The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

The Phantom Tollbooth (original 1961; edition 1988)

by Norton Juster, Jules Feiffer (Illustrator)

10,089312282 (4.32)1 / 346
Member:miss_sarah1991
Title:The Phantom Tollbooth
Authors:Norton Juster
Other authors:Jules Feiffer (Illustrator)
Info:Bullseye Books (1988), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (Author) (1961)

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (aarti, calmclam)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (_Zoe_)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: A child enters a strange new world.
    The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews (infiniteletters)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (Phantasma, elbakerone, heidialice)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (RRHowell, calmclam)
    RRHowell: Both are clever allegorical fantasies.
    Momo by Michael Ende (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are wonderful old-fashioned children's stories with a deeper message - as a result they both reward reading by adults too.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    A Barrel of Laughs, A Vale of Tears by Jules Feiffer (suzanney)
    The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente (TomWaitsTables)
    The Pirates' Mixed-up Voyage by Margaret Mahy (FFortuna)
    No Passengers Beyond This Point by Gennifer Choldenko (kaledrina)
    The Lost Track of Time by Paige Britt (JanesList)
    JanesList: If you liked the Phantom Tollbooth (which admittedly, I didn't like as much) you will probably also like this book. It has some of the same feel because it is also a journey to another (kindof random but with its own logic) world to learn things about yourself and your own world.… (more)
    Dear Dolphin by Herbert A. Kenny (bmlg)
    bmlg: a quest with clever wordplay and whimsical personified ideas
    The Bookstore Mouse by Peggy Christian (_Zoe_)
    The Seems: The Glitch in Sleep by John Hulme (infiniteletters)
    The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver (C.Vick)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (cardinalsjordan)

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
256 pages

★★★★★

Oh what a fun and delightful book! It makes me so sad that it took me so long to get to this one (I was not a reader as a child for the most part). In fact, when my non-reading husband found out I was reading this children’s classic – he ran and dug through a box until he found his old copy from 35 years ago…and asked me to read it aloud to him and my son. Like, how cute is that? Can’t wait to read The Phantom Tollbooth once again when Paul is old enough to actually understand it.

Since it’s a children’s book, there is not big build up, it just jumps right into the fantastical story. And oh, the word play throughout is just so fun. I enjoyed the characters and the illustrations helped the story along nicely. Has great lessons and moral not just for children, but I think of people of all ages. If you missed this one, take the time to sit down and read it! It’s short, a quick read, and worth the read through!
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Still as great as I remembered. Excellent choice for my hundredth book of the year!

***

I read this like a million years ago and asked my mum if she could get it for me for my very own - and it was out of print.

Years later, it occurred to me to check up on it - and now I have it :D will reread it at very soon.
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
WOW! Get this book! Read it! Savor it! It is so charming, entertaining and well-written. You will find yourself quoting the text and thinking about the world in a different way. This is my new favorite. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |

Juster, NortonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Feiffer, JulesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dietz, NormanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sendak, MauriceIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Andy and Kenny,
who waited so patiently
There was once a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with himself—not just sometimes, but always.
"You must never feel badly about making mistakes," explained Reason quietly," as long as you take the trouble to learn from them. For you often learn more by being wrong for the right reasons than you do by being right for the wrong reasons."
Well, since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking.
Please distinguish between this LT Work, Norton Juster's original The Phantom Tollbooth (1961), and the edition annotated by Leonard Marcus (2011). Thank you.

The Phantom Tollbooth tells the story of a bored young boy named Milo who unexpectedly receives a magic tollbooth one afternoon and, having nothing better to do, decides to drive through it in his toy car. The tollbooth transports him to a land called the Kingdom of Wisdom. There he acquires two faithful companions, has many adventures, and goes on a quest to rescue the princesses of the kingdom from the castle of air, Princess Rhyme and Princess Reason. The text is full of puns, and many events, such as Milo's jump to the Island of Conclusions, exemplify literal meanings of English language idioms.
A quite boring boy,
goes on a great adventure,
and he is changed a lot.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394820371, Paperback)

"It seems to me that almost everything is a waste of time," Milo laments. "[T]here's nothing for me to do, nowhere I'd care to go, and hardly anything worth seeing." This bored, bored young protagonist who can't see the point to anything is knocked out of his glum humdrum by the sudden and curious appearance of a tollbooth in his bedroom. Since Milo has absolutely nothing better to do, he dusts off his toy car, pays the toll, and drives through. What ensues is a journey of mythic proportions, during which Milo encounters countless odd characters who are anything but dull.

Norton Juster received (and continues to receive) enormous praise for this original, witty, and oftentimes hilarious novel, first published in 1961. In an introductory "Appreciation" written by Maurice Sendak for the 35th anniversary edition, he states, "The Phantom Tollbooth leaps, soars, and abounds in right notes all over the place, as any proper masterpiece must." Indeed.

As Milo heads toward Dictionopolis he meets with the Whether Man ("for after all it's more important to know whether there will be weather than what the weather will be"), passes through The Doldrums (populated by Lethargarians), and picks up a watchdog named Tock (who has a giant alarm clock for a body). The brilliant satire and double entendre intensifies in the Word Market, where after a brief scuffle with Officer Short Shrift, Milo and Tock set off toward the Mountains of Ignorance to rescue the twin Princesses, Rhyme and Reason. Anyone with an appreciation for language, irony, or Alice in Wonderland-style adventure will adore this book for years on end. (Ages 8 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:43 -0400)

A journey through a land where Milo learns the importance of words and numbers provides a cure for his boredom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,155,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible