The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine…

The Great Gilly Hopkins (1978)

by Katherine Paterson

Recently added bynewsandy, lockecol, private library, marypca, violistpm, KimSalyers, candice-griff, prakash.s
    Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)
    Tracking Daddy Down by Marybeth Kelsey (WisteriaLeigh)
    WisteriaLeigh: Conversational dialog of main female character is sassy and witty. Both writers have created memorable well defined characters.

English (123)  Dutch (1)  All languages (124)
Tough foster kid Gilly is not interested in making friends when she is placed in a new home. All she wants, all she's wanted her whole life, is for her mother to come for her -- or for her, Gilly, to find some way of getting to her mother. Will Gilly find a way to make her dreams come true -- or will foster mother Mamie Trotter be able to win Gilly over to a different idea of family?

I had read this before, but it's been at least ten years. This time, I listened to the audiobook. I had forgotten that this book is, in its own way, nearly as emotionally evocative as Bridge to Terabithia. Gilly is a complex and initially unlikable character, judgmental and racist, and her development over the course of the story is impressive. ( )
  foggidawn | Oct 14, 2016 |
Calling Gilly Hopkins a hand-full would be an understatement to say the least. Gilly is a foster child and when she is placed in her new foster home, she can't believe what she's faced with. She, the Great Gilly Hopkins, is expected to deal with a moronic foster mom, a strange foster brother, and a blind, black guy from next door. At first, Gilly can't wait for the day her birth mother learns of the horrors she's facing and comes to rescue here. After a while, Gilly finds herself attached to the odd little family she's landed with. In this story about growing up, realizing the things you have, and understanding the facts of life, readers watch as Gilly grows from an angry foster child to a loving little girl. ( )
  tmoore3 | May 3, 2016 |
The Great Gilly Hopkins is a really great book. I love that you can clearly see the development of Gilly throughout the book. She transforms from an angry, stubborn, malicious child to a child who is very kind and caring. I also thought it was great because it not only highlights the troubles that foster kids face, but it also shows Gilly’s change of heart when she realizes Mrs. Trotter is the has become the mother she never realized she needed. The ending of the book is not like most that end with a happily ever after, it is more realistic because unfortunately Gilly does not get what she wants. The message I got from this story was that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover—in this case, you shouldn’t judge a person before getting to know them. I think that this book would be considered a contemporary realistic fiction book because situations like the ones in this book can very well happen. Overall I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a very emotional read and really pulls at the reader’s emotions. ( )
  Morgan.McDaniel | Mar 22, 2016 |
The Great Gilly Hopkins is an amazing book. I love how believable Gilly’s character is. For example, Gilly spends most of her time making life hard for her foster family because her birth mother leads her to believe she wants her. There’s a moment in the book where Gillly breaks down and tells her mom via a picture that she would be good for her and begs her to take her back. If I were in that situation, I would probably act the same way. You the hurt that she feels is very obvious and very real. Furthermore, I love how Gilly develops throughout the book as a crooked, mean girl to someone who actually cares about and takes care of her foster family. I also really like how engaging the story is y leaving surprises in the book. For example, the racial issues that come up, like Mr. Randolph coming to dinner or being afraid the black kids were smarter than are, are surprising because that’s not what the story is about but they the book more interesting. Lastly I really like how the book pushes readers to think about the true meaning of family.is it biology or is it emotion? I think Katherine Paterson did an amazing job of asking and answering that question in this book. ( )
  MayaKenner | Mar 22, 2016 |
The Great Gilly Hopkins is a great book. I like the strong characterization of Gilly. She is stubborn and tough, and that is shown through her actions. For example, when Gilly is moved to her new home she starts to cry but does not allow Trotter to see her. Gilly is a very relatable character which makes the book more intriguing. I also like that the author does not give this story a happy ending. Unfortunately, Gilly has to live with her grandmother and not Trotter. Her mother is not the woman that Gilly thought she would be. This helps to support the main idea, that you must learn to make the best of your situation. ( )
  jgreen87 | Mar 21, 2016 |
One of my favorites from grade school. Despite her hatred towards her adoptive family, one of my favorite Gilly moments is where she teaches WE (the little boy) to stand up for himself by saying "Get the hell outta my way!"
I would recommend this to anyone, regardless of the age group.
added by leedavies777 | editnew york times

Katherine Patersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berthelius, MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mary
from her real and adopted mother with love
"Gilly," said Miss Ellis with a shake of her long blonde hair toward the passenger in the back seat.
Then she printed on the front of the card: They're saying "Black is Beautiful" but the best that I can figger is everyone whose saying so looks mightily like and on the inside of the card she wrote: a person with a vested interest in maintaining this point of view.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064402010, Paperback)

Gilly Hopkins is a determined-to-be-unpleasant 11-year-old foster kid who the reader can't help but like by the end. Gilly has been in the foster system all her life, and she dreams of getting back to her (as she imagines) wonderful mother. (The mother makes these longings worse by writing the occasional letter.) Gilly is all the more determined to leave after she's placed in a new foster home with a "gross guardian and a freaky kid." But she soon learns about illusions--the hard way. This Newbery Honor Book manages to treat a somewhat grim, and definitely grown-up theme with love and humor, making it a terrific read for a young reader who's ready to learn that "happy" and "ending" don't always go together. (Ages 9 to 12) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:37 -0400)

An eleven-year-old foster child tries to cope with her longings and fears as she schemes against everyone who tries to be friendly.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,687,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible