The Phantom Tollbooth The Phantom Tollbooth…

The Phantom Tollbooth The Phantom Tollbooth (original 1961; edition 2013)

by Norton Juster (Author)

13,708379299 (4.31)2 / 406
A journey through a land where Milo learns the importance of words and numbers provides a cure for his boredom.
Member:MMKY
Title:The Phantom Tollbooth The Phantom Tollbooth
Authors:Norton Juster (Author)
Info:Bullseye Books (2013)
Rating:*****
Tags:favorites

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (1961)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: A child enters a strange new world.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (aarti, calmclam)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (_Zoe_)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (Phantasma, elbakerone, heidialice)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (RRHowell, calmclam)
    RRHowell: Both are clever allegorical fantasies.
    The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews (infiniteletters)
    Momo by Michael Ende (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are wonderful old-fashioned children's stories with a deeper message - as a result they both reward reading by adults too.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    A Barrel of Laughs, A Vale of Tears by Jules Feiffer (suzanney)
    The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente (TomWaitsTables)
    The Lost Track of Time by Paige Britt (JanesList)
    JanesList: If you liked the Phantom Tollbooth (which admittedly, I didn't like as much) you will probably also like this book. It has some of the same feel because it is also a journey to another (kindof random but with its own logic) world to learn things about yourself and your own world.… (more)
    Dear Dolphin by Herbert Kenny (bmlg)
    bmlg: a quest with clever wordplay and whimsical personified ideas
    The Pirates' Mixed-up Voyage by Margaret Mahy (FFortuna)
    No Passengers Beyond This Point by Gennifer Choldenko (kaledrina)
    The Bookstore Mouse by Peggy Christian (_Zoe_)
    Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi (keristars)
    The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver (C.Vick)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (cardinalsjordan)
    The Seems: The Glitch in Sleep by John Hulme (infiniteletters)

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
An irreverent and funny adventure reminiscent of the OZ series by Baum.

Milo is a bored little boy who discovers a mysterious tollbooth in his room one day. He decides to drive his toy car through it because he couldn't think of anything better to do and he ends up in a fantastical world and undertakes a journey to bring peace back to the people he meets.

I never read this book as a kid. I don't know why because I have heard of it. I don't know if the author was influenced by Baum's OZ series, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that he was. There is the same kind of humor and literalness in the naming of the characters that Milo meets.

There are morals scattered throughout which reminded me of Aesop's Fables. Overall, I think it's a wonderful book full of puns and double meanings. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
Reminded me of The Secret Garden (haven't read Alice yet but I'm guessing also similar). Great read for all. Just come prepared with nothing & will definitely enjoy it. ( )
  sami7 | Aug 3, 2020 |
My daughter and I read this together this year. She was 10 and we both loved this story. Amazingly, tucked in amongst this fun story are hidden some great vocabulary builders, literary devices and even some maths. This is a great book for 10 to 12 year olds, and adults will also enjoy it. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
Juster's famous novel is described in the introduction as being about the value of education - I certainly agree with that but I think it is also something a little more specific and personal to Juster; how to view the world. For example the chapters on not looking at one's environment and noise pollution are not really about what one learns in school.

I was recommended the book after I mentioned why I liked Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - wit, puns, word-play. There is much of that to be found here but not a hint of the moral ambiguity that appears in the later Snicket books.

A fun book, though largely preaching to the converted in my case. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |

Pierce, David HydeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sendak, MauriceIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Andy and Kenny,
who waited so patiently
There was once a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with himself—not just sometimes, but always.
"You must never feel badly about making mistakes," explained Reason quietly," as long as you take the trouble to learn from them. For you often learn more by being wrong for the right reasons than you do by being right for the wrong reasons."
Well, since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking.
Please distinguish between this LT Work, Norton Juster's original The Phantom Tollbooth (1961), and the edition annotated by Leonard Marcus (2011). Thank you.

The Phantom Tollbooth tells the story of a bored young boy named Milo who unexpectedly receives a magic tollbooth one afternoon and, having nothing better to do, decides to drive through it in his toy car. The tollbooth transports him to a land called the Kingdom of Wisdom. There he acquires two faithful companions, has many adventures, and goes on a quest to rescue the princesses of the kingdom from the castle of air, Princess Rhyme and Princess Reason. The text is full of puns, and many events, such as Milo's jump to the Island of Conclusions, exemplify literal meanings of English language idioms.
A quite boring boy,
goes on a great adventure,
and he is changed a lot.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,681,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible