Instead it shocks the other characters and is constantly discouraged throughout the book. This trait is also crucial to Gilly's character. She's so angry with her situation that she's a bully and racist in order to feel superior to someone. Ultimately she learns to accept others as she slowly starts valuing herself. Parents and teachers can use this book to teach about racism and the less common reason it may persist. I find it unfortunate this book is challenged by people who clearly haven't read the book to see how the racism is used.
  Megs_Scrambled | Mar 9, 2014 |
"The Great Gilly Hopkins" by Katherine Paterson is a great story of a young girl, Gilly, who is moved around from one foster home to another. I think that she is scared on the inside and just wants someone to be there to guide and protect her. Gilly wants to control every situation that she is in so that she seems like the bigger one in the household. When she comes home from school Trotter, her foster mother, offers her a snack. Although Gilly may have been hungry she ignores Trotter and runs up to her room and slams the door behind her. Gilly doesn't want to seem vulernable to anyone. I also enjoyed how I could feel the emotions Gilly was feeling throughout the story in the text. When Agnes, a girl from Gilly's class, wants to hang out with her Gilly is annoyed. The reader is able to be inside of GIlly's thoughts when she says, "We? Are you kidding?" I could feel so much annoyance through that small line. I think the author did a great job of adding those small details throughout the entire story. I think that the big idea for this story is to show children that what they have now might not be their "ideal" situation but they should appreciate every minute because no one knows when it may be taken away. ( )
  laurenbutcher | Mar 8, 2014 |
One of my favorites from grade school. Despite her hatred towards her adoptive family, one of my favorite Gilly moments is where she teaches WE (the little boy) to stand up for himself by saying "Get the hell outta my way!"
I would recommend this to anyone, regardless of the age group.
added by leedavies777 | editnew york times

Katherine Patersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berthelius, MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mary
from her real and adopted mother with love
"Gilly," said Miss Ellis with a shake of her long blonde hair toward the passenger in the back seat.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064402010, Paperback)

Gilly Hopkins is a determined-to-be-unpleasant 11-year-old foster kid who the reader can't help but like by the end. Gilly has been in the foster system all her life, and she dreams of getting back to her (as she imagines) wonderful mother. (The mother makes these longings worse by writing the occasional letter.) Gilly is all the more determined to leave after she's placed in a new foster home with a "gross guardian and a freaky kid." But she soon learns about illusions--the hard way. This Newbery Honor Book manages to treat a somewhat grim, and definitely grown-up theme with love and humor, making it a terrific read for a young reader who's ready to learn that "happy" and "ending" don't always go together. (Ages 9 to 12) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:44 -0400)

An eleven-year-old foster child tries to cope with her longings and fears as she schemes against everyone who tries to be friendly.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible