The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

The Phantom Tollbooth (original 1961; edition 1988)

by Norton Juster, Jules Feiffer (Illustrator)

Member:miss_sarah1991
Title:The Phantom Tollbooth
Authors:Norton Juster
Other authors:Jules Feiffer (Illustrator)
Info:Bullseye Books (1988), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (Author) (1961)

The Phantom Tollbooth is a children's novel by Norton Juster and illustrated by Jules Feiffer. Milo, a bored young boy, unexpectedly receives a magic tollbooth one afternoon. Because he has nothing better to do, he decides to drive through it in his toy car. The tollbooth transports him to a land called the Kingdom of Wisdom. There he acquires two faithful companions (a “watch” dog named Tock and Humbug, and the three of them goes on a quest to rescue the princesses of the kingdom—Princess Rhyme and Princess Reason—from the castle in the air. A sweet book for bored children with wonderful word and number play, plenty of puns and the illustrations are wonderful. This book has been described a kind of Alice in Wonderland—but I really thought it more a Wizard of Oz—because in the end there really is no place like home. 4.5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Sep 19, 2014 |
Great story. The boys and I loved it. ( )
  learn2laugh | Sep 14, 2014 |
This is my top read. I love the amazing way Juster uses language literally managing to take the common sayings we have heard so often in our own lives and making them into characters or places. I continue to recommend this book to everybody who asks me about a good book. ( )
  Denise_Barrington | Sep 5, 2014 |
This book is full of imagination and enjoyment. It is about a boy named Milo who thinks he has nothing to do. When he gets home he goes on his most wildest adventure. He finds a booth in his room that takes him into an imaginary world. He finds his way around and finds a kingdom. While there he is asked by the king to find his brother and make him agree to to helping the their twin sisters escape from the sky fortress. Milo has to go through countless feats to save the princess and fix his boredom problem.
I felt that this book is something we should all read. It is good for people with bright imagination. As far as vocabulary, this book is what you want to read. It has very fancy words. It is a very classic book although i wish the story was different. Other than the storyline everything was ok. This is my review. ( )
  JamesG.B1 | Aug 26, 2014 |
Delightful. I have only the dimmest of memories of reading it when younger, say grade 4.
4 stars on this most recent completion. I should prolly read it more often :) ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |

Juster, NortonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Feiffer, JulesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dietz, NormanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sendak, MauriceIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Andy and Kenny,
who waited so patiently
There was once a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with himself—not just sometimes, but always.
"You must never feel badly about making mistakes," explained Reason quietly," as long as you take the trouble to learn from them. For you often learn more by being wrong for the right reasons than you do by being right for the wrong reasons."
Well, since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking.
Please distinguish between this LT Work, Norton Juster's original The Phantom Tollbooth (1961), and the edition annotated by Leonard Marcus (2011). Thank you.

The Phantom Tollbooth tells the story of a bored young boy named Milo who unexpectedly receives a magic tollbooth one afternoon and, having nothing better to do, decides to drive through it in his toy car. The tollbooth transports him to a land called the Kingdom of Wisdom. There he acquires two faithful companions, has many adventures, and goes on a quest to rescue the princesses of the kingdom from the castle of air, Princess Rhyme and Princess Reason. The text is full of puns, and many events, such as Milo's jump to the Island of Conclusions, exemplify literal meanings of English language idioms.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394820371, Paperback)

"It seems to me that almost everything is a waste of time," Milo laments. "[T]here's nothing for me to do, nowhere I'd care to go, and hardly anything worth seeing." This bored, bored young protagonist who can't see the point to anything is knocked out of his glum humdrum by the sudden and curious appearance of a tollbooth in his bedroom. Since Milo has absolutely nothing better to do, he dusts off his toy car, pays the toll, and drives through. What ensues is a journey of mythic proportions, during which Milo encounters countless odd characters who are anything but dull.

Norton Juster received (and continues to receive) enormous praise for this original, witty, and oftentimes hilarious novel, first published in 1961. In an introductory "Appreciation" written by Maurice Sendak for the 35th anniversary edition, he states, "The Phantom Tollbooth leaps, soars, and abounds in right notes all over the place, as any proper masterpiece must." Indeed.

As Milo heads toward Dictionopolis he meets with the Whether Man ("for after all it's more important to know whether there will be weather than what the weather will be"), passes through The Doldrums (populated by Lethargarians), and picks up a watchdog named Tock (who has a giant alarm clock for a body). The brilliant satire and double entendre intensifies in the Word Market, where after a brief scuffle with Officer Short Shrift, Milo and Tock set off toward the Mountains of Ignorance to rescue the twin Princesses, Rhyme and Reason. Anyone with an appreciation for language, irony, or Alice in Wonderland-style adventure will adore this book for years on end. (Ages 8 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:09 -0400)

A journey through a land where Milo learns the importance of words and numbers provides a cure for his boredom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible