Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin

Until We Reach Home

by Lynn Austin

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
My 1st Lynn Austin book. I literally couldn't put it down..I read it all day Saturday and I was left wanting more. This book could easily have been another 200 pages long.
There was so many unanswered questions left that kind of left me empty. I assume that everything works out as the author layed out.
I would like to read another of her books but I am not sure which one to pick up next.
This one was incredible and left me wanting more ! ( )
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
The book got off to a great start...then it became a sermon. The message was to "Have faith in God". I don't mind religion in books, but this was overkill in my opinion and overshadowed the story which could have been great. Sometimes less is more. ( )
  Shawna77 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Where I got the book: my local library

Elin knows that she has to get her sisters away from their farm in Sweden before they also fall prey to her uncle Sven. Finding a new home for three orphaned women in 1897 isn't an easy task, but Elin believes an uncle in America may help them to start a new life. She has to overcome her sisters' own resistance and the hardships of emigration to reach a promised land that turns out not to be what they expected.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed reading this novel. Its unpretentious writing and straightforward narrative occasionally made me feel that I was reading a YA book, but this suited a story about three young, relatively uneducated women. The spiritual themes did not emerge straightaway, which I appreciated; most inspirational authors seem compelled to drop a "God bomb" into the first chapter to establish their Christian credentials, but Austin holds back until we're familiar with the three women and understand their inner struggles.

There is a strong theme of the vulnerability of "unprotected" women (very true in the society of the 1800s, of course) and I was worried at times that the only solution would be the strong arms of a man. Thankfully, the male characters displayed many vulnerabilities of their own, and in the end the most dominant characters in this book were the secondary female ones. The solutions to the protagonists' dilemmas were slightly farfetched, but satisfying.

The Swedish settings were fascinating, and made me want to know more about Chicago's Swedish community, which I've only experienced very briefly in the neighborhood of North Park college (mentioned in the book). The details about Ellis Island were quite illuminating, and the depiction of life aboard an immigrant ship kept me interested. All in all, an enjoyable historical-inspirational-romance read. ( )
  JaneSteen | Dec 26, 2011 |
Elin Carlson lost both of her parents; so she must find a safe haven for her sisters, Kersten and Sofia. They decide to leave Sweden and go to Chicago. In Chicago they are hoping to find the true meaning of love, faith and a home.
  peacelutheran | Jun 16, 2011 |
This is the story of three orphaned Swedish sisters who immigrate to America through Ellis Island, eventually to Chicago. I would categorize the writing style of this book as being young adult -- on about a sixth or seventh grade reading level. However, there are scenes that make you certain that this book was not intended for an audience that young. There is a lot of action that really doesn't build anything and just draws the plot out for more pages. This 428 page could have easily been edited to a book of no more than 270 pages and still achieved its desired outcome. It was so obvious each time you met a character what would happen later in the novel. In spite of all the novel's faults, I did eventually become engaged in the story line of the novel although I could already predict the outcome. Although I'm a Christian, I really don't read a lot of Christian fiction (although I did at one time). The main reason is because most Christian publishers need to pay more attention to editorial processes and quality writing. I read this novel because I'll be attending a conference in a couple of weeks where this author will be one of the keynote speakers. If you can overlook the writing, the story is somewhat interesting. ( )
1 vote thornton37814 | May 19, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764204955, Paperback)

Life in Sweden seems like an endless winter for three sisters after their mother's death and father's suicide. Elin feels the weight of responsibility for her sisters' welfare, and when circumstances become unbearable, she writes to her relatives in Chicago, pleading for help.

Joining sixteen million other immigrants who left their homelands for America between 1890 and 1920, Elin, Kirsten, and Sofia begin the long, difficult journey. Enduring the ocean voyage in steerage and detention on Ellis Island, their story is America's story. And in a journey fraught with hardships, each woman will come to understand her secret longings and the meaning of home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:18 -0400)

Life in Sweden seems like an endless winter for three sisters after their mother's and father's suicides. Ellin writes to her relatives in Chicago, pleading for help. Joining 16 million other immigrants who leave their homelands for America between 1890 and 1920, Ellin, Kirsten, and Sophia begin the long, difficult journey fraught with hardships.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible