The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid…

The Indian in the Cupboard (1980)

by Lynne Reid Banks

Series: Indian in the Cupboard (Book 1)

Omri is a young English boy that for his birthday receives a cupboard from his brother for his birthday. Seeing that it has a lock on the door, he finds a key that will work to lock it. Little does he know that the key is magical and turns little plastic figurines into real people. This is where the fun begins. His friend Patrick gives him his Indian for his birthday and that's what he puts in the cupboard. This turns out to be the best gift for him.

I have to say that I went reading this book with an open mind. I had never saw the movie or read the book so I thought what time then now to read it as I am working through some of the best children's literature that I have never read. I have to say this wasn't the best. I didn't think this book was all that great. I would be one that if I was younger I probably wouldn't have enjoyed either. It was to drawn on and for me difficult to get into. This might be different for young boys but I feel there is better literature out there for children. ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |

alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
I picked this book because I read great reviews and had also heard about it to. I predicted that the book would be about a toy indian that someone hid in a cupboard. I felt that it was not sad but you didn’t expect what was going to happen next. I didn’t exactly expect what I was reading. The book ¨The Indian In The Cupboard¨ was mainly about an indian called Boone and a warrior called Little Bear. The story was also about a key, a key that went to a cupboard. The key was skeleton shaped.The boys names were Omri who owned the indian and Patrick Omriś best friend. He liked to buy other little plastic figures for his indian and warrior. The setting was in Omri’s bedroom. Omri was always afraid of someone finding out about the indian. I like this book because it was a great book because it was easy to imagine and picture what was happening and what the author was writing and telling about. I liked that she created suspense to keep you wanting to read more. I recommend to read this book. It is great for nine to thirteen year olds. This book was about a plastic toy warrior and indian that became real human beingś that lived in a cupboard their names were Boone and Little Bear. Omri he is the one who feed and took care of him and he had to turn him back into plastic. This story is a classic. ( )
  SoccerSmiley | Dec 15, 2015 |
White guilt made this hard for me to read. Everything just felt so...wrong: so insulting, stereotypical, and offensive. Once I got past that, it's a rather good story with interesting characters and a thoroughly wonderful plot (a harbinger of Toy Story or a review of Where the Toys Come From). Pretty enjoyable. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 14, 2015 |
The Indian in the Cupboard is a chapter book by Lynne Banks. It follows a young boy who receives an old medicine cupboard for his birthday. He soon realizes that if he puts his toys inside it comes to life. This story highlights the need of true friendship, and understanding. This would make a great first time chapter book for third, or fourth graders. It is very kid friendly, and is a great read. This book will keep your class hooked. ( )
  cross67 | Dec 3, 2015 |
… The book objectifies American Indians and is replete with stereotypical attitudes. Little Bear, the Indian, speaks "Hollywood Indian," for example, "`You touch, I kill,' the Indian growled ferociously." Although this book is popular with children and educators, its offensive treatment of American Indians makes for inappropriate reading.

Banks, Lynne Reidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Banks, Lynne ReidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cole, BrockIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacques, RobinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacques, RobinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Omri—Who Else!
It was not that Omri didn't appreciate Patrick's birthday present to him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380600129, Mass Market Paperback)

What could be better than a magic cupboard that turns small toys into living creatures? Omri's big brother has no birthday present for him, so he gives Omri an old medicine cabinet he's found. Although their mother supplies a key, the cabinet still doesn't seem like much of a present. But when an exhausted Omri dumps a plastic toy Indian into the cabinet just before falling asleep, the magic begins. Turn the key once and the toy comes alive; turn it a second time and it's an action figure again.

The Indian in the Cupboard is one of those rare books that is equally appealing to children and adults. The story of Omri and the Indian, Little Bear, is replete with subtle reminders of the responsibilities that accompany friendship and love. For kids, it's a great yarn; for most parents, it's also a reminder that Omri's wrenching decision to send his toy back to its own world is not so different from the recognition of their children's emerging independence.

The Indian in the Cupboard is also available in Spanish (La Llave Magica.) (The publisher recommends this book for children ages 9-12, although younger kids will enjoy hearing it read aloud.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:02 -0400)

A nine-year-old boy receives a plastic Indian, a cupboard, and a little key for his birthday and finds himself involved in adventure when the Indian comes to life in the cupboard and befriends him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,015,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible