The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine…

The Great Gilly Hopkins (1978)

by Katherine Paterson

Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)
    Tracking Daddy Down by Marybeth Kelsey (WisteriaLeigh)
    WisteriaLeigh: Conversational dialog of main female character is sassy and witty. Both writers have created memorable well defined characters.

English (76)  Dutch (1)  All languages (77)
I have mixed feelings about the book The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Peterson. I enjoyed the book because of the characters within it. I think that Gilly was easy to relate to like me she has been through some hardships. This was nice seeing in a children’s book when they’re are usually meant to be all happy. She experiences a lot of losses throughout the book. She is constantly moved from place to place and doesn't really have people on her side until she moves in with Mrs. Trotter. One reason I didn't enjoy the book was the mom’s character and ending. The mom was a horrible person who left Gilly and only visited when she was paid too. I felt bad for Gilly because she had such built up dreams about her mother. I also didn't like how this book ended it was kind of disheartening. The main idea of this book is that everything happens for a reason, even if it is not what you had originally planned. It shows a different side rather than a happy ending. ( )
  EmmaBrockwell | Dec 8, 2014 |
I thought Gilly was a great book. It is about a young girl named Gilly ,who is clever, stubborn and smart at first. Her goal and what she really wants with all her heart is to go and live at her mothers house in Virginia. She goes to a new foster mom, at the beginning of the book, named Trotter and her stepson, named William Ernest. Gilly absolutely hates that family at first, but over time she has to live with them and go to school, and she figures out how smart William Ernest can really be and how nice Mrs. Trotter can really be too. Gilly loves trotter and William Ernest so much at the end of the book, that she can't bear to leave them, because her grandmother is coming to take her to her house.( Gilly shows does she does not want to go.) I thought that Gilly ended horribly because she ends up staying with her mother that she really doesn't want to end up with. She misses Mrs. Trotter a lot and she can't believe that her grandmother paid her mom to come. She sends William Ernest lies about her grandmother when she's at her grandmothers house just to make him feel better. I think that shows that she loves him. I think the start of the book and the middle of the book are great and it makes you feel like your Gilly,(and having the hard moments at school or at home.) This book was great about how Gilly changes and I think it is a great book for learning what you can do if you're really angry. ( )
  Karra.MCDS | Nov 12, 2014 |
(5.3)
  mshampson | Nov 1, 2014 |
I loved this book for many reasons. One, the plot was very powerful. The book is about a foster child named, Gilly. Gilly is a very spirited, rebellious girl who has been moved around from home to home, her entire life. Gilly finally gets placed in a foster home with a woman named Ms. Trotter. Ms. Trotter is one of the best foster moms in the system. Although she was placed in a good home, Gilly was still interested in meeting/being with her biological mother, Courtney. Although she realizes later in the book that Courtney is not a good person. But, anyway…. Gilly tried to run away to see her. When Gilly got caught and the cops had to get involved, Trotter lovingly came to the station to get her. Gilly was then forced to go live with her grandparents and this was the moment when Gilly realized that she wanted to be with Trotter because she knew she truly cared about her. I also loved the book because you could feel every emotion the characters were feeling which made the book very intriguing and easy to read. It was very hard to put the book down!! Gilly always kept thing exciting so I was always interested to see what she was going to do next. The message of the book was to stay strong. Gilly had to endure so much as a child but she eventually ended up right where she needed to be. The story also gives hope to those children in the foster care system. ( )
  molliewaugh | Oct 18, 2014 |
In my opinion this was an excellent book. The book was about a foster child, Gilly Hopkins, who did not have a steady home for all of her life. Finally, Gilly comes across a home where she is wanted, but Gilly’s attitude towards that family is bad. As a result, Gilly goes looking for her mother, but is very disappointed when she finally meets her. She ends up getting forced to live with her grandmother and not with the family that really cares about her. I liked this book because of the plot. There was a clear conflict of Gilly being wanted and finding her home. The story was suspenseful because you did not know what would happen next for Gilly. The pace of the book was also very good and it was a book that could not be put down. A second thing I liked about this book was that it pushed readers to think about tough issues. Gilly was a foster child and her life was not easy. It was easy to feel sad for Gilly and hope that she found happiness. The big idea of this book was acceptance. Gilly was unable to accept her life without her mother in it. She learned the hard way that she should have accepted Trotter and William Ernest because they actually cared about her, where he mother did not and was a huge disappointment to Gilly. ( )
1 vote AllisonStrait | Oct 16, 2014 |
One of my favorites from grade school. Despite her hatred towards her adoptive family, one of my favorite Gilly moments is where she teaches WE (the little boy) to stand up for himself by saying "Get the hell outta my way!"
I would recommend this to anyone, regardless of the age group.
added by leedavies777 | editnew york times

Katherine Patersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berthelius, MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mary
from her real and adopted mother with love
"Gilly," said Miss Ellis with a shake of her long blonde hair toward the passenger in the back seat.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064402010, Paperback)

Gilly Hopkins is a determined-to-be-unpleasant 11-year-old foster kid who the reader can't help but like by the end. Gilly has been in the foster system all her life, and she dreams of getting back to her (as she imagines) wonderful mother. (The mother makes these longings worse by writing the occasional letter.) Gilly is all the more determined to leave after she's placed in a new foster home with a "gross guardian and a freaky kid." But she soon learns about illusions--the hard way. This Newbery Honor Book manages to treat a somewhat grim, and definitely grown-up theme with love and humor, making it a terrific read for a young reader who's ready to learn that "happy" and "ending" don't always go together. (Ages 9 to 12) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:44 -0400)

An eleven-year-old foster child tries to cope with her longings and fears as she schemes against everyone who tries to be friendly.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,459,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible