The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid…

The Indian in the Cupboard (1980)

by Lynne Reid Banks

Series: Indian in the Cupboard (Book 1)

a boy receives a new Indian toy. He leaves the toy inside the cupboard then later finds the Indian alive. ( )
  lindy_brooke | Apr 12, 2016 |
Media: acrylic THis is a good example of a children's chapter book because of the break down with which this story is told. I've seen the movie version of this, and it could be a small book for an adult. I like that this takes it a bit more slowly so kids can fully embrace the magic.
  rwild13 | Apr 11, 2016 |
Omri is a young English boy that for his birthday receives a cupboard from his brother for his birthday. Seeing that it has a lock on the door, he finds a key that will work to lock it. Little does he know that the key is magical and turns little plastic figurines into real people. This is where the fun begins. His friend Patrick gives him his Indian for his birthday and that's what he puts in the cupboard. This turns out to be the best gift for him.

I have to say that I went reading this book with an open mind. I had never saw the movie or read the book so I thought what time then now to read it as I am working through some of the best children's literature that I have never read. I have to say this wasn't the best. I didn't think this book was all that great. I would be one that if I was younger I probably wouldn't have enjoyed either. It was to drawn on and for me difficult to get into. This might be different for young boys but I feel there is better literature out there for children. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
5th-8th
This book may be particularly interesting to boys of this age group. The main character is a boy as are most of the supporting characters. Also, it has to do with cowboy and Indian toys which are frequently played with by boys. ( )
  tsmith18 | Mar 16, 2016 |
I would use this as a guided reading book for 4th or 5th grade. I think it would be good as a guided reading, because there are a lot of class activities you could do from the book. The readability may also be hard for some of the students, so a guided reading would help with comprehension. I would do compare/contrast activities between the cowboy (Boone) and the Indian (Little Bear). After reading the story, I would show the movie and also have the students do a compare/contrast activity. There is a lot of foreshadowing in the story as well. There is also a lot of rich vocabulary words in the story that I would add to our word wall, and use context clues to help the students discover the definitions. ( )
  ewhite06 | Mar 7, 2016 |
… The book objectifies American Indians and is replete with stereotypical attitudes. Little Bear, the Indian, speaks "Hollywood Indian," for example, "`You touch, I kill,' the Indian growled ferociously." Although this book is popular with children and educators, its offensive treatment of American Indians makes for inappropriate reading.

Banks, Lynne Reidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Banks, Lynne ReidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cole, BrockIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacques, RobinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacques, RobinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Omri—Who Else!
It was not that Omri didn't appreciate Patrick's birthday present to him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380600129, Mass Market Paperback)

What could be better than a magic cupboard that turns small toys into living creatures? Omri's big brother has no birthday present for him, so he gives Omri an old medicine cabinet he's found. Although their mother supplies a key, the cabinet still doesn't seem like much of a present. But when an exhausted Omri dumps a plastic toy Indian into the cabinet just before falling asleep, the magic begins. Turn the key once and the toy comes alive; turn it a second time and it's an action figure again.

The Indian in the Cupboard is one of those rare books that is equally appealing to children and adults. The story of Omri and the Indian, Little Bear, is replete with subtle reminders of the responsibilities that accompany friendship and love. For kids, it's a great yarn; for most parents, it's also a reminder that Omri's wrenching decision to send his toy back to its own world is not so different from the recognition of their children's emerging independence.

The Indian in the Cupboard is also available in Spanish (La Llave Magica.) (The publisher recommends this book for children ages 9-12, although younger kids will enjoy hearing it read aloud.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:02 -0400)

A nine-year-old boy receives a plastic Indian, a cupboard, and a little key for his birthday and finds himself involved in adventure when the Indian comes to life in the cupboard and befriends him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible