Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin

Until We Reach Home

by Lynn Austin

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
Wonderful story. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Wonderful story. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
My 1st Lynn Austin book. I literally couldn't put it down..I read it all day Saturday and I was left wanting more. This book could easily have been another 200 pages long.
There was so many unanswered questions left that kind of left me empty. I assume that everything works out as the author layed out.
I would like to read another of her books but I am not sure which one to pick up next.
This one was incredible and left me wanting more ! ( )
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
The book got off to a great start...then it became a sermon. The message was to "Have faith in God". I don't mind religion in books, but this was overkill in my opinion and overshadowed the story which could have been great. Sometimes less is more. ( )
  Shawna77 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Where I got the book: my local library

Elin knows that she has to get her sisters away from their farm in Sweden before they also fall prey to her uncle Sven. Finding a new home for three orphaned women in 1897 isn't an easy task, but Elin believes an uncle in America may help them to start a new life. She has to overcome her sisters' own resistance and the hardships of emigration to reach a promised land that turns out not to be what they expected.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed reading this novel. Its unpretentious writing and straightforward narrative occasionally made me feel that I was reading a YA book, but this suited a story about three young, relatively uneducated women. The spiritual themes did not emerge straightaway, which I appreciated; most inspirational authors seem compelled to drop a "God bomb" into the first chapter to establish their Christian credentials, but Austin holds back until we're familiar with the three women and understand their inner struggles.

There is a strong theme of the vulnerability of "unprotected" women (very true in the society of the 1800s, of course) and I was worried at times that the only solution would be the strong arms of a man. Thankfully, the male characters displayed many vulnerabilities of their own, and in the end the most dominant characters in this book were the secondary female ones. The solutions to the protagonists' dilemmas were slightly farfetched, but satisfying.

The Swedish settings were fascinating, and made me want to know more about Chicago's Swedish community, which I've only experienced very briefly in the neighborhood of North Park college (mentioned in the book). The details about Ellis Island were quite illuminating, and the depiction of life aboard an immigrant ship kept me interested. All in all, an enjoyable historical-inspirational-romance read. ( )
  JaneSteen | Dec 26, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764204955, Paperback)

Life in Sweden seems like an endless winter for three sisters after their mother's death and father's suicide. Elin feels the weight of responsibility for her sisters' welfare, and when circumstances become unbearable, she writes to her relatives in Chicago, pleading for help.

Joining sixteen million other immigrants who left their homelands for America between 1890 and 1920, Elin, Kirsten, and Sofia begin the long, difficult journey. Enduring the ocean voyage in steerage and detention on Ellis Island, their story is America's story. And in a journey fraught with hardships, each woman will come to understand her secret longings and the meaning of home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:18 -0400)

Life in Sweden seems like an endless winter for three sisters after their mother's and father's suicides. Ellin writes to her relatives in Chicago, pleading for help. Joining 16 million other immigrants who leave their homelands for America between 1890 and 1920, Ellin, Kirsten, and Sophia begin the long, difficult journey fraught with hardships.… (more)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,394,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible